Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Question for Ranked WZ Guilds

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Question for Ranked WZ Guilds

Wookieenator
01.30.2013 , 05:11 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Washingtoon View Post
Iffy, I consider myself to be better than the majority of sages/sorcs in the other guilds on our server but since Kin wouldn't let me try out (it was on a new char so he had no idea how I would perform) I decided to not join a guild, period, instead. I'm not going to join a group that I think have significally worse players than myself. So no, people arent always forming or joining another guild just because the top guilds refuse to form more than one team. I'm not saying that you're not entitled to that choice, just that I don't agree with your conclusion. One of the best assassins and players on the server is to my knowldge still guildless too and there's a handful of players in either inactive or non-rated guilds that could have been soaked up by the top guilds.

For the pub side I have to say that it's a load of bull that the guilds are looking for players. Granted that they might want to see how someone performs in more than one game but I ended up with their premades enough times to realize that it wouldnt matter if you out healed their best healers our out dps'es their best sents, on a sage at that, every time they'd still not send you an invite because they're either not interested in playing rateds or too scared to replace their current player.
it seems we have reached an impass

Jakev-
01.30.2013 , 08:23 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
Why not run with a bad comp and consider it a personal challenge? I suspect the answer is that in preseason, a higher rating is the only thing you can show for your effort so folks with high ratings don't want to see their rating going down as a result of a bad composition. Playing with a bad comp doesn't make you a worse player but it does make you lose more and your rating go down. It also means rival XYZ can claim they beat you 3 times in a row once.

Are there other reasons? The above are all that I can see.

if we had 8v8 challenge matches we could alleviate the obsession with rating as challenge matches would make epeen comparisons easy and folks might be less obsessed with rating and whether or not rival XYZ beats their bad comp 3 times in a row.

Of course a real season one would be nice too.
no reason to gimp ourselves and get rolled when we could just queue for regs
Insomniaq Atense Amersu
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

stringcat
01.30.2013 , 09:52 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
This is why "don't match me against a team that is +/- <x> rating different from our team" would be so valuable. It would allow you to run 2 teams and have them never meet if they are playing at vastly different skill levels. This option would also encourage lots of people who tried RWZ and quit because they were tired of being repeatedly rolled by the top teams..
That would make things very difficult on small servers because there are so few ranked matches, and so few ranked teams. There are just not enough ranked matches for rank stratification. On BC, there's a top team that rarely loses. I don't think it's possible to field a team that could queue against them under your system unless the +/- rating were unreasonably large, which (i) wouldn't be fair to them, and (ii) wouldn't give other teams an opportunity to improve.

I'm on the only other set team that regularly queues (though one or two may be forming; here's hoping!). Most of our matches are against the top team, and we lose the great majority of those games. Nevertheless, as far as I recall, we're otherwise undefeated. Our ratings are nevertheless still hovering around 1250ish. (Some in-guild ranked between teams balanced to be even doesn't help, admittedly). The top team probably has a team rating of 2000ish. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Melyn )
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

funkiestj
01.31.2013 , 01:24 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by stringcat View Post
That would make things very difficult on small servers because there are so few ranked matches, and so few ranked teams.
And why do teams queue for rated then quit? Because they get tired of being crushed every single match. If you give them the option to not have the queue pop if the match is a joke many more would queue.

Quote:
There are just not enough ranked matches for rank stratification. On BC, there's a top team that rarely loses. I don't think it's possible to field a team that could queue against them under your system unless the +/- rating were unreasonably large, which (i) wouldn't be fair to them, and (ii) wouldn't give other teams an opportunity to improve.
The value of +/- <x> should be chosen by the team queuing. If you'd rather get facerolled than not have the queue pop, you could chose <x> = 99999999. If you'd rather continue doing dailies than play a match in which you have 0% chance of winning, you can chose <x> = 500 (or something).

As for "(i) not being fair to them", I think you are objecting to the strawman of "BW, not the team queuing, picks a value for +/- <x>". Clearly weak teams that currently want to avoid being repeatedly crushed by the top team do this by never queuing RWZ.

I know for a fact that some strong teams chose not to queue if the only other teams queuing are "scrubs". I.e. some strong teams would rather do PvE dailies if they can't be paired against a somewhat challenging opponent.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

stringcat
01.31.2013 , 03:26 PM | #25
That would typically amount to a "choose your rated opponent" system, which would lead to easy farming for comms. There are only a few teams in queue at a time even on the largest server; the pug teams would just pick the range that would get them the desired team.

I don't really object to this -- in practice on my server rated queues only happen by arrangement anyway -- but I thought I would point it out.

Quote:
And why do teams queue for rated then quit? Because they get tired of being crushed every single match. If you give them the option to not have the queue pop if the match is a joke many more would queue.
Well, yes, but it's not like people hang out in ranked queue on my server. People only queue when they know others are queueing -- there's a set night for "competitive" ranked. The teams already know who they're going to face. There's just not a lot of alternatives. (And besides, they want to fight the best teams and to become the best team). The other option for a fresh team would be queueing against PUG groups similarly outmatched. Your system wouldn't solve anything.
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion