Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Zabuza's PvP tanking encyclopedia

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Zabuza's PvP tanking encyclopedia

Yodawizard's Avatar


Yodawizard
01.31.2013 , 01:11 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by NamikazeNaruto View Post
Here's the thing though. The damage mitigation is not the only factor that comes into play. By giving yourself less expertise but a higher health pool, you are actually stressing the healers more to keep you alive. You've made your health pool larger, and reduced your damage mitigation. On top of that, the more expertise you have the more your allies heals will hit you for.
Obviously there is a sacrifice but I don't think it is as easy as saying "because its less mitigation, its worse". How much mitigation is lost? 10k over an entire warzone isn't much less. How much less healing are you receiving etc? Math needs to be done to determine, not as easy as you answered the question.

NamikazeNaruto's Avatar


NamikazeNaruto
01.31.2013 , 01:17 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by EatenByDistance View Post
strongly advise running 31/1/9 over 31/0/10 in pretty much every scenario.

I also would run no crit at all in a Kinetic dps build. Just go for pure power/surge. I'd also ditch all accuracy in 31/1/9. Crit chance is inconsequential on the multiple ticks of Force Lightning and Shock is only used on proc in 23/1/17 anyways.
Sure you could do 31/1/9 as well, and 27/1/13 if you were so inclined. However, if you ditch all accuracy in that spec, wouldn't your chance of hitting shadow strikes be pretty low?

Yodawizard's Avatar


Yodawizard
01.31.2013 , 01:57 PM | #23
I don't think I would recommend ditching accuracy in that spec either, still need it for assassinate. Assassinate does great dmg regardless of spec and while lowering your accuracy might increase your dmg overall in warzones it also may result in a healer escaping you due to a missed assassinate and that cannot be quantified.

NamikazeNaruto's Avatar


NamikazeNaruto
01.31.2013 , 02:00 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Yodawizard View Post
I don't think I would recommend ditching accuracy in that spec either, still need it for assassinate. Assassinate does great dmg regardless of spec and while lowering your accuracy might increase your dmg overall in warzones it also may result in a healer escaping you due to a missed assassinate and that cannot be quantified.
I'm not even sure that it would do more overall damage in the warzone. If you have less accuracy, you're more likely to miss white damage attacks. If you miss white damage attacks, that means you're sometimes missing double strike, which is needed to get your particle acceleration/energize proc. It also means you may be missing one or more shadow strikes when the proc for that comes up, and of course, missing some spinning strikes.

EatenByDistance's Avatar


EatenByDistance
01.31.2013 , 02:04 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by NamikazeNaruto View Post
Sure you could do 31/1/9 as well, and 27/1/13 if you were so inclined. However, if you ditch all accuracy in that spec, wouldn't your chance of hitting shadow strikes be pretty low?
27/1/13 shouldn't ever be used in any serious game because it takes too long to get stacks of HS and the loss of insta Lift isn't worth it.

Base 90% accuracy is fine for kinetic based specs. SS more of a supplementary move to give you some much needed pressure and it's cheap on force which is good since tank based specs get force starved quickly. It isn't an essential part of your damage like it is in Infiltration based specs. You might miss a lot against tanks but Kinetic isn't going to do anything to a good tank unless you're casting 3x HS potency Pebble Throw.

Quote: Originally Posted by Yodawizard View Post
I don't think I would recommend ditching accuracy in that spec either, still need it for assassinate. Assassinate does great dmg regardless of spec and while lowering your accuracy might increase your dmg overall in warzones it also may result in a healer escaping you due to a missed assassinate and that cannot be quantified.
Tank-based sins are terrible at pressuring healers nor should that be their niche in a serious game so the point is moot.
Wakalord The Bastion: Hey im mvp
Watch my stream!
Quote: Originally Posted by Celsus
Nobody will get banned. Being a sub is like being white in the 60's, you're untouchable.

Yodawizard's Avatar


Yodawizard
01.31.2013 , 02:24 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by EatenByDistance View Post
Tank-based sins are terrible at pressuring healers nor should that be their niche in a serious game so the point is moot.
Point is not moot because of that fact alone, doing more dmg isn't what wins warzones, killing people at low health regardless if they are a healer or dps being healed etc is very important. A missed assassinate could allow a healer or dps to escape and a node to be delayed etc.

You can't advocate switching to a 31/1/9 to do more dmg with maul and then say you shouldn't be worried about killing people because it isn't your job...

EatenByDistance's Avatar


EatenByDistance
01.31.2013 , 02:44 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Yodawizard View Post
A missed assassinate could allow a healer or dps to escape and a node to be delayed etc.
so niche and you'll probably hit anyways doesn't matter

Quote:
You can't advocate switching to a 31/1/9 to do more dmg with maul and then say you shouldn't be worried about killing people because it isn't your job...
I said you shouldn't worry about accuracy because you'll probably hit nontanks most of the time anyways. I said humping a healers' leg wasn't your job and as a tank based shadow it isn't. I said nothing about doing straight up damage
Wakalord The Bastion: Hey im mvp
Watch my stream!
Quote: Originally Posted by Celsus
Nobody will get banned. Being a sub is like being white in the 60's, you're untouchable.

Yodawizard's Avatar


Yodawizard
01.31.2013 , 02:48 PM | #28
How does that change the point though? Whether it is a healer or a dps or a tank, missing an assassinate can be a huge deal.

By the way, I am only advocating a couple accuracy mods or using the WH striker implants, not saying you should keep all accuracy on all your gear, but I think a good balance is important not just ditching it completely.

EatenByDistance's Avatar


EatenByDistance
01.31.2013 , 02:53 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Yodawizard View Post
How does that change the point though? Whether it is a healer or a dps or a tank, missing an assassinate can be a huge deal.
base 90% accuracy is plenty enough for full tank because you don't use much melee at all and missing an assassinate is rarely a "huge deal" for kinetic specs
Wakalord The Bastion: Hey im mvp
Watch my stream!
Quote: Originally Posted by Celsus
Nobody will get banned. Being a sub is like being white in the 60's, you're untouchable.

Yodawizard's Avatar


Yodawizard
01.31.2013 , 03:00 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by EatenByDistance View Post
base 90% accuracy is plenty enough for full tank because you don't use much melee at all and missing an assassinate is rarely a "huge deal" for kinetic specs
I disagree, missing an assassinate (target below 30%) is almost always a huge deal, if you have a 95% chance to hit while buffed every 1/20 assassinates will be missed. Usually an assassinate will finish a target, you miss and they get a heal off, get a guard put on them etc can be the difference in a game.