Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gav Daragon is a ROLE PLAYING server Mkay?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > Gav Daragon
Gav Daragon is a ROLE PLAYING server Mkay?

Jeweledleah
01.31.2013 , 12:01 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
never really understood what are the advantages of a role playing server. So everybody is supposed to be more mature, have some better names and impose themselves a set of personal roleplaying rules?
the only advantage really is that if you are a roleplayer and looking for other people to role play with? role playing servers are supposed to be a designated location for like minded people to meet and role play together. its pretty similar to joining a science ficiton book club, because you enjoy science fiction and want to discuss it with other people who also enjoy science fiction. regular book club could have too many varying tastes including "you can pick anything but sci-fi as book of the month" and I'm quoting an organizer of a club that I joined and left the same day.
so to bring it back to role playing servers - majority come there looking for rp. some join because rp servers seem to have the reputation for maturity. that probably stems from the fact that role players tend to respect other role players space and that extends to everything else.

you don't need to role play actively to play on a role playing server. but you ARE expected to respect other people who do. so its very frustrating when people join specifically to troll. sadly, its also unavoidable because well.. humans. we range from nice to awful. but even understanding that you cannot always stop it, doesn't stop you from being frustrated when something you were having fun with, was ruined. like a spiteful child, stomping all over your sand castle that you've been building for hours.
eh, jumping on that refer-a-friend signature trend. you get stuff, I can stuff - click if you'd like

FreePrometheus
01.31.2013 , 06:49 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
never really understood what are the advantages of a role playing server. So everybody is supposed to be more mature, have some better names and impose themselves a set of personal roleplaying rules?
No, no and no. If you want to roleplay, fair enough, the guildmaster of a particular group might impose certain rules. But mostly they are IC. Otherwise, the only rules are common courtesy. As has been stated, names are really not upheld on RP servers. Fine, i may not want to have to refer to someone as (insert silly name here) IC, as it breaks immersion. But if you are just a casual gamer, then i can understand. As for maturity, well, i would have thought that was a given for any server. But there is no problem releasing your inner child now and again. It is just the difference between letting your hair down and trolling, for some people, is the same.

I know people who play on RP servers because they just want to play the game storylines. In short, no one is forced to do anything other than show a little respect to those who DO want to roleplay.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. - Yoda

Manifoldgodhead
01.31.2013 , 09:26 AM | #23
I am heavy role player but I never roll on RP servers because it breaks my immersion. They are always full of people spouting off their back stories and trying to ignore game mechanics instead of incorporating them into the experience. If someone is trolling it being an ******e they are role playing an ******e. The real world has ******e so it would be weird to have a fictional world without them.

Funky names? It's science fiction who doesn't have a funky name? Even funky names in a fantasy setting can make sense if you use your inagination. I generally find the people who call themselves RO to be the worst role players, completely obsessed with some obscure internal story they are trying to play out. The developers are the dungeon masters and mechanics of the game is the design if the world and if your character doesn't fit in the world then your failing as a role player.
ITS THE FUTURE

Thundergulch
01.31.2013 , 11:18 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Ailie View Post
. But what we do ask is to be respected for what we do.
Respect is EARNED.
Demanding that people RP only on an RP server, is like demanind that PVE servers ONLY PVE, and PVP servers PVP.

DarthLeeloo
01.31.2013 , 11:42 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundergulch View Post
Respect is EARNED.
Demanding that people RP only on an RP server, is like demanind that PVE servers ONLY PVE, and PVP servers PVP.
No one demanded that.

Thundergulch
01.31.2013 , 11:51 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthLeeloo View Post
No one demanded that.
From the OP:
"Do yourselves and us a favour and just take your small minded attitude to Dalborra where you're more likely to fit in"

FromTheDuDe
01.31.2013 , 11:58 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Manifoldgodhead View Post
I am heavy role player but I never roll on RP servers because it breaks my immersion. They are always full of people spouting off their back stories and trying to ignore game mechanics instead of incorporating them into the experience. If someone is trolling it being an ******e they are role playing an ******e. The real world has ******e so it would be weird to have a fictional world without them.

Funky names? It's science fiction who doesn't have a funky name? Even funky names in a fantasy setting can make sense if you use your inagination. I generally find the people who call themselves RO to be the worst role players, completely obsessed with some obscure internal story they are trying to play out. The developers are the dungeon masters and mechanics of the game is the design if the world and if your character doesn't fit in the world then your failing as a role player.
Pretty much this, I RP a serial killer sometimes and just gank any and all players I come across as possible....yet people say Im just being a troll and ruining their RP experience.....yet Im rping.....Its a wierd conundrum where its like "HEY YOU'RE NOT RPING THE WAY I WANT YOU TOO SO YOU'RE NOT A RPER YOU'RE A TROLL!" when in fact I am Role Playing by the actual role playing rules...Im playing the role of a psychotic serial killer -.-

ticklefist
01.31.2013 , 11:59 AM | #28
From the OP:
"Do yourselves and us a favour and just take your small minded attitude to Dalborra where you're more likely to fit in"
Well get back to us after you've learned how to keep quotes in context.

DarthLeeloo
01.31.2013 , 12:00 PM | #29
From the OP:
But not necessarily directed at all non-RPers. Just ones who go out of their way to troll RPers on an RP server.

-Sirus-
01.31.2013 , 12:01 PM | #30
Reality is that server type gets little or no consideration when many players choose where to play. These people tend to pick a server because they have RL friends there, friends from previous games there, it the highest average population for the region, they liked the name, or they just picked at random.

This is why you end up with people who seem to have a personal loathing of RP on the RP servers. Though you should at least get less of these people on an RP server than a non-RP server.

I originally rolled on the old Kath Hound RP server not because I expected to do much RP, but because my internal image of the average player on RP servers is more to my liking than the alternatives. A few months before the first server mergers, my guild all rerolled onto Ebon Hawk because Kath Hound's population was not in great shape. Had the guild leaders chosen a non-RP server, we'd have still probably all switched because people put higher priority on playing with people they know than server type.

In the end, it's not too much to ask that players on RP servers realize what type of server they are on and not make active attempts to disrupt the RPers on the RP server. Nobody is forcing you to take part, leave the area, or choose a different server. Just keep playing your game instead of stopping to harass others trying to play theirs.