Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Critical Chance for Vigilance

Autad
01.27.2013 , 01:09 PM | #1
Simple question for Vigilance players, how much is too much Crit? Is 30% critical chance (buffed) to low and should I work my way up to 35%? Which will give me less power. Thanks for the answers in advance.

wadecounty
01.27.2013 , 02:56 PM | #2
Crit rating is what is important, not crit chance. Because Vigilance has no surge bonuses in the tree, and it does have a huge crit bonus for Blade Storm and Dispatch, I'd aim for a crit rating between 240 and 280 or so. DR hits crit hard at 350, you never want to go past that in general.

BlueArbiter
01.27.2013 , 08:29 PM | #3
i feel 35% is a bit much, while 30% is a bit low. currently, i'm at 32.22%, and i really haven't noticed a difference in crit occurance when compared to 35%.

i recommend around 33%. with that, you'll be able to invest in more power, make you strong like bull.
"Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age." - Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi

MouldyCrow
01.27.2013 , 10:35 PM | #4
We talking with or without the Agent/Smuggler buff?
Unsubbed! Voting against the APAC server closures - with my wallet.

Autad
01.27.2013 , 11:46 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MouldyCrow View Post
We talking with or without the Agent/Smuggler buff?
Without I guess.

wadecounty
01.28.2013 , 02:15 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by BlueArbiter View Post
i feel 35% is a bit much, while 30% is a bit low. currently, i'm at 32.22%, and i really haven't noticed a difference in crit occurance when compared to 35%.

i recommend around 33%. with that, you'll be able to invest in more power, make you strong like bull.
Again, percent has no relation to diminishing returns, which is what you should be concerned with. Ask what your crit rating should be, not your %.

BlueArbiter
01.28.2013 , 05:14 AM | #7
guess i wasn't specific enough. we're talking crit chance with the smuggler buff. 30% buffed is a bit on the low side while 35% buffed is a bit much. you would get better results with 33%~ buffed and invest in a few more power mods.

if you're built up properly, then your strength should be contributing a fair amount to your crit chance. this results in needing less crit rating to achieve the desired %. also, your crit rating will be quite safe from diminishing returns.
"Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age." - Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi

wadecounty
01.28.2013 , 05:36 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by BlueArbiter View Post
guess i wasn't specific enough. we're talking crit chance with the smuggler buff. 30% buffed is a bit on the low side while 35% buffed is a bit much. you would get better results with 33%~ buffed and invest in a few more power mods.

if you're built up properly, then your strength should be contributing a fair amount to your crit chance. this results in needing less crit rating to achieve the desired %. also, your crit rating will be quite safe from diminishing returns.
Again, crit rating is entirely, completely, 100% independent of crit % when it concerns diminishing returns. That is to say, you have diminishing returns based on what your crit rating is, and based on what your Cunning is, and neither interact with each other.

For example, if you are in Columi, your crit % with 250 crit will be around 32%. If you are in fully optimized dread guard, and have 250 crit, it will be 35%. The extra crit % comes from cunning, which is on its own diminishing return curve. 250 is still a good number to hit at both gear levels, because of the DR's associated with the stat.

Don't go by crit %, go by crit rating. And please stop trying to confuse people. There is no such thing as a desired magic number of crit %, you want as much as you can get without hitting diminishing returns too harshly from the crit stat, and that number is 350. I suggest more around 250 for Vigilance because unlike most other DPS trees there is no surge bonus on any of the skills (making crit less valuable) and you also have a skill that leads to 2 of your moves almost always critting (again, lowering the value of crit).

Siorac
01.28.2013 , 05:57 AM | #9
Also, picking Insight helps a lot in ensuring the DoTs crit often; Master Strike and Overhead Slash are always going to be a matter of RNG.

BlueArbiter
01.28.2013 , 06:07 AM | #10
how am i confusing ppl? the op asked what % he should shoot for as a vigilance guardian. i replied with what i've found to be an acceptable crit chance, that is all.