Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

companion help

geilom
01.29.2013 , 08:18 AM | #1
not sure if this is the right place to post or not for this if its not i apologize

i am having a hard time with understanding how they work i want to be dark side but only through the choices that reflect the toon i am playing so end game i may only be dark 2

some of my choices reflect negativity on the companion i am using and read somewhere the higher the affection the more dps they do the better they craft and successfully missions or some thing like that

if i am dark and vette is light how do i keep a high affection i find that i have lost some dark side points trying to please my companion

any info on how they work would be greatly appreciated

zejaie
01.29.2013 , 08:33 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by geilom View Post
not sure if this is the right place to post or not for this if its not i apologize

i am having a hard time with understanding how they work i want to be dark side but only through the choices that reflect the toon i am playing so end game i may only be dark 2

some of my choices reflect negativity on the companion i am using and read somewhere the higher the affection the more dps they do the better they craft and successfully missions or some thing like that

if i am dark and vette is light how do i keep a high affection i find that i have lost some dark side points trying to please my companion

any info on how they work would be greatly appreciated
It is really hard for SW to be dark and keep Vette happy. Buy a lot of companion gifts and use another companion during conversations.
-What should I mentally prepare for as a new healer?
People thinking that you heal them out in spite of any **** they do!

Ridickilis
01.29.2013 , 08:39 AM | #3
You can increase their affection (or offset losses) through gifts if you find you're losing affection through DS choices in conversations. You can also hit escape before the end of a conversation to see all the options and affection gains/losses.

Meaning, if the first two responses in a conversation could net +15 each and the last choice is a DS choice -30, you got a net of 0 affection. That's better than missing the two +15's and getting hit with a -30. You can also companion swap to one who's more inclined to the dark side at the start of a convo then bring Vette back after the convo ends.

PS, I went full dark V on my Jugg and romanced Vette. So it can be done easily. I'll give you another hint while trying not to give any spoilers; she likes cocky responses or when you talk down to other imperials for being incompetent. So there are some DS choices that will net affection gains with her.

zejaie
01.29.2013 , 08:46 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ridickilis View Post
You can increase their affection (or offset losses) through gifts if you find you're losing affection through DS choices in conversations. You can also hit escape before the end of a conversation to see all the options and affection gains/losses.

Meaning if the first two responses in a conversation could net +15 each and the last choice is a DS choice is -30, you got a net of 0 affection. That's better than missing the two +15's and getting hit with a -30. You can also companion swap to one who's more inclined to the dark side at the start of a convo then bring Vette back after the convo ends.

PS, I went full dark V on my Jugg and romanced Vette. So it can be done easily. I'll give you another hint while trying not to give any spoilers; she likes cocky responses or when you talk down to other imperials for being incompetent. So there are some DS choices that will net affection gains with her.
I do something similar to this when I play. The companion that I want to romance is not always the most effective in combat, so I will use the best companion for combat and then when I do turn ins I will swap them out for the companion I am trying to romance.
-What should I mentally prepare for as a new healer?
People thinking that you heal them out in spite of any **** they do!

old_benn
01.29.2013 , 09:12 AM | #5
OP, your companion's affection doesn't affect how they do in combat. It doesn't increase DPS, or HP, or anything in combat. It only increases skill mission crit % and time to complete a skill mission. It also grants you some bonuses if you get affection to 10,000 and finish all companion conversations, but there's no rush for that (since it won't happen until you near 50 anyway).

As others have said, just use gifts to raise their affection. When you lose affection via conversation, it's usually a very small drop. Don't let companion reaction dictate how your character would act. Just my 2 creds.
Jal-en 55 Guardian Kal-en 55 Gunslinger
Payd'n 55 Operative Boe'ba'fet 55 Powertech
Cr'sh'r 55 Marauder Kym'br'li 55 Sage
Aay'den 55 Commando Dom'n'ninz 55 Sorceror

psandak
01.29.2013 , 11:00 AM | #6
My suggestion is to not farm points - whether alignment (LS/DS) or affection. Just make the conversation choices you think your character would make based on the personality you have created in your mind. To take this one step farther, use number keys to make those choices so you are not influenced by the LS or DS icons when you mouse over the conversation choices.

As others have said, affection can be "fixed" through gifts. Companions will never leave you even if you and he/she/they/it are diametrically opposed in "alignment".

geilom
01.29.2013 , 11:07 AM | #7
ok ill just keep at it thanks for the clarification on affection affect dps dont know where i got that from

Ridickilis
01.29.2013 , 11:14 AM | #8
ok ill just keep at it thanks for the clarification on affection affect dps dont know where i got that from
As a side note, you should know that your presence rating will boost their combat effectiveness. I wouldn't recommend farming gear with presence on it but something to keep in mind. That could have been what you read/thought as well.

Ithilwen
01.29.2013 , 06:55 PM | #9
Buying gifts for your first companion is a waste of money. If you run the Black Talon (for imps, Esseles for pub) you should be able to get about +350 affection for Vette (if you know what to say), and some alignment points.

Of the three choices you get in conversations, one of them will give you affection almost every time with Vette (in the BT ofcourse). Although it would mean stepping out of the Role-Play mentality for a bit...
Valkarah - Valania - Santiel
Dramorion - Onai - Ostana