Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Autism Slur - Derogitory Player Name

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Autism Slur - Derogitory Player Name
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

WeadonismyMaster
01.30.2013 , 04:33 PM | #11
UPDATE - I am happy to say, after reporting this name 6 times as well as posting here. Customer Service finally stepped up, and took care of the issue.

Well done BW/EA.

Thank you for upholding your side of the agreement.

WeadonismyMaster
01.30.2013 , 04:35 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ziphii View Post
I agree, people should not be able to have names that harass others. Disabilities are just as serious as racial or gender-based differences. For many people with disabilities, an online game like this is their outlet to pretend for a while that everything is different. A place where their character can move freely, participate fully in actions and conversations, and forget about the difficulties for awhile. This derogatory name referring to autism is not acceptable and should be changed.

And for those of you who say to get thicker skin, that's good advice, sure. But why not also ask people not to be jerks? Can't we at least try for both?
This post just made me tear up a bit. I love humans sometimes!!!

Jiminison
01.30.2013 , 05:17 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by WeadonismyMaster View Post
Fair points for certain. The person was using autistic as part of the name in a clearly derogatory way. ASD, is the acronym I used in this post, however, not the player name in question.
Got it ! glad it got fixed.

Jiminison
01.30.2013 , 05:18 PM | #14
I wish I could go cross server and gank that person lol!

Quoll
02.02.2013 , 06:28 AM | #15
I didn't know autism slurs existed. Guess you learn something new everyday.

oblate_medic
02.02.2013 , 08:17 AM | #16
Glad it got handled. I've been a volunteer at my local schools for a while and have helped with the special needs classes. It is inexcusable to make fun of those with disabilities. But some people do not have the empathy to understand what they are doing. Best thing I can recommend is to report them and, failing that, pray for them. Ignorance is usually the reason, but some people just are jerks. Sadly, while we may one day find a cure for ASD and other issues that affect people, I don't think we will be able to cure ignorance. People have to want to learn and to correct their actions, but most prefer to think that they are right and everybody else is wrong.

Happy gaming.
GM: The Lost Soul Searchers (Republic) /GM: Driven to Conquer (Empire)

DAWUSS
02.02.2013 , 02:00 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Quoll View Post
I didn't know autism slurs existed. Guess you learn something new everyday.
I'm not up to speed on most slurs. 90% of them would just fly right by me.

Brittaany_Banks
02.02.2013 , 02:27 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
The difference is, here they signed an agreement to act appropriately. So, yes I do expect them to do so.

OP, report the name. If it passes their investigation, it will stay. If if doesn't, that person will be forced to change.
Appropriate is a state of mind. What is appropriate by one is not appropriate to the next.

people in this world are in an ever lengthening race to prove their victimhood. Victim status has become the preferred status in this country. Stop racing to be the next "victim" of something.
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?

TheNahash
02.02.2013 , 03:02 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
people in this world are in an ever lengthening race to prove their victimhood. Victim status has become the preferred status in this country. Stop racing to be the next "victim" of something.
People in this world are in an ever lengthening race to prove they're funny/witty/clever/better by bringing down others.
Being an ignorant and hateful person who's been lucky enough in his/her life not to have to face something like this, has become the preferred status in every country.
Stop racing to be the next one.

Brittaany_Banks
02.02.2013 , 03:29 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
People in this world are in an ever lengthening race to prove they're funny/witty/clever/better by bringing down others.
Being an ignorant and hateful person who's been lucky enough in his/her life not to have to face something like this, has become the preferred status in every country.
Stop racing to be the next one.
Do not conflate my argument by lumping me in with individuals who are ignorant and hateful. I am neither, and I resent you judging me by a few sentences that i am in a race to be the next "funny/witty/clever/better" person by "bringing down others". Thats a shaming tactic meant to end the argument and you represent your ignorance by trying to shame me. The words I speak can be seen in society every single day. The more you are perceived as a "victim" in our society the more benefit you get from that society.

If they are violating the EULA and TOS then bring it to Biowares attention via a ticket. If it does violate then they WILL take care of it. To bring it to the attention of people on the forums they are trying to gain some type of sympathy, or victim status to either themselves, or the group they say they are victimizing.

At the end of the day it is just a word, or words. Nobody can make you feel like a victim with words other than yourself.
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?