Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Force Suffusion for Madness build

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Force Suffusion for Madness build

BoboHut
01.26.2013 , 08:08 PM | #1
I've been playing a madness sorc ever since they made that big nerf to the hybrid build I use to love and I got bored today so I started playing around with a few parsers. Since I had the parsers going, I figured I'd try to get an answer to a question I've had for a long time about force suffusion. I'm sure this has been answered before but I just never happened to find it so I guess better late then never.

Anyways, Force Suffusion says it increases the increases the damage and healing of area effect abilities by 10%. What I always wondered was if I could get an extra 10% from Death Field if I could find a way to reach it and also maintain a decent dps. After reviewing a few parses, I found it does give an increase to Death Field's damage.

After playing around with a few builds, I came up with something that actually appears to give me an increase in dps of about 25 or so.

I went with this build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hMbZdZcMfRsbkrfz.2

My previous build was 3/7/31, where I had 2 points in Exsanguinate and 3 points in Convection. I dropped those because I think that the extra 6 seconds of Affliction can be countered by just casting it more often and I believe based on the parses I was getting that the 10% increase to Death Field is more dps than the 6% from CD. What I also saw from this is I now have more points to help with my force and a 2% increase to all healing done.

As much as I would like this to possibly be a better madness spec for me, I know I am not very experienced with testing this kind of thing. I know there are many areas of this where I could have messes up, which is why I'm bringing this to the forums. If there is info out there that can either show its viable or how messed up I'm am thinking it might work, please share so I can get this behind me. Thanks

Phorenzyk
01.27.2013 , 04:04 AM | #2
Just having a quick look at it - I'd move the Devour points into Sith Defiance. I'm tempted to also say to shift your points from Reserves into Electric Induction, but it's been ages since I did the math on that.

Speaking from my own Madness experience, I've never found the healing to be all that helpful. I'd also consider moving Parasitism's points to Haunted Dreams - Making your mez instant and adding those 2 seconds after is too good to pass up, imo.

Still, I think I'll have to give this build a try.

verfallen
01.27.2013 , 04:37 AM | #3
Move corrupted flesh back to the instant whirlwind for sure.

For the rest, I disagree with previous poster. Keep devour and parasitism.

There is no doubt in my mind your damage spikes higher with that spec.

There is also no doubt in my mind that your force is probably going down the drain in longer fights. You'll need to use consumption at 1 stack, and your self heal will cover that health loss.

Because thats what 31 pts madness go fetch in the lightning tree : force management.

And you have to sacrify either the value of that 1% tick on FL, or the 9% cost reduction on all abilities.

Thats also why I'm wondering if that spec, that takes a GCD more often to be force positive, does it do enough extra damage from DF to compensate?

In 2 boss fight, are you losing more damage by your inability to multi DoT?

How does shielding yourself, something you'll do on raid, affect you, vs how your force pool hold up on dummy parses?

SoonerJBD
01.27.2013 , 11:02 AM | #4
Verfallen addressed some of my concerns, the biggest of which would be force management.

Part of why the extra ticks of Affliction are nice is that you have to re-apply it less often, which means more casting force lighting, which normally regenerates force in a full madness build. One of the biggest ways to start running low on force is to constantly re-apply Affliction before it runs out. Particularly in multi-boss fights (toth & zorn, firebrand & stormcaller, etc.), multi dotting is great both for increasing DPS and ensuring procs. But that is likely to eat your force faster in this build. Also, if I put points in both reserves and electric induction with a 3/7/31 build, I can use shock now and again without running into force issues. This adds some DPS, particularly in heavy movement fights. I can't imagine that would be possible in this build.

The additional healing might be nice, but it really doesn't help you at all in a PvE scenario. The healers' job is to keep you up. Your job is to DPS while avoiding damage spikes from the bosses.

How long was the fight you ran on the dummy with this build, and did you have any force management issues?

I honestly don't know if the increased DPS from Death Field is enough to off-set what you might lose by having to hit consumption.

BoboHut
01.27.2013 , 11:36 AM | #5
I haven't raided with it yet so I'm also wondering how much harder it will be to multi dot and manage force as well. Force management is my biggest concern and so far what I noticed is I end up lasting longer now on the dummy than I did before without using consumption by about 30 secs. I attribute this to having more points total between reserves and electric induction but then again I never tried putting all my points in those 2 and leaving out Convection before. In any case, that is a dummy and like you guys pointed out a heavy movement raid fight may destroy my force.

I also will call myself out here because I swear I never had force management issues before but I must have done something with my rotation lately that is causing me to run out of force or use consumption after about 4 minutes of continuous dps. I'll keep working on that but I point this out because someone much better at force management might be seeing completely different results then me on this whole thing.

I might look into Sith Defiance and instant whirlwind, but for now I'll just say that I use Devour and Parasitism as a personal choice since it doesn't really add to dps. I am also hoping that the points in Haunting presence will now make those self heals even better, so I guess there's that too Maybe I'll swap out corrupted flesh for Sith Defiance or something like that. Either way, I see those as just fillers to get to creeping terror so I'm not too concerned there.

Thanks for all the advice though. I do appreciate it. I'll play around with this a bit more just because I do want to see how force management will be with this but I have a feeling its probably going to go as you guys predicted I'll make sure to share once I find out.

Phorenzyk
01.27.2013 , 07:23 PM | #6
I should note, when I mentioned Sith Defiance and Haunted Dreams, I was solely looking at this as a PVP build because I hadn't slept in far too long and my mind assumes things.

In a PVE setting, I wouldn't botther with either of those, though I still say to do the math on whether Electric Induction might work out better than Reserves.

Sosajoshua
01.31.2013 , 11:11 AM | #7
Just play the usual spec 3/7/31 and all is good. I was hybrid up until the nerf and I seitch to the classic madness and its still great. PvP set bonus is the best for the spec. If you are doing PvE and you are a lucky mofo who still has the BM pvp set use 2 Battlemaster and 2 Rakata (or higher) pieces and those 2 set bonuses make Madness slightly better than the full PvE set bonus. IMO if you are PvE though just use the 2-set bonus as the 4-set is more for Lightning spec
<A Wretched Hive> Jedi Covenant Rhaegis, Madness Sorcerer / Youngdragon, Advanced Proto-tech / Kha'leesi, Engineering Sniper / Dragonbane, Vengence Juggernaut