Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Some more info on expertise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Some more info on expertise?

Kegparty
01.29.2013 , 03:08 AM | #11
Edited my first post because the expertise calculations are not linear so an analogy would not work.

Anyways.. Just curious on the damage increase negating if both players have the same expertise

Quote: Originally Posted by jizerai View Post
This has been gone over before. Damage Increase and Damage Reduction cancel each other out with Expertise. If both players have an equal amount of it, there is no increased damage whatsoever, due to Expertise.

So with 1282 expertise one of my characters has:
Damage increase 23.83%
Damage Reduction 19.25
Healing 13.19%

If two people with the same 1282 expertise are fighting each other I can see how the percent will cancel out in the long run if they are doing the same dps... BUT lets say one is just taking damage from the other player.

How can a 23.83% damage increase be negated by a 19.25 damage reduction...

rainbow
01.29.2013 , 03:22 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kegparty View Post
How can a 23.83% damage increase be negated by a 19.25 damage reduction...
Simple...

Real Damage = Base Damage * ( 1 + Increase in Percent) * (1 - Decrease in Percent)
Real Damage = Base Damage * 1.2383 * 0.8075.

If you calculate 1.2383 * 0.8075 you will get roughly 1.0000. (Because of rounding errors...)

This can be explained rather simple if you solve the formula:

Real Damage = Base Damage * (1 + PvPDamBonus) * (1 - (1 - 1/(+PvPDamBonus)))
PvP Damage Bonus
PvP Damage Reduction

Just multiply out...

Real Damage = Base Damage *((1 + PvPDamBonus) - (1 + PvPDamBonus) + PvPDamBonus)/(+PvPDamBonus))

So now you can drag together within the brackets... (1+PvPDamBonus) - (1+PvPDamBonus) = 0.

Real Damage = Base Damage * (0 + (1 + PvPDamBonus)/(1 + PvPDamBonus))

Now (1 + PvPDamBonus)/(1 + PvPDamBonus) for sure equals 1. So...

Real Damage = Base Damage * 1

or in other words:

Real Damage = Base Damage.
Jar'Kai Sword:
Adwaennah - Sith Assassin
Evelynne - Operative
Adwaenyth - Jedi Sentinel

Kegparty
01.29.2013 , 05:36 AM | #13
Makes perfect sense. I did not think about the fact that the reduction percent is taken after the total damage is increased. Thanks for the post.

jizerai
01.29.2013 , 11:25 AM | #14
I see my work here is done! Thank you rainbow.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

islander
01.29.2013 , 11:54 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by jizerai View Post
This has been gone over before. Damage Increase and Damage Reduction cancel each other out with Expertise. If both players have an equal amount of it, there is no increased damage whatsoever, due to Expertise.

The healing bonus is the only thing unaffected by this, making healers always gain an Healing Increase with Expertise. We can argue all day whether or not that increase is sufficient.
This.

The healing bonus directly reduces the 30% trauma that's inflicting by default the moment you enter a warzone or pvp combat.
What you gain in DPS output (by reducing expertise for pve 27 items) is counterbalanced by your own survivability (especially considering incoming heals).
What you are comfortable with is an individual thing, but there's no 'cap' anywhere. it's all about how much you want to take from one pool and give to the other pool.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five