Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DPS Improvement in PVP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
DPS Improvement in PVP

Blockk
01.27.2013 , 06:04 PM | #1

Hi all - as the title suggests Im looking to improve my DPS stats in PVP with both my Sentinel and Commando

Never being a big PVP'r but I would like to change that

I tend to get around 250k DPS so I have plenty of respect for players that can easily obtain 400+

Im always close or on most kills but 1 or 2 others will have more DPS so I just think Im missing something or some information, have tried and tested a few areas and ideas

Commando a bit easier to obtain higher DPS and I guess this is beacuse of the AOE abilities

Some of my thoughts include this >>>

PVP Power stim always used ? or strategically used ?
Pretty much keep away from players that have a shield ability happening, and move on to an unshielded Opponent ?
Should I be putting more time into other DPS and Tanks ? as I have being trying to target healers, not always but for the most part ? which may be helping my Kill rate I guess

In regards to the Sentinel, would other sentinels use their limited AOEs a lot ?

Be interested to know of any others that struggled to get 300k damage and found a strategy or improved their tactics so they were closer to 400K

I would also mention, is it worth finding people to duel ? is 1 on 1 duels worthwhile in this respect ?

Any comments welcome, all the best

The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one, good odds for any Jedi

MidichIorian
01.27.2013 , 06:50 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Blockk View Post

Commando a bit easier to obtain higher DPS and I guess this is beacuse of the AOE abilities
Posted from the asylum?

Pekoo
01.27.2013 , 07:24 PM | #3

I tend to get around 250k DPS
250k DPS
You must be really good not even smashers can get that.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
<Nostrum Dolus>
3500+ RWZ

Phoabe - Scoundrel || Choco'latte - Sage

Yeochins
01.27.2013 , 08:21 PM | #4

Hi all - as the title suggests Im looking to improve my DPS stats in PVP with both my Sentinel and Commando
Ok.

I tend to get around 250k DPS so I have plenty of respect for players that can easily obtain 400+
You really shouldn't. When you see players with 400K+ damage look at their kills. If they solo'ed 20 people and won, they would have dealt 400,000 EFFECTIVE damage. Damage that is healed over is just fluff damage. However, in warzones, unless you're on the off-node you rarely solo people unless you get pushed or pulled away by Powertechs, Assassins and Juggernaughts. Look at the damage of the rest of the team. If they were pushing 200-300K then the player who dealt 400K+ isn't really that special.

They did lots of damage, but not damage that killed anyone (their damage was healed). You are in a respectable zone as long as your damage is not being healed over. If you did 250K damage but only have 10 kills to show for it, then you didn't do a good job.

Don't get stuck in the mindset you need to post good numbers on the scoreboard. Most of the baddies in regular warzones think the scoreboard is the measure of PvP-ability.

Commando should be tougher, depending on your specialization. Arsenal specialization is a joke to everyone in PvP. Its really an annoyance when your tracer missiles/grav rounds hit. Most people who know what their doing will interrupt tracer, and proceed to use their knockback CC's to interrupt more of your channeled skills.

PVP Power stim always used ? or strategically used ?
Use it when you need to survive. When you're solo-defending a node, or the last survivor who has to stall a cap for 4-10 seconds.

Pretty much keep away from players that have a shield ability happening, and move on to an unshielded Opponent ?
If they have to die, they have to die regardless of whether their shielded or not. Don't be like the majority of warzone baddies who will ignore the healer because they suddenly used their shields/evasion skill (operative and mercenary.) Don't be the baddie who ignores the powertech or the assassin who is going to pull YOUR ball-carrier into the fire-pits.

If they have to die they have to die, do not SWITCH targets simply because they popped their cooldown (except Marauders Cloak of Pain, ride that out for 6 seconds otherwise they'll have the equivalent of heavy armor the whole fight).

If something else is close to dying and you're target has 75% health, you can fire off a few to ensure their dead. If you find yourself taunted, hit the tank (who will have their shields/.defensive cooldowns up).

Should I be putting more time into other DPS and Tanks ? as I have being trying to target healers, not always but for the most part ? which may be helping my Kill rate I guess
Healers are important to kill, or at least pressure. If a healer is left to free-cast on everyone else, you will not be able to deal enough damage in time to kill someone. If the healer is under pressure they wont be as effective at healing their own team. If they're dead then no heals go around.

You should be targetting tanks when taunted. It sounds like you're being taunted and see your DPS become zilch.

You should only switch targets if opportunity araises. If you see someone else near death, throw an attack or an execute to finish the job. A dead person means 1 more DPS on your team free to help you with your target.

In regards to the Sentinel, would other sentinels use their limited AOEs a lot ?
If you're Rage-specced the smash AOE is where you deal lots of damage. But the real trick with Sentinel/Marauder is to use Beserk whenever it is up. Properly specced you have 1 free Beserk every 2 minutes. All Marauder specializations get a boost in damage-output through use of Beserk.

Another area of importance is to make sure you apply your slow - Crippling slash. Many marauders forget this and their targets simply walk away hindering their DPS ability.

For Carnage/Annihilation Marauders the Annihilation tree has a passive in the first tier which provides a HUGE handicap in resource management. Use it.

Be interested to know of any others that struggled to get 300k damage and found a strategy or improved their tactics so they were closer to 400K
The issue is not hitting 300K, 400K, 500K, or 600K damage. The issue is bringing that number down. What do I mean by that? Well if you're hitting big numbers, unless you're the only DPS on your team doing ANYTHING, it means that you suck at playing DPS. It means the damage you dealt was healed by a healer. It means you didn't pick the right targets to pressure. It means you don't know how to finish the job when you bring people inches near death.

Anyone who strives to post big numbers has got it wrong. You should be striving to post numbers that are 3/5 to 9/10 of the number of kills you have multiplied by 20,000.

DarkSaberMaster
01.27.2013 , 08:25 PM | #5
Ummmm. Why the hell did you post this in the hard to read, ugly *** blue font?
Referral link to claim your new or returning player rewards.
Ezs'ra: Sith Mara
Harbinger

Blockk
01.27.2013 , 08:59 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Yeochins View Post
Anyone who strives to post big numbers has got it wrong. You should be striving to post numbers that are 3/5 to 9/10 of the number of kills you have multiplied by 20,000.
Yeochins - nice post - Very informative, appreciate you taking the time to detail as much as you did

Blockk
01.27.2013 , 09:06 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkSaberMaster View Post
Ummmm. Why the hell did you post this in the hard to read, ugly *** blue font?
Im guessing your quite anal retentive

Blockk
01.27.2013 , 09:06 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MidichIorian View Post
Posted from the asylum?
Yup, see you tonight

cashogy_reborn
01.28.2013 , 12:21 AM | #9
optimize your gear. DPS classes generally shoot for 30% crit, 75% surge, rest in power. its not a bad idea to have 95% accuracy either.

beyond that, figure out how best to frontload as much DPS as you can.

as far as what damage is fluff damage and what isnt, a simply calculation will figure that out for ya. take all of your damage in the warzone, and divide it by all of the kills you got in that warzone. that will tell you how much damage you averaged for every kill you earned. if you get somewhere between 5-15k, you did good. below or above that range, youre doing fluff damage.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Jherad
01.28.2013 , 01:01 AM | #10
What's your gear like? Anything less than full augmented warhero will put a crimp on your DPS output.

Speaking as a commando the first thing I'd advise, no matter which spec you are, is to make sure you have a good rotation memorised to the point where it is automatic. It probably sounds stupid, but one of the big things separating high and low damage players is simply not pressing enough buttons. By this I mean both hesitating between kills, and not using abilities back to back in an efficient manner.

After this, try to think through all the things which might be limiting your damage output. Are you dying a lot? Are you constantly finding you need to reposition both during and between kills? Are you using AOE efficiently? (Not as big a proportion of our damage as you'd expect for a commando, mind you). Many of these things are problems which can be solved just by analyzing your own playstyle. Recording yourself play with a utility like FRAPS can help a LOT for this.

Finally, find a mentor to shadow through warzones. Which server are you on?
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Zachariah's Merc/Mando PvP Guides
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol