Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lethality Operative Tutorial video

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
Lethality Operative Tutorial video

Ravashakk
01.30.2013 , 09:50 PM | #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sThT2...ature=youtu.be

I had a lot of questions pertaining to the things I included in the video. I hope it helps out for any who strive to play the spec.

It isn't an advanced tutorial that will tell you what to do in every situation, but it does give you a basic feel for how the spec plays.
Medicine/Lethality PVP Patch 2.3
I don't tab dot to fluff my damage...I tab dot so that when I'm done wrecking your buddy, I can move right on to wrecking you.

DCVAN
01.31.2013 , 10:38 AM | #2
I've been playing lethality in pugs, and I think it is a very underrated spec. Most people see lethality operatives as multi-dotters that do fluff damage, but in reality, it can be a very bursty spec. I've had more success bursting people down as lethality than concealment. Cull is one of the harder hitting abilities in the game, and it can be fired back to back. My operative just hit 50 so I'm still in the gearing process. I only have like 16k hp, so people tend to target me. I love kiting them to the side and setting up on them, then debilitate and go to town. Double culls or explosive probe + cull can really take players by surprise.

The only downfall with the spec is the setup required. With the amount of setup and the limited window to use your precious TA's, bubblestuns can be the bane of my existence. It definitely takes some finesse to play and I'm not quite there yet, but hopefully things will get better with experience and gear. I really do enjoy the playstyle, and thank you for the guide. I wasn't quite sure how i wanted to gear yet, so this helped.
Fouronethree - Level 55 Operative - The Harbinger
Kruz - Level 55 Sage - The Bastion

Cryowolf
01.31.2013 , 02:40 PM | #3
Ravashakk, thanks for the video. I learned a few more things about this great spec.

Quote: Originally Posted by DCVAN View Post
Double culls or explosive probe + cull can really take players by surprise.
It's also great when you get your timing down for a Cull, Cull, Shiv, Cull.

Quote: Originally Posted by DCVAN View Post
...the limited window to use your precious TA's...
I am planning to try out a couple points in Medical Consult to extend TA's uptime, maybe that will help you out, as well.
Raisins--Scoundrel--The Harbinger

Ravashakk
01.31.2013 , 09:05 PM | #4
Keeping TA up was an issue when I started out. Not having the auto procs from the healing tree, the longer duration, and higher stack limit made the transition harder. After awhile, you get to learn how to keep it up which will save you those 2 points (I considered them when I started).

A skill that will help you is not always trying to save them for some Ungodly burst phase. If a TA is running out, either pop stim boost or use it on someone if you can't shiv.
I don't tab dot to fluff my damage...I tab dot so that when I'm done wrecking your buddy, I can move right on to wrecking you.

tatatan
02.02.2013 , 01:31 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cryowolf View Post
I am planning to try out a couple points in Medical Consult to extend TA's uptime, maybe that will help you out, as well.
@op: thanks for this video :-)

As for 'medical consult', i use it, because the 10sec of TA stack hold is not enough, not in pve, not in pvp.
This is my spec i run currently mostly with:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#401bczZrZhrbkrMGdGo.2

- i dont use 'adhesive corrosives', instead i put 2 pts to 'escape plan'
- i use 'counter strike' as in pvp you're mezzed all the time
- i dont use 'lingering toxins' not in pvp, not in pve (in pve it makes me mistakes as it is hard to watch which version of poison is up -> loosing dps and in pvp it's obviosly making ppl un-cc-able for 30 seconds, which is not good and after i die it keeps me in 'aggro' too long

Ravashakk
02.02.2013 , 11:46 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by tatatan View Post
@op: thanks for this video :-)

As for 'medical consult', i use it, because the 10sec of TA stack hold is not enough, not in pve, not in pvp.
This is my spec i run currently mostly with:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#401bczZrZhrbkrMGdGo.2
Yeah I can't blame anyone for wanting that talent. Just for me it is a matter of what I'm losing compared to what I can deal with. Some can't.

- i dont use 'adhesive corrosives', instead i put 2 pts to 'escape plan'
Good tradeoff I've done a few times.

- i use 'counter strike' as in pvp you're mezzed all the time
I might be confused, but I thought it only removed slows/roots, not mezzes. Haven't tested it before. Doesn't sound like it should work that way.

- i dont use 'lingering toxins' not in pvp, not in pve (in pve it makes me mistakes as it is hard to watch which version of poison is up -> loosing dps and in pvp it's obviosly making ppl un-cc-able for 30 seconds, which is not good and after i die it keeps me in 'aggro' too long
Valid points, but the counter to that is:

1. Your dots are already making ppl un-cc-able for 18/21 seconds.
2. Your strong dots are gonna keep you in combat until they wear off too, and sometimes longer because bw fails at their combat dropping system.

The dot confusion is an issue because of the lack of a good UI when it comes to debuffs and personal dots (warcraft has bigger ones). Should have something on the debuff that makes it different than the stronger version IMO.

The talent also gives the the 15% dmg reduction to periodic effects, which you're missing out on. Most every spec of every class has a DoT of sort....some of which do a lot of dmg. IMO this talent reduces more dmg than the 4% dmg reduction in the healing tree against certain teams.

Mel_the_Jedi
02.19.2013 , 11:04 AM | #7
I have a couple questions on the importance of accuracy. If the white damage portion of a Cull misses, do the yellow portions still hit? I notice you only have 90% accuracy in your vid. Is that only because you also use that gear for healing, or is your recommendation that 90% is optimal for lethality?

**Edited for clarity on questions.

Ravashakk
02.19.2013 , 11:41 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mel_the_Jedi View Post
I have a couple questions on the importance of accuracy. If the white damage portion of a Cull misses, do the yellow portions still hit? I notice you only have 90% accuracy in your vid. Is that only because you also use that gear for healing, or is your recommendation that 90% is optimal for lethality?

The white dmg of cull can miss and the yellow will still hit. It happens sometimes, but not worth trading off surge (which affects all your yellow attacks) to compensate. Even if you don't consider the dual gearing for healing and lethality.

MobiusZero
02.20.2013 , 12:54 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Mel_the_Jedi View Post

Yeah, people tend to go by Concealment guides for their stat placement, but it's not 100% applicable to Lethality.

Pushing crit a little bit higher than usual, is a good idea for Lethality, for example. This is because of the +energy on crits. A good way to do this, is increase your cunning as much as possible (DEFINITELY go for +cunning augments only.), since the crit bonus from cunning is seperate from the soft cap on +crit. Then boost your crit stat a bit higher than normal, as well. I like to be at about 40% or so, but I've heard of some going even higher.

And as you mention, accuracy is actually a factor for us, unlike Concealment. You definitely want to put a little bit into it, since a 10% lower chance of your white Cull damage or Rifle Shot missing, is going to do a lot more than a few extra points in surge, which should already be soft capped anyways.

And if you don't use Rifle Shot? Then you must have an unlimited pool of energy at all times, unlike me . Either that, or you have room for improvement!

Ravashakk
02.20.2013 , 04:09 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MobiusZero View Post
Yeah, people tend to go by Concealment guides for their stat placement, but it's not 100% applicable to Lethality.

Pushing crit a little bit higher than usual, is a good idea for Lethality, for example. This is because of the +energy on crits. A good way to do this, is increase your cunning as much as possible (DEFINITELY go for +cunning augments only.), since the crit bonus from cunning is seperate from the soft cap on +crit. Then boost your crit stat a bit higher than normal, as well. I like to be at about 40% or so, but I've heard of some going even higher.

And as you mention, accuracy is actually a factor for us, unlike Concealment. You definitely want to put a little bit into it, since a 10% lower chance of your white Cull damage or Rifle Shot missing, is going to do a lot more than a few extra points in surge, which should already be soft capped anyways.

And if you don't use Rifle Shot? Then you must have an unlimited pool of energy at all times, unlike me . Either that, or you have room for improvement!
I agree with pretty much everything except the crit part. Now having more crit isn't a bad thing, but it is based on what you're looking for. When I'm around 37% crit, the math points to power giving more of a boost to almost all of my attacks than crit. So at that point, you have to juggle energy efficiency vs throughput. Are you having energy issues? Then get more crit. Is energy fine but you want to hit harder? More power. There isn't a real "winner" between 35-40%.