Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Autism Slur - Derogitory Player Name

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community
Autism Slur - Derogitory Player Name
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CaptRavenous's Avatar


CaptRavenous
02.02.2013 , 04:51 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
Do not conflate my argument by lumping me in with individuals who are ignorant and hateful. I am neither, and I resent you judging me by a few sentences that i am in a race to be the next "funny/witty/clever/better" person by "bringing down others". Thats a shaming tactic meant to end the argument and you represent your ignorance by trying to shame me. The words I speak can be seen in society every single day. The more you are perceived as a "victim" in our society the more benefit you get from that society.

If they are violating the EULA and TOS then bring it to Biowares attention via a ticket. If it does violate then they WILL take care of it. To bring it to the attention of people on the forums they are trying to gain some type of sympathy, or victim status to either themselves, or the group they say they are victimizing.

At the end of the day it is just a word, or words. Nobody can make you feel like a victim with words other than yourself.
There's an arguement going on in this thread? That's news to me.

Sorry, but you decided to play "Devil's Advocate", and infer that the OP was trying to bring more attention to his "victim" status.

He has EVERY right to bring public attention to this matter. Bioware GMs are NOT perfect people who know how to handle all situations. They mess up and make mistakes out of ignorance.

Words are like a double edged sword. They can hurt, or they can heal. Words DO victimize people.

There are people who have been wrongly accused of things, such as teachers who have been wrongly accused by a student of "inappropriate behaviour", only to have it found out later the student was lying just because they were angry at the teacher for some reason. Even though the teacher is found innocent, the damage is done, his/her reputation in his community is shattered, and the rumors of such an incident can follow them around for the rest of their days. Words of other people made that teacher a victim. He/she can't just choose to ignore it.

"At the end of the day it is just a word, or words. Nobody can make you feel like a victim with words other than yourself." This is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
02.02.2013 , 06:31 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
Do not conflate my argument by lumping me in with individuals who are ignorant and hateful. I am neither, and I resent you judging me by a few sentences that i am in a race to be the next "funny/witty/clever/better" person by "bringing down others". Thats a shaming tactic meant to end the argument and you represent your ignorance by trying to shame me. The words I speak can be seen in society every single day. The more you are perceived as a "victim" in our society the more benefit you get from that society.
A couple of things that people always seem to forget.
This is a forum.
When you post something on a forum, people who don't know you will criticize your ideas based on what you just wrote, not what you do in your everyday life. IRL, you might be the exact opposite of an ignorant/bully, but I wouldn't know (nor care). Just like I could be the worst person alive and you wouldn't know.

And that's why I'm baffled as to why you're reacting the way you are. You posted something that I found hateful and I tried to make you see that what you said could be reversed, word for word, to describe the other side of the coin. There was no "tactic" involved nor was I trying to shame you.

After all how could I, since (and I'm quoting you here) "at the end of the day it is just a word, or words"?

Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
If they are violating the EULA and TOS then bring it to Biowares attention via a ticket. If it does violate then they WILL take care of it. To bring it to the attention of people on the forums they are trying to gain some type of sympathy, or victim status to either themselves, or the group they say they are victimizing.

At the end of the day it is just a word, or words. Nobody can make you feel like a victim with words other than yourself.
The first paragraph is indeed true. There was no need for the OP to post this, other than to maybe raise awareness that it's not just names with sexual innuendos that are against the EULA and TOS.

However, I completely disagree with your last sentence. In this particular case, words are only words to you or me that might not be suffering from autism.
Are there people who try to victimize themselves to gain sympathy? Of course.
Should those people be used as an excuse for the rest of us to not stand up for what's right? Absolutely, 100% not.

There will always be people who choose to victimize themselves because they can. Just like there will always be bullies who will genuinely try to hurt people just because they can.
But what's wrong with your country and every other country in the world, is that we have become desensitized to such a degree that we choose to think we're not standing up for other people because they "like to victimize themselves" while at the same time keeping a blind eye to those other people who are actually being hurt.

Midasear's Avatar


Midasear
02.02.2013 , 07:53 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
But what's wrong with your country and every other country in the world, is that we have become desensitized to such a degree that we choose to think we're not standing up for other people because they "like to victimize themselves" while at the same time keeping a blind eye to those other people who are actually being hurt.
We actually have no idea whether the OP had reasonable cause to be insulted, or is just being a self-important attention seeking nitwit. Why?

Becuase he never bothered to tell us the purportedly offensive name. For all we know, the name in question has absolutely nothing to do with autism outside the OP's deranged mind, or the OP is just a successful troll.

Overwrought complaints lacking important details are, in fact, usually posted by trolls. They're not worth getting up on a high horse over. Personally, before I'm willing to sympathize with somebody, I want details, not a vaguely worded whine.

asbalana's Avatar


asbalana
02.03.2013 , 10:50 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Midasear View Post
We actually have no idea whether the OP had reasonable cause to be insulted, or is just being a self-important attention seeking nitwit. Why?

Becuase he never bothered to tell us the purportedly offensive name. For all we know, the name in question has absolutely nothing to do with autism outside the OP's deranged mind, or the OP is just a successful troll.

Overwrought complaints lacking important details are, in fact, usually posted by trolls. They're not worth getting up on a high horse over. Personally, before I'm willing to sympathize with somebody, I want details, not a vaguely worded whine.
Yes this is a tough one without seeing the name or understanding the context of the insult.

One of my characters has a name that starts off (as my name here) with ASB, which is close to the slur but is actually just my initials. My legacy name is a combination of the initals of the first names (five) of my family members. I would be shocked if any one of those names or parts thereof were insulting to someone, but it is possible.

I do not doubt the OP, but more detail is needed before a conclusion can be drawn. We seem to be in an era of oversensitivity and political correctness. Perhaps if a complaint was made and acted upon, there was no need for a less than well defined post in the forum.

Helig's Avatar


Helig
02.03.2013 , 10:54 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyssandra View Post
I don't mean to offend but...

I don't want to sound racist but...

Just don't add the bits after the but ...it's never funny, wise or kind
and you know it's not, otherwise you wouldn't preface it.
"With all due respect, but..." if someone's posting a straightforward viewpoint and wants to soften the potential impact on a potentially sensitive poster, this preface is justified.

On topic, glad you did it, OP. One name might not win the war, but it does create precedent, which is important.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

TheBBP's Avatar


TheBBP
02.03.2013 , 10:58 AM | #26
We SHOULD be able to expect people to act appropriately. Especially in public settings. I think that it is sad that we have come to a point in society where instead of expecting people to act and behave in an appropriate and decent manner, that many times we are instead told to evolve and deal with it. "Don't be the victim" is just another way of saying "Lay there and take it quietly.".

Darka's Avatar


Darka
02.03.2013 , 12:15 PM | #27
We should accept people to act better, but then i remember this is the Internet, and we are on the TOR forums.
One of the most wretched hives of trolls and idiots
THE DEFENDER PROGRAM - Gaming Community Est 2006
Information
Owner of the Hat'o'Awesome

BradTheImpaler's Avatar


BradTheImpaler
02.03.2013 , 05:32 PM | #28
Hey OP. Let me just put it out in the open that I have a dual diagnosis of ASD and OCD, and I've been called names and worse by people I actually knew, never mind people on the internet. So I understand where you're coming from.
I didn't bother to scroll through here to see exactly what derogatory term was used, but I'd like to say:

1. If it violates the terms of service, then report it and let them handle it.
2. Better yet, try and learn to put up with it. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, and you're free to ignore him/her. Sticks and stones...you know the saying, I'm sure.
3. Honestly we should be far more concerned with how players behave than with their names. If this guy/gal is actually harassing other players in general chat, or following them around and bothering them, then that is definitely worth reporting. I've seen/dealt with worse than offensive names.
4. As a community we should promote tolerance, but the way to do that has to go beyond just trying to censor everyone. If you're a solo player this stuff should be easy to ignore. If you're really involved in a guild or just with other players, then don't waste energy worrying about some anonymous troll. Stick with your friends. If we have a decent community overall then that stuff won't fly with them and people will be called out for crap like that.

/end rant.
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

slafko's Avatar


slafko
02.04.2013 , 02:46 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Midasear View Post
We actually have no idea whether the OP had reasonable cause to be insulted, or is just being a self-important attention seeking nitwit. Why?

Becuase he never bothered to tell us the purportedly offensive name. For all we know, the name in question has absolutely nothing to do with autism outside the OP's deranged mind, or the OP is just a successful troll.
This.

I'm very much interested in how exactly does one use autism as a slur. I didn't even know it was possible.

SelinaK's Avatar


SelinaK
02.04.2013 , 03:51 AM | #30
I was about to reply to this, as it sounds horrible, but then I saw that you said they have actually sorted this now, cool. Yay for not just reading the first page. But it does worry me that you say you reported 6 times and that they did not do anything, I've had a similar experience where they seem to largely ignore tickets and just pin automatic responses on them to try make it seem like they are doing something when they are actually not. On the UK&EU RP server, The Progenitor, there is literally someone running around with the name "Dafuuq" for example. The Secret World's customer support is absolutely amazing in comparison, they actually take the time to message you in game and talk to you when they get around to your turn in the queue, and will actually hold a conversation. In SWTOR, even though tickets are only able to be made by subscribers, they STILL take days to reply, and then it's just a pre-written robot response, even if you asked specific questions, they will not answer. Just robot. The difference is certainly a culture shock, and EA should seriously reconsider the very 90s way they seem to handle customer support if they want to remain competitive...

The fact that they did not do anything until you made this thread is especially worrying, because earlier on in the game when the moderators seemed a little less professional than they are now, I remember threads getting memory hole'd that asked about customer support issues, and I believe it might still be technically against the rules even. Yet if their own support is largely incompetent, what are people to do? It's almost like they want to encourage people to unsubscribe, it's completely stupid.

By the way, there's a nice little thread for people with disabilities here if you are interested.
[My posts] SGR factsss
Type /cjoin OOC ingame for organising RP (globalchans between servers plees? )
Official RP forum + Events! IC news/gossip Character listing Fiction Art Story/Universe