Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Leveling and End Game as an OP

Snugglepie
01.31.2013 , 03:07 AM | #1
Hello! I am new to being an operative but so far I am enjoying it very much! I am wondering Which spec is the best to level as and with what companion!? Also in end game I plan on PvPing, which spec is recommended/enjoyable. If you have any helpful tips they are very much appreciated! Also been looking for some good PvP action for Op Healers/guide on how too be a "good" op in PvP! Thanks!

ekimmak
01.31.2013 , 03:20 AM | #2
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it. I don't have experience with operatives, but I do have experience with their mirror, and with snipers, so I should be able to give a good opinion.

First of all, do you want to take a blaze through or die hard approach, or do you prefer a more cautious tactic? Concealment is for the former, as you can backstab your way through a good deal of content, but Medicine makes it very difficult for enemies to put your companion down.

As concealment, you'd want to play with Kaliyo, until you unlock Vector, and then with Vector until you unlock Temple. Ranged DPS companions work very well with concealment/scrapper, because you can kite heavy targets while they put down whatever's annoying you, and have some nice AoEs. Besides, you'll get to give her hand-me-down cunning gear.

If you're going medicine, you might as well stick with Kaliyo until Belsavis, and then switch over to Scorpio. If you're feeling a little risky, you could team up with either Vector or Temple, depending on your tastes, but keep a well geared tank for those big fights.

Lethality is not a very good tree until you get the acid grenade. It's a very energy hungry skillset, and until you get to inflict poison on multiple targets with one shot, you'll have a lot of trouble managing it.

In the endgame, lethality is the technically superior tree to concealment, which lacks a lot of sustained DPS. To be totally honest, operative DPS trees aren't really that good at all, and most people want healers anyway.

Edit: Noticed that you said you want PVP action. In that case, definitely take healing for the endgame. Healing Operatives are pretty much immortal thanks to their emergency heal, and although don't pump out the same numbers under pressure, are the only healers that specifically take focus fire to shut down.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

HollowVamp
02.08.2013 , 12:10 AM | #3
wow, I find ekimmak's sig soo damn amusing
It's not the GREAT who are STRONG
It's the STRONG who are GREAT

cultivatedmass
02.08.2013 , 03:55 PM | #4
rush 11 points into concealment for lacerate then 18 points into healing for 30% chance for TA on hot proc.

that is the best way to level as an operative.

provides you with the best sustained damage and survivability.

Defecter
02.08.2013 , 05:04 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Snugglepie View Post
Hello! I am new to being an operative but so far I am enjoying it very much! I am wondering Which spec is the best to level as and with what companion!?
Any really. If you truly want easy, go down the healing tree. I've solo'd most Heroic 4s and below up untill Tatooine with this spec (not just the stealth -> pick up objective heroics either). After this point you can pretty much solo every Heroic 2+, just not above unless it's a stealthable pickup mission.
Quote:
Also in end game I plan on PvPing, which spec is recommended/enjoyable. If you have any helpful tips they are very much appreciated! Also been looking for some good PvP action for Op Healers/guide on how too be a "good" op in PvP! Thanks!
I am very much enjoying healing in PvP as an OP. It's the most mobile healer in the game and because of that it's the only class I can stomach healing with. Mainly due to the fact I very much dislike 'caster' classes. Cast times suck arse.

Besides, the other specs are not really that good unless you're in a dedicated PvP premade. DPS operatives are a bit on the weak side at the moment. In pugs, they tend to get destroyed the moment they finish their opening rotation from stealth because a lot depends on stealth for concealment operatives. And if you want to play Lethality... Snipers will laugh at you, because they get to do the exact same thing, only from 30m away behind a protective shield and loads more hard-hitting abilities.

tacito
02.17.2013 , 06:38 AM | #6
I leveled as pure concealment, first with Kaliyo as companion and then Dr. Loken. Had incredibly much fun, went through it like a knife through butter while still encountering challenging fights. Perfect experience.

However, that was so long ago it's barely true anymore, with all the changes to the class in the meantime. Might still work for you, might not. I'm really not sure.