Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will sorcerers die?

psybernetic
02.05.2013 , 11:30 AM | #41
There's a sorc on Pot5 by the name of Depreva who absolutely wrecks wzs and is pretty solid in duels. Granted, I've no idea what the numbers are in rwzs, but in a regular Huttball match I saw Depreva's numbers at around 400k damage, and I think that match was as lightning.

While the class as a whole might be somewhere in the realm of mushrooms, by no means is it completely inviable. My 50 sorc is pve-only and is more or less a free kill whenever I get jumped, but in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, sorcs are a nasty power.
Psychedelic ViolenceXCrime of Visual Shock
Spice must flow.
Vorbis voce Imperatoris loquitur.
Nocturnus sum.

Scovina
02.05.2013 , 11:30 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Atramar View Post
No one is forcing any one to play anything else.
But, every time I do new char I think, what it would be doing. Will it be a healer? or a dps? or a tank? Will it be good for pvp? does it have mobility/survival buttons?
If you stick to spec that sucks for pvp, and refuse to adapt, then I'm sorry.
For healing, again, I heard that bubbles are very desirable , but , was it till 1.2 that my operative healer was 'go away' kinda class? all just assumed they suck and only sorc healers existed? Tons of force for Sorc and energy managment for operative. Every class has pros and cons. One AC is good for pve, other for pvp. Simples.
That is the problem we are talking about. You shouldn't have to spec into a specific AC to play in any area of the game. Again I'm not saying we are screwed but we are definitely low on the totem pole. They nerfed our aoe damage because they said it was too much then they gave warriors lolsmash. Seriously *** is the reasoning behind this? It is because those that were bad at noticing a rdps was on them got pissed and complained that it was too much damage. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't complain about the same things being done to us. Not like BW has been listening but if we don't stick up for ourselves no one will.

Scovina
02.05.2013 , 11:36 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by psybernetic View Post
There's a sorc on Pot5 by the name of Depreva who absolutely wrecks wzs and is pretty solid in duels. Granted, I've no idea what the numbers are in rwzs, but in a regular Huttball match I saw Depreva's numbers at around 400k damage, and I think that match was as lightning.

While the class as a whole might be somewhere in the realm of mushrooms, by no means is it completely inviable. My 50 sorc is pve-only and is more or less a free kill whenever I get jumped, but in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, sorcs are a nasty power.
Seeing as I'm from Las Vegas I'd be willing to wager most of his damage in wz's is from dots. That's how I get the largest chunk of mine when I run lightning. If I can remain unmolested I can make it very hard for the other team to take down my teammates before my teammates take them seeing as I add on damage. I get it we are a support role and that does not really bother me. However we aren't exactly the glass cannon we should be.

1 vs 1 is an interesting arena for us. If you stay on your toes we do have a lot of abilities that make it hard for people to take us out. It's more of a cat and mouse game with me trying to outlast an alpha strike while I whittle your life away and slow/harass you enough to kill you. I do have some nukes in my arsenal as well so it's not all dots dots dots.

LastWizard
02.05.2013 , 11:51 PM | #44
I think they are getting a good buff with 1.7.

psybernetic
02.06.2013 , 01:24 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Scovina View Post
Seeing as I'm from Las Vegas I'd be willing to wager most of his damage in wz's is from dots. That's how I get the largest chunk of mine when I run lightning. If I can remain unmolested I can make it very hard for the other team to take down my teammates before my teammates take them seeing as I add on damage. I get it we are a support role and that does not really bother me. However we aren't exactly the glass cannon we should be.

1 vs 1 is an interesting arena for us. If you stay on your toes we do have a lot of abilities that make it hard for people to take us out. It's more of a cat and mouse game with me trying to outlast an alpha strike while I whittle your life away and slow/harass you enough to kill you. I do have some nukes in my arsenal as well so it's not all dots dots dots.
Evidently all it really takes is knowing what you're doing and having competent teammates, as a few videos I looked up have shown.

I'm trying to decide whether to take an alt up as a sorc or sin for pvp. Not lookng for ezmode, since I have a rage jugg for that.

Then there's this guy who has a couple vids up as full lightning. http://www.bradleey.com/#!sorcerer/c1x2p
Spice must flow.
Nocturnus sum.

Scovina
02.06.2013 , 02:34 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by psybernetic View Post
Evidently all it really takes is knowing what you're doing and having competent teammates, as a few videos I looked up have shown.

I'm trying to decide whether to take an alt up as a sorc or sin for pvp. Not lookng for ezmode, since I have a rage jugg for that.

Then there's this guy who has a couple vids up as full lightning. http://www.bradleey.com/#!sorcerer/c1x2p
Yeah of course you need to be with competent teammates. You could be a lousy player with great teammates and they could make you look better. However if you notice one of the first things he does it dot whoever he is fighting. It may not seem like much but it adds up to a huge amount at the end of a fight.

As I said before it's not all doom and gloom as some would have us think. We can do some good crits and aoe even. You just have to pick your spots more carefully. That just comes with a ranged class. However we still don't have crits like the lolsmash spec and that's kinda silly considering we are supposed to be the aoe and/or glass cannon type class. If anything I would ask that smash got scaled back but I will take my bubble the way it is as well until that happens. However I wish the game wasn't so loaded with stuns to be honest.

psybernetic
02.06.2013 , 09:54 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Scovina View Post
Yeah of course you need to be with competent teammates. You could be a lousy player with great teammates and they could make you look better. However if you notice one of the first things he does it dot whoever he is fighting. It may not seem like much but it adds up to a huge amount at the end of a fight.

As I said before it's not all doom and gloom as some would have us think. We can do some good crits and aoe even. You just have to pick your spots more carefully. That just comes with a ranged class. However we still don't have crits like the lolsmash spec and that's kinda silly considering we are supposed to be the aoe and/or glass cannon type class. If anything I would ask that smash got scaled back but I will take my bubble the way it is as well until that happens. However I wish the game wasn't so loaded with stuns to be honest.
Agreed, smash is ridiculous at the moment, but it's also good, mindless fun. CC is totally absurd in this game, and bubble spec is probably the most infuriating thing to encounter as melee. From my experience as a smash jugg, sorcs/sages can be squishy but any worth their salt know how to escape, get peels or shut down melee trying to be problematic. I guess some people feel that if they can't faceroll to victory then their class is bad, when in reality it's just more challenging but equally capable given proper understanding of mechanics.

Since I play lightning pve on my 50 and had a warlock for years, not dotting a target never even came to mind. Affliction goes on everything, and CD does when it can, too.
Spice must flow.
Nocturnus sum.

ClockworkSoldier
02.06.2013 , 02:02 PM | #48
My sorc Mourn on PoTF does pretty well in normal WZ I've played the class since launch and continue to play it now.
I enjoy the class but find i can only pull the numbers above if I am aloud to free cast for the match. I spec with a corruption madness hybrid as I find the root break on FS far to useful as the game is melee favoured.

We can burst in the full lightning tree but the lack of defence makes it difficult to pull off where other classes have it much easier. It's often makes me chuckle that people keep going on about smash as if it was the main treat to the game and ranked wz's. I'd like to point out that most ranking teams (including my own) have swapped out sorc DPS and even smash jugs for pyro powertechs and mara's in ataru spec's. As a pyro hitting for 3k a second then adding rail shot for 6k does far more damage focus target, plus an aoe stun and a pull. Then you have the mara's that we all know what they can do.

As backlash (which seems to be the only used spec for sorc, in ranked) is about to be nerfed I would expect to see some pretty big changes, if bioware care about their player base.

I could go ahead and suggest changes like lowering the global CD of crushing darkness so it was in line with Raze or making our shield spamable on our self (without backlash) at the expense of our force pool but i doubt the dev's even really care to be honest. Their to busy playing Pyro Powertech and lethality snipers.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/meet-developers-rob-hinkle

I guess only time will tell.

Thurinlore
02.07.2013 , 06:31 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarlaxb View Post
The suriveability utilities are in the other two "dps"
What?
Thurinlore
<Casual>

orenjee
02.08.2013 , 12:24 PM | #50
I think sorcs might be looking at a slight buff when Makeb comes out. I don't think our burst is high enough when compared to other classes. Most of our stuff is cast heals/attacks and other classes have more instant.

But in terms of survivablity, I'm not gonna lie, It's horrible if you are new to kiting but sorcs can be beastmode if you know what you're doing. You have to learn the maps and figure out how to kep yourself out of range of other classes. It's hard to be good at sorc unless you understand how the other classes in the game work. I.E:

PT/VG: don't let them get within range to apply their big dots.
Sent/Mara/Jugg: Slow the **** out of them and figure out if they have the immune to knockback/stun upon their jump so as not to waste ****. Basically to survive them you gotta slow and run off to a LOS location.
Sniper: LOS and slow can annoy the **** out of any sniper making them constantly reposition, attack them when they are moving.
Stealth: Use you knockback(hopefully it has the root) on them instantly and use cc breaker to escape any stun. Also you should ALWAYS keep bubbled in case stealth is coming and if you supect something use an aoe around yourself to prevent surprise attacks.

And most importantly of all... You need teamates to peel for you. So when in doubt pull someone over or kite back to the group. And for healers at 50 that are getting flattened.... You need a *********** tank. At 50 no healer that's decent should q without one. You are basically asking to get your *** beat at 50, people pile on heals that's not a class issue, it's reality. xD
[Infinite Empire]
Main: La'llilon --- Lv 50 Sniper
[Ajunta Pall]
Main: Siccal === Lv 27 Scoundrel