Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Does Dark Side Corruption Make Sense?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Does Dark Side Corruption Make Sense?

Arlon_Nabarlly's Avatar


Arlon_Nabarlly
01.31.2013 , 10:06 AM | #1
I'm certainly not an expert in Star Wars lore, but it seems to me that dark side corruption doesn't makes sense. In this game having dark side corruption on turns your character white, regardless of what color their skin is. Sith Pureblood is a race of red skinned humanoids who focus on mastery of the dark side. Then why are they not white? They seem to take pride in their red skin, but in this game going full dark side makes them white. This makes 0 sense to me. In Episode I Darth Maul was very dark red and black, does this mean he had 0 affinity with the dark side?

Is there are lore explanation to this? Does this bother others like it does me?

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.31.2013 , 10:54 AM | #2
More likely than not, most people, even if they lean to the dark side, are not full dark side.

Think about all the bad things people have done in history. Check out what slavery has done through out history. You're also basically killing indiscriminately. Being evil for evils sake. Dark Side 5 is that.

Also, they have the ability to hide it, look at SI storyline. Though that would also leave one wondering why the pureblood sith wouldn't revel in being turned white to prove just how darkside slanted they are.

Also, if the movies are any indications, the darkside taint we see is basically a game feature. Palpatine didn't look the way he did because he was dark side, he looked the way he did because he had his own force lightning turned back on him.

The game just made a way for evil people to look different

Arlon_Nabarlly's Avatar


Arlon_Nabarlly
01.31.2013 , 11:02 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Think about all the bad things people have done in history. Check out what slavery has done through out history. You're also basically killing indiscriminately. Being evil for evils sake. Dark Side 5 is that.

You're equating being evil with the dark side. There are similarities, but it's not exactly the same, but for the sake of argument let's assume ds=evil. We are talking about the Sith, who the entire emphasis of their teaching is that the dark side is better and where you should put all your focus. That's very different than comparing that to your average Joe on the street. The goal of a sith is get to dark side 5, if that's true then why wouldn't a Sith Pureblood be more proud of being white than red?

DakotaDoc's Avatar


DakotaDoc
01.31.2013 , 11:22 AM | #4
I think this needs to be fixed by having an option to show Dark Side corruption "eyes only". Having a twi'lek turn white that should be red is not good. So one misses out on having the corrupt eyes. IMO this is broken.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.31.2013 , 11:46 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlon_Nabarlly View Post
You're equating being evil with the dark side. There are similarities, but it's not exactly the same, but for the sake of argument let's assume ds=evil. We are talking about the Sith, who the entire emphasis of their teaching is that the dark side is better and where you should put all your focus. That's very different than comparing that to your average Joe on the street. The goal of a sith is get to dark side 5, if that's true then why wouldn't a Sith Pureblood be more proud of being white than red?
Of course being Dark Side is evil.

Killing lots of civilians is evil. In a war it might be seen as a nessasary evil, but it's evil none-the-less. Enslaving others is evil. And evil often times tries to play the "point of view" card.

Anakin became evil. He didn't have to stay a part of the Jedi Order. No one is ever forced into being a Jedi. If he didn't like the Jedi Order's rules, he could've quit. Instead he killed a bunch of younglings, and decided the best way to save everyone was to enforce his desires onto everyone.

Dark Side 5 is all about showing power over others every possible way. Dark side 5 is pure evil. Even if it leads to the easier path of great power.

Arlon_Nabarlly's Avatar


Arlon_Nabarlly
01.31.2013 , 01:02 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DakotaDoc View Post
I think this needs to be fixed by having an option to show Dark Side corruption "eyes only". Having a twi'lek turn white that should be red is not good. So one misses out on having the corrupt eyes. IMO this is broken.
Yeah, I was thinking something more like this would make sense

Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Of course being Dark Side is evil.
Anakin: "From my point of view the Jedi are evil!"

psandak's Avatar


psandak
01.31.2013 , 02:46 PM | #7
Obviously, the effect stems from how Palpatine looks in RotS and RotJ - very pale, nearly translucent skin with blood vessels showing through; the wrinkles not withstanding. The problem is that he was human and the effect apparently does not translate well to non-human species.

At this point you have two options - accept it as is, or turn it off.

I agree that an "eyes only" option is a good compromise.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
01.31.2013 , 03:01 PM | #8
It makes no sense on Pureblood, I agree.

Surinen's Avatar


Surinen
01.31.2013 , 03:45 PM | #9
It might make a sense, depends on how dilluted is a blood of a Pureblood - they much more transformed from originals

and Korian, no, dark side is not evil, killing is no evil, you simply kill - no need to attach values to it. outcome of a kill might be right or wrong, depends on a situation.
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.

Tattari's Avatar


Tattari
01.31.2013 , 03:55 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Of course being Dark Side is evil.

Killing lots of civilians is evil. In a war it might be seen as a nessasary evil, but it's evil none-the-less. Enslaving others is evil. And evil often times tries to play the "point of view" card.

Anakin became evil. He didn't have to stay a part of the Jedi Order. No one is ever forced into being a Jedi. If he didn't like the Jedi Order's rules, he could've quit. Instead he killed a bunch of younglings, and decided the best way to save everyone was to enforce his desires onto everyone.

Dark Side 5 is all about showing power over others every possible way. Dark side 5 is pure evil. Even if it leads to the easier path of great power.
I will disagree with you on thing: Not every darkside option in the game is considered "evil" and not every lightside option is considered "good."

Like....on Ord Mantell. the kid that you go find in the separatists base thing, you get darkside points for telling him to go back home, to be with family. While on Dromund Kaas, you get lightside points for killing the slaves at the Colossus.

Not everything in that game is that black and white.