Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Leveling a vanguard


DariusCalera's Avatar


DariusCalera
02.14.2013 , 08:49 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Thrombin View Post
I like to level as tank because I find group play a bit stressful and you can solo more content as a tank. There are some fights I'd never be able to solo as dps.
Once you get Elara as a companion, on Taris, it's pretty much smooth sailing as you level.

RidgeBlader's Avatar


RidgeBlader
02.17.2013 , 03:42 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroPlus View Post
Tanks (any tank) will take 2-3 times longer to kill a single mob compared to a DPS. That is why many think that it is faster to level as a DPS.

I don't agree.

A Tank (any tank) will live 2-3 times longer against a hard hitting mob compared to a DPS and against normal mobs you take almost no damage compared to a DPS. You can level just as fast as a DPS (some would argue, faster than a DPS). You just have to play to your strength as a Tank.

When levelling as a Tank you have to take into account your main strength: SURVIVABILITY. So, instead of fighting one mob at a time and taking forever to do it, fight groups of mobs at the same time and use your Area of Effect (AoE) attacks to kill them. As a Tank you can take on 5-6 mobs at the same time and kill them all in roughly the same time it would take you to kill 1 mob.
I disagree with you on the fact that you can level as fast. I have leveled at JK Guardian as a tank and that was slow and a little boring until I specced into DPS.

I have been leveling my Vanguard as DPS and am powering through. Although that has to do with the PVP I am doing as well. Which I never did on my knight.

I can burn mobs faster on my vanguard as we have AoE too. 5 or 6 mobs are no sweat with my pocket healer tanking while I stand back and AoE. Really it's should always be slower as a tank simply because you will take longer to complete quests that require you to kill 30 of any mob. You get arguably more XP from completing quests than you do farming mobs.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroPlus View Post
It actually "trains" you to be a better tank.

If you really want to level as a tank you can do so and do so quite well. It is stressful but it is also very rewarding. It is great to hear from a total stranger "great tanking!".
This I think is a key point - you learn your roll and learn it well leveling as a particular spec. The quirks and failings not to mention having your fingers memorise the hot-keyed location of your skills - providing you don't keep changing it up.
Success is measured in blood; yours or your enemy´s

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
02.17.2013 , 04:25 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by RidgeBlader View Post
I have leveled at JK Guardian as a tank and that was slow and a little boring until I specced into DPS.
There is a massive difference between leveling a Guardian as a tank and a VG as a tank. Guardians are crippled by a resource starving stance and knowingly terrible DPS, which is only exacerbated while leveling because you don't have the upper level talents that make playing a Guardian tank less terrible. VGs have the only tank stance without *any* negative side effects *and* amazing AoE attacks that they get virtually from the outset. Comparing leveling a Guardian tank with a VG tank is comparing apples and oranges, especially if the apples are growing on a tree in the desert and the oranges are growing on a tree in a lush, tended grove.

I've leveled a VG and a PT, the former as a tank and the latter as a DPS, and I can honestly say that the tank leveled up just as effectively, if not slightly more so: taking less damage and being able to solo virtually everything that exists without any effort more than made up for killing slightly slower (and it is *slightly* slower while leveling because 90% of leveling gear is DPS focused until you get into your 40s and you get all of the survivability you need out of pure armor rating as a tank).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

tacoknite's Avatar


tacoknite
02.18.2013 , 12:16 PM | #14
The difference is marginally small in any tree while leveling.

I do warzones almost exclusively and zip through the main quests.

You may kill slower going tank but it's not that huge of a difference and you have better survivability with less downtime.

from 1-20 you are best to spread your spec out maximizing your damage in each of the trees. You can always respec as well and find what works best for you.

I personally switch it up, legacy perk depending on how im doing. To be 100% honest though, keep your gear up to date with mods and oranges, and do the same with your companion. since this is like my 5th alt and have a bit of extra cash, i just auto attack through everything.

Spacish's Avatar


Spacish
02.18.2013 , 04:35 PM | #15
As a Tactics Vanguard, I have been leveling extremely well. My primary companion is Dorne, and being that most enemies you face tend to attack within melee range, Tactics tends to fare pretty well when it comes to both PvP and PvE, provided that you are familiar with your mechanics.

Thrombin's Avatar


Thrombin
02.19.2013 , 05:46 AM | #16
To be honest, I tend to level too fast for my liking. I like to do all the quests to get the most out of the story but I'm finding myself out levelling the quests before too long.

I'm not really interested in the end game as it's the story I like the best. Once I hit 50 I'll probably just start on the next character!