Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Question for Ranked WZ Guilds

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Question for Ranked WZ Guilds

Fuzztastical
01.29.2013 , 07:47 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Master_Nate View Post
Most definitely and this is what RWZ should be like too.

Just curious about what server you do this on? I saw some streams last night of a particular guild doing something similar. They Q'd up and didn't get any pops. They then opted to work on getting some others involved to get games going and promoting a RWZ scene. I won't say it seemed super competitive from viewing it but it did seem like a good idea to get others more willing to even TRY RWZ out rather than never knowing what it was like. After all, this is still "pre-season".

Again, "A" team vs "A" team will always be the best fight and at the end of pre-season and into Season One, if that happens, this is the ideal way. I, for one, just think there would be more competition out there, even if weak at first but with potential to get better.
We are over on the Harbinger (did I spell that right?). Usually the guilds involved are Full Resolve, Ascendancy, and Cookies (Cookies is the one that's posted a few videos of all sorcs versus warriors, and sorcs versus BH).

What's interesting is the guild most responsible for the kickball style is probably Ascendancy. When ranked first came out they were the top guild on the server by far, but have lost some of their old core group. When we saw that they were still willing to queue up against everyone elses A team (and still be ultra competitive) despite bringing in players from Full Resolve or Cookies it really made an impression on the rest of us.

RyanReagan
01.30.2013 , 01:29 PM | #12
The guild I run with only runs one team.

We messed around with splitting up and pugging and doing two teams, but it was just a pain trying to keep people in the games.

If you have enough to run two teams, you have to ask yourself how many of those would have been in a different guild that you could be playing against....
C.K. <Infinite Darkness> S.N. <Infinite Darkness> K.R. <Infinite Darkness> C.K. <Infinite Darkness>

Monoth
01.30.2013 , 02:02 PM | #13
Only time "" Hardcore PvP Guilds "" make up teams for ranked warzones is when new armor comes out and they want to quickly farm ranked com's, soon as they get all their gear there back to doing normal warzones to roll stomp everyone else.....
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Jakev-
01.30.2013 , 02:34 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
Only time "" Hardcore PvP Guilds "" make up teams for ranked warzones is when new armor comes out and they want to quickly farm ranked com's, soon as they get all their gear there back to doing normal warzones to roll stomp everyone else.....
False...
Rateds don't pop 24/7
and Sometimes you don't have enough people on or not a good comp.
Insomniaq Atense Amersu
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

IAmViiOLENT
01.30.2013 , 03:06 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Fuzztastical View Post
We are over on the Harbinger (did I spell that right?). Usually the guilds involved are Full Resolve, Ascendancy, and Cookies (Cookies is the one that's posted a few videos of all sorcs versus warriors, and sorcs versus BH).

What's interesting is the guild most responsible for the kickball style is probably Ascendancy. When ranked first came out they were the top guild on the server by far, but have lost some of their old core group. When we saw that they were still willing to queue up against everyone elses A team (and still be ultra competitive) despite bringing in players from Full Resolve or Cookies it really made an impression on the rest of us.
OMG is that a fuzzy I see?

nidalad
01.30.2013 , 03:38 PM | #16
Two teams for a guild is a bad idea. They either have to queue at different times/nights which is frustrating or they queue at the same time and face each other for most matches and end up hating each other.
Moonrunner

funkiestj
01.30.2013 , 04:14 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Jakev- View Post
False...
Rateds don't pop 24/7
and Sometimes you don't have enough people on or not a good comp.
Why not run with a bad comp and consider it a personal challenge? I suspect the answer is that in preseason, a higher rating is the only thing you can show for your effort so folks with high ratings don't want to see their rating going down as a result of a bad composition. Playing with a bad comp doesn't make you a worse player but it does make you lose more and your rating go down. It also means rival XYZ can claim they beat you 3 times in a row once.

Are there other reasons? The above are all that I can see.

if we had 8v8 challenge matches we could alleviate the obsession with rating as challenge matches would make epeen comparisons easy and folks might be less obsessed with rating and whether or not rival XYZ beats their bad comp 3 times in a row.

Of course a real season one would be nice too.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Washingtoon
01.30.2013 , 04:32 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by RyanReagan View Post
The guild I run with only runs one team.

We messed around with splitting up and pugging and doing two teams, but it was just a pain trying to keep people in the games.

If you have enough to run two teams, you have to ask yourself how many of those would have been in a different guild that you could be playing against....
Iffy, I consider myself to be better than the majority of sages/sorcs in the other guilds on our server but since Kin wouldn't let me try out (it was on a new char so he had no idea how I would perform) I decided to not join a guild, period, instead. I'm not going to join a group that I think have significally worse players than myself. So no, people arent always forming or joining another guild just because the top guilds refuse to form more than one team. I'm not saying that you're not entitled to that choice, just that I don't agree with your conclusion. One of the best assassins and players on the server is to my knowldge still guildless too and there's a handful of players in either inactive or non-rated guilds that could have been soaked up by the top guilds.

For the pub side I have to say that it's a load of bull that the guilds are looking for players. Granted that they might want to see how someone performs in more than one game but I ended up with their premades enough times to realize that it wouldnt matter if you out healed their best healers our out dps'es their best sents, on a sage at that, every time they'd still not send you an invite because they're either not interested in playing rateds or too scared to replace their current player.

MelliMelon
01.30.2013 , 04:46 PM | #19
ASB on BC only runs one rated team. We have a lot of talented players but

(1) When we queue ranked, we queue with our best, we try to play our best, and we don't give anything back unless people take it from us. If we lose, it is because we were outplayed, not because *Insert X Excuse*.

(2) Given (1), if we had another team queue at the same time, it would be a slaughter. Tiny skill differences can make a huge difference in ranked (as they become magnified) and if our top 1-8 players faced our 9-16 players (and by these 'rankings' I mean our ranked leader's perceptions), it would be bad. Not to mention composition is huge, and I would pay a lot of money to see a SWTOR guild with 16 people on at the same time with enough skill and the right composition to queue competitive ranked.

(3) Although I try to keep good relations with the members of the other ranked teams on the server, queueing against people you know is an easy way to create hard feelings. A lot of people get upset when they lose and they perceive someone else doing *X* and this can put a large strain on intra-guild relations.

Those are just my thoughts from our little RP server

funkiestj
01.30.2013 , 05:08 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by MelliMelon View Post
(2) Given (1), if we had another team queue at the same time, it would be a slaughter. Tiny skill differences can make a huge difference in ranked (as they become magnified) and if our top 1-8 players faced our 9-16 players (and by these 'rankings' I mean our ranked leader's perceptions), it would be bad. Not to mention composition is huge, and I would pay a lot of money to see a SWTOR guild with 16 people on at the same time with enough skill and the right composition to queue competitive ranked.
This is why "don't match me against a team that is +/- <x> rating different from our team" would be so valuable. It would allow you to run 2 teams and have them never meet if they are playing at vastly different skill levels. This option would also encourage lots of people who tried RWZ and quit because they were tired of being repeatedly rolled by the top teams.

Of course with the current preseason system your comment above makes perfect sense.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?