Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

scrapper dps priority

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
scrapper dps priority

adryian
01.29.2013 , 09:18 AM | #1
Hi guys,

What rotation should i use on my scrapper? Can any experienced scrapper give some input here?

DweezillKagemand
01.29.2013 , 09:46 AM | #2
Firstly, don't immediately follow Shoot First with Back Blast, it wastes the extra DoT. Blaster Whip immediately after Shoot First to get Upper Hand.
Dweezill
Top Hatin' Player

adryian
01.29.2013 , 09:53 AM | #3
Thanks for your input.

What i use now is

FR-SF-BW-Sab Charge-SP-(SP if proc)-restealth-FR-SF-BW...

Is this optimal?

RendValor
01.29.2013 , 10:05 AM | #4
It depends.

In many situations, the only window you'll have to use BB is the 1.5 seconds your oponent is face down on the ground (ie before your oponent reacts and faces you), and it really isn't a waste extra DoT since you won't be using FR back to back. Besides, if you want to get free sucker punches, that's what VS is for.
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

LarryRow
01.29.2013 , 10:22 AM | #5
Why no Flechette round back to back? You don't get a separate dot from FR+SF and FR+BB?

Tendon blast for the root, and Sneak for extra speed can help you do a couple of gcd's worth of damage without the enemy being able to respond, due to facing issues.

Should pugnacity be worked in there at any point?
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

adryian
01.29.2013 , 10:26 AM | #6
FR after FR just refreshes it, you loose damage. They don't stack.

Also Pugnacity in this pvp situation I feel it makes you loose burst. I would rather throw an extra SP and use Cool Head instead.

ktkenshinx
01.29.2013 , 12:32 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by adryian View Post
Thanks for your input.

What i use now is

FR-SF-BW-Sab Charge-SP-(SP if proc)-restealth-FR-SF-BW...

Is this optimal?
You almost never want to use Disappearing Act as part of a rotation. For one, it is only up every 1.5 minutes, and you will definitely be fighting more than one opponent in that time frame. More importantly, it just isn't needed unless you are 1v1ing someone to gain control of a side node (Civil War/Novare) or to open up a Voidstar door. You have more than enough damage output without relying on DA.

The most basic "rotation" that I use is below.
FR + SF (1 UH)
Blaster Whip (2 UH)
Pugnacity (1 UH)
Dirty Kick (1 UH)
Sabotage Charge (1 UH)
FR + Backblast (1 UH)
Blaster Whip (2 UH)
Sucker Punch
Sucker Punch

If you are in a melee with multiple enemies (for example, mid at Civil War, a Huttball scramble, south node in the opening 2 minutes of Novare, etc.) then you absolutely need Pugnacity up. If you are just soloing or 1v2ing/2v2ing a side node, then you can skip Pugnacity and use Cool Head when you get low. In those situations with fewer enemies, you need to burst as quickly as possible, and Pugnacity wastes damage in the short term.
Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
It depends.

In many situations, the only window you'll have to use BB is the 1.5 seconds your oponent is face down on the ground (ie before your oponent reacts and faces you), and it really isn't a waste extra DoT since you won't be using FR back to back. Besides, if you want to get free sucker punches, that's what VS is for.
There are basically no situations where you would want to Backblast your opponent immediately after a Shoot First. The only exception I can think of is if you are trying to burst through an Op healer with frequent Emergency Medpac reapplications, but that's really it. In the vast majority of cases you want to save your Backblast to reapply the FR DOT.

If your problem is positioning then you need to get better at combat maneuvering. You should never have a problem with flanking an opponent to fire BB, even if your opponent is good at moving around.

As a final note, "rotation" is sort of meaningless in a PvP situation. You often need to deviate from your rotation when s**** happens. If you get knocked back you might need to cleanse the root and throw a Thermal Grenade as you run back. If you are getting kited, you might need to Tendon Blast. You might get stunned before you can proceed in a rotation, so some new CDs will be up that would not have otherwise been ready. Basically, PvP is a mess and you need to adapt to whatever mess you are facing. Rotations are a great starting point, but not a good way to think about PvP in the long term. You DO want the muscle memory associated with the rotation, but you can't develop that at the expense of adaptability.

For example, against some enemies you will want to throw down a Vital Shot early (Jugs and PTs come to mind). But against other enemies, VS is one of the worst wastes of energy you can use (Sins with Shroud). Similarly, against a healer you probably want to save Sabotage Charge until they are low, especially against Op/Scoundrel healers with Emergency Medpac. That last 30% of HP is the hardest to get through, and saving Sabotage Charge can really help get through that. If against a Shrouded enemy, you need to pour on the Overload Shots and not waste tech CDs. As another example, sometimes you tunnel down a healer and realize you can't kill him. Maybe he has another healer on him, maybe he is guarded and protected by taunts, and maybe you are just taking too much damage. In that case, you need to peel off, fire some combination of Tendon Blast/Flurry of Bolts/Thermal Grenade until you LOS, and then toss down heals.

Basically, PvP gives rise to a lot of situations that don't get covered in a basic rotation, so it is important to also think more broadly about your abilities.
The Outlaw Miyke Fink: Scrapper, Prophecy of the Five
See you, space cowboys!: Formerly of Brown Coats
---THE SCRAPPER'S HANDBOOK: A PvP Guide---

adryian
01.29.2013 , 01:40 PM | #8
That was a very insightful post. Thanks! I think i have my answers.

Kubernetic
01.29.2013 , 04:16 PM | #9
Yeah, some great answers here. The responses are appreciated.
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

RyanReagan
01.31.2013 , 12:18 PM | #10
My opener is pretty similar. I disagree about not using your vanish often. If you have an opportunity for a killing blow, you get the killing blow and speed burst to try and not get pulled into combat. Then just re-stealth. If you get pulled into combat, well whatever go back to doing what you were doing. You just got 2 TA's (one from the SF and the other from a killing blow) so use one of your Sucker Punches before going to Blaster Whip...

Also it is important to time your FR dots so that they don't overlap and you'll be able to use a flashbang on the person and the dot won't break it. This will allow you to heal yourself up or put down your big AoE.
C.K. <Infinite Darkness> S.N. <Infinite Darkness> K.R. <Infinite Darkness> C.K.² <Infinite Darkness>