Carrick Station needs a Cantina !

anonnn

Why in the galaxy would a huge space station like Carrick not have a Cantina?? The cool thing is that the Cantina could be instanced, which means that all the Legacy ship unlocks could show up there. And the Jukebox in this Cantina could be customizable to list the player's 4 or 5 favorite Cantina songs. Also to be added, is the game tables whenever Pazaak, Dejarik, and Sabacc become available.

Here's a clarification of what I'm thinking of for this. There are actually 2 parts needed, a public (social) cantina area, and a private instanced (customizable) cantina side-room.

_

The public cantina area needs to be a social area. If you think about it, very little in the cantinas in-game is actually designed to spur social activity. This area needs to be quite large and needs to have some social elements:

• mail terminal
  • jukebox (maybe up to 4 of them, each with its own zone of effect)
  • ALL chairs are sittable and only allow 1 person at a time to be seated there... I don't pay $15/month to not sit in chairs!!!
  • dance tile areas that when stood on, produce a dance-floor effect such as glitter, disco ball, or color-changing tiles
  • some kind of social emote terminal that allows temporary access to special social emotes (dances and flourishes)
  • social vendor for selling, at the minimum, Jukebox tokens, Jawagrams such as flower delivery, and multiple colors of sparkle powder
  • perhaps NPCs that do interesting things when interacted with
  • game tables for future mini-games
  • a clever kind of drink that's purchased from the bartender, that makes your character to be seen sipping that drink for 2 minutes... particularly when you sit on one of the chairs or sofas
  • an NPC band that plays music that can be heard if the nearest Jukebox hasn't been request to play a song

The idea is to draw crowds with the features in this cantina area, and dance parties would be commonplace. The center of Carrick Station as it is now is pretty much nothing. There's nothing there to interact with, and there's nothing there to make something DO something. It's as boring as possible! I see no reason why the center of Carrick Station can't be the location transformed into this detailed and extensive Cantina area which would become the hang-out place for most people.

_

The cantina should have an instanced side-room that has some personalized features:

• jukebox with a customizable song list
  • sittable chairs and plush lounge sofas
  • a dance tile area
  • any ship unlocks that have been activated (GTN terminal, mail terminal, training dummies, etc) which would be the main element that makes the adjacent main Cantina area to be the most popular hang-out area, with quick access to the unlocked GTN terminal and mail terminal
  • something customizable to make it personalized (such as the color of the wall, chairs, floor etc)
  • Wish List: the ability to drop deco objects in the room, such as paintings, furniture, trophies, terminals

The side room would be an excellent place to bring a small group of friends for a private hang-out session! And if BioWare wanted to try out a new built-in voice chat feature, this would be the place to put it first. The space in the center of Carrick where this could fit is underneath the walkway that encircles that center area of Carrick Station. With the private instanced room right next to the Cantina, both places would be ever more popular as THE hangout location aboard Carrick Station.

Edited by anonnn
revised for completeness

• 9 months later...
Sittable chairs are a requirement for a Cantina !

I'm surprised these are yet to be a thing. At the very least, it would be great if the bar stools in the likes of the Slippery Slopes were something you could interact with and sit on. Speaking as a role-player, I'd make frequent use of the feature. I know of many others who would, too. Chair emotes have their place, and it's not quite the same as what this feature could be.

What in the WORLD good does it do to have Carrick Station decorated with tables and chairs that don't allow sitting? It's like we're being taunted by non-functional furniture everywhere we look ...

Chair emotes don't do any good, the entire point is to affix a seating area where people will congregate because it's funner to sit in a genuine seating area where the locale looks natural and real. Add to that some Chat Bubbles and we're talking about at least a minimally-featured social environment.

What in the WORLD good does it do to have Carrick Station decorated with tables and chairs that don't allow sitting? It's like we're being taunted by non-functional furniture everywhere we look ...

Chair emotes don't do any good, the entire point is to affix a seating area where people will congregate because it's funner to sit in a genuine seating area where the locale looks natural and real. Add to that some Chat Bubbles and we're talking about at least a minimally-featured social environment.

Look.. There are cantinas on the fleet.. There is a 2 story cantina on the main fleet station, and then there is another cantina on the gav..

I can tell you for a fact that people will not use the cantinas and the chairs to sit and talk in.. Do you know why I know that?? I played WOW for almost 6 years.. WOW has both chairs you can sit in and chat bubbles.. The Inns that were scattered all over the place.. Pretty much always empty.. The only time someone went to an Inn was to change their hearth stone.. The people that used chat bubbles and talked, did so pretty much where everyone else was.. By the vendors and the auction house.. Nobody ran off to have these private conversations.. Nobody will in this game either.. The cantinas are just not a place to hang out.. 4 juke boxes?? Are you nuts?? Nobody uses the one that we have now.. On any planet or any cantina.. I think I have used them once to listen to the songs and haven't since.. To my knowledge the songs haven't changed..

I think you are romanticizing about the use of the cantinas and should come back to reality.. The cantinas are really just for decoration and iconic to Star Wars.. This game couldn't NOT have cantinas.. But actually using them is another story.. They are a rest area and they are decoration.. That is pretty much it.. The Juke box is a novelty that also happened to be in the movie..

Seriously.. I think you need stop trying to impose your idea of reality on this game.. Whether or not you can sit in the chair are irrelevant.. Being able to sit in the chairs isn't going to suddenly make people go to the cantinas and sit in them.. There will be no line outside by the bouncer of people waiting to get in to sit in the chairs..

People will chat with chat bubbles where they are.. No running off to some cantina to chat.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

I can tell you for a fact that people will not use the cantinas and the chairs to sit and talk in.. Do you know why I know that?? I played WOW for almost 6 years.. WOW has both chairs you can sit in and chat bubbles..

The cantinas are really just for decoration and iconic to Star Wars.. This game couldn't NOT have cantinas.. But actually using them is another story.. They are a rest area and they are decoration.. That is pretty much it.. The Juke box is a novelty that also happened to be in the movie..

Whether or not you can sit in the chair are irrelevant.. Being able to sit in the chairs isn't going to suddenly make people go to the cantinas and sit in them..

People will chat with chat bubbles where they are.. No running off to some cantina to chat...

You couldn't be more wrong. Clearly you haven't imagined what I described, and you definitely aren't in touch with the role-playing side of the game. The center of Carrick Station is already frequented every time someone has to get to their ship terminal to quick-travel to Makeb or to dailies, and the Emergency Fleet Pass puts you RIGHT THERE next to the center of Carrick Station. If there were a full-featured Cantina there (re-read the top of this thread), with the instanced side-room I described containing all an individual's ship unlocks (GTN, Cargo Hold, mail terminal) then people will stop in there all the time as the preferred way to access the GTN and mail since it'll be co-located in one small room. Now, maybe the public cantina area (rather than the instanced side-room) needs to have a GTN terminal and Cargo Hold and mail terminal so that F2P players and players who don't have ship unlocks will also find the area useful... but the truth is that if people pass through there on the way to their ship, and there's even a small dance party going on in that cantina area, they're going to be compelled to go check it out at some point. And many players would be infatuated with the provision of an instanced side-room that contains all their ship unlocks so they can do their GTN business in peace.

I can confidently suggest that the public GTN terminals should be relocated to the center Cantina area, along with my social cantina & instanced side-room suggestions at the top of this thread. It would be an extremely effective way to take the mob that invariably forms around the GTN terminals, and transform it into a good quality social environment with more dancing, playing, and fun. Also something interesting would happen if the GTN terminals (when relocated to the center of Carrick) were given an expanded clickable zone around them, so that the nearby sittable chairs were within its click range.

It's every day that you see a small dance party erupt near Carrick's GTN terminals. If there were auto-effect dance tiles scattered around that area in the center of Carrick Station, people would be drawn to it for the fun factor. I would predict that given the implementation of my updated suggestions at the top of this thread, that area would be CROWDED all day long, except during low population hours. What could be more dramatic, and more needed for the social environment in SWToR?

I can also say that you must not have played SWG, because sitting in chairs was extremely commonplace in SWG. If you were waiting for group members in the Starport, you sit down to wait, you don't just stand there looking stupid. The context of arriving at the Starport where the rest of the group was waiting for you, and finding them all sitting in chairs in the Starport lobby was... highly natural and it adds a lot more to the game than you might suspect. All the chairs have to be is sittable, and people will invariably go ahead and walk to one and sit down when they're resting or crafting or just going afk. How things were in WoW were obviously different, but I can say that WoW should have had a tavern where you could go to wait for group members while sipping on a mug of ale and sitting at a table listening to a folk band play live music.

Chair emotes don't do any good

Yeah, it's not like you can use them to make your character, you know, sit down or anything.

:rolleyes:

You're one of those so-called "RPers" who really wants to play Second Life in Star Wars, not an actual RPer. RP is in the mind, not in the pixels.

And I see you're also one of those SWG refugees. TOR is not SWG and it never will be. If you want SWG, go play one of the emus.

Edited by branmakmuffin

The only purpose for Cantina for me and I hazard a guess vast majority of players is somewhere you log off to earn rest XP nothing else as that is it's only real purpose. In fact you could argue we dont need general cantina in the fleet since the fleet is an entire rest area anyway and just have the VIP area for those few that have access to that area. ;)

The only purpose for Cantina for me and I hazard a guess vast majority of players is somewhere you log off to earn rest XP nothing else as that is it's only real purpose. In fact you could argue we dont need general cantina in the fleet since the fleet is an entire rest area anyway and just have the VIP area for those few that have access to that area. ;)

The Cartel Bazaar seems to have what the OP is asking for anyway: GTN, mail box, cantina with jukebox and a dance floor. My only suggestion is that the cantna droids sell all food and drink, not just the level 40 ones (well, I don't care about the food, but I do use the Presence-boosting drinks since there is no downside other than the minimal cost).

Just because you don't enjoy social features like I described at the top of this thread, doesn't mean you get to argue that no one else should get enhancements towards that functionality. It's just as certain as dance parties erupting near the current GTN terminals on Carrick Station, that if an actual social-featured cantina area were within immediate walking distance of some GTN terminals, that many people would prefer to hang out there instead of where the GTN terminals are now.

The current cantinas everywhere don't really count as cantinas - a real cantina would have social features and sittable chairs, and fun features like I listed at the top of the thread. Things that make it a genuine social environment... current cantinas are completely featureless.

The biggest feature that I think would draw people to the cantina area is several dance-tile regions on the floor. When you walk onto the dance tiles, some kind of automatic effect erupts, like colored floor tiles that do a color rotation, glitter effects, a disco ball, or anything else similar. I find it difficult to believe you want to pretend that a significant portion of the player base wouldn't actually LOVE that, and just to further your empty argument that's serving no purpose other than to inflate this thread and discourage other people from chiming in with more creative ideas.

What could be cooler than a crowded Cantina area on Carrick that always has dancing and is fun to visit every time you're in-between Ops? Add to that some sittable chairs and a bartender that sells drinks that actually leave your character sipping their drink for a couple minutes as an automatic emote, and it seems like an awful lot of fun to me if you're already going to be waiting for 15 minutes or more for the next Ops to finish forming, or for some crafting to complete. Then someday add to that some Chat Bubbles and I call that completely awesome.

It's mostly about co-locating the most frequented features on Carrick right next to the cantina area (GTN terminals, mail terminals, Cargo Hold, Guild Bank) and relying on that to continue to draw a constant crowd, then relying on the proximity to the dance floor to leave people to find a chance to play a little while on Carrick Station and create some fun.