Gunslinger/Sniper min/maxing

RichardSkywalk

This is going from my memory of various posts, so caveat emptor.

Cunning first, Power afterwards. Augs all Cunning.

If your Crit with your buff is < 40% then add some to crit.

If Crit is 40+% and then choose Accuracy if its <105% for armor reduction.

If Accuracy is 105+% add to Surge.

Its purely whatever you want though. I'm currently stacking Cunning/Power at expense of crit for the heck of it.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/48f07199-a37b-4eec-9ed5-9fa88f6bb537

Imo full optimized WH. Maybe swap an artful mod 26 for keen, but thats it. And yes, the datacrons I checked off are the ones I collected on my actual sniper: all aim, cunning, and end.

The thing to do is to buy your mainhands first, then armor sets, then implants and such. Note that your gear is pretty much built off your implants/earpieces since those don't have mod slots. The idea is to get around 35% crit, 77% surge, a little bit of accuracy is better than alacrity, and dump the rest into power.

Edited by Zunayson

This looks pretty good. I might drop some surge down to 76% and get accuracy instead.

Seeing as my accuracy is 99.34%, its a waste. If you don't have the 1% bonus, one more accuracy enhancement will make your accuracy from 98.34 to 99.90%. It's worth it since it will drop your surge only to 77.67% iirc, and 1% isn't really worth making a big deal over.

Depends on what you thinking about your spec, your goals.

1. Lethality spec

In this spec sniper:

1. Does not have any bonus surge talents.

2. Have significant bonus crit to cull and dots.

3. Featured lethality attacks are tech, exept cull that have 2 parts, while the second tech part of cull uses tech accuracy. So one can dodge 1st part if ranged dodge is high, but could not dodge 2nd part, 2nd part of cull can miss if your accuracy will be reduced below basic 100 you got on special attacks (example: sniper's ability diversion).

What one gonna conclude of this?

You need accuracy rating as badly you wanna hit with series of shots and ambush, so depends on you.

You need crit rating at such level, where you can manage your energy, cause in lethality crit affects only energy regeneration, nothing more (see - no surge bonus from talents).

You need bonus damage (main stat, power, tech power) as much as u can.

2. Engeneering spec.

In this spec sniper:

1. Has bonus surge talent (+ 30 % to AoE attacks).

2. Featured engeneering attacks are tech, but you are forced to combine with white attacks to trigger effects (cluster bombs, series of shots dot).

You need accuracy rating between 5-10% to hit white attacks (10 % reserved to not get deflections on sorcerors/deception assas).

You may target 40 % crit buffed to get most of your bonus surge to AoE skills, but I personally thing it won't help you in single target bursting, only with stats padding on wz. Better have 32-35 % buffed.

You need bonus damage (main stat, power, tech power) as much as u can.

3. Marksman spec.

In this spec sniper:

1. Has bonus surge talent (+ 30 % to followthrough, series of shots and take down).

2. Featured marksman attacks are white.

You strongly need accuracy rating around 6 % (with 3/3 marksmanship talent and companion bonus) or 8 % (with companion bonus and 1/3 marksmanship talent) to hit white attacks on everything non-tankish.

You need either 40 % buffed crit to get most of your bonus surge, or you can target lower values 32-35 % (depends on philosophy, as described below).

You need bonus damage (main stat, power, tech power) after you fullfill your accuracy and crit targets.

My vision on 40 % crit. While I think 40 % crit will net more final damage in scoreboard, the burst capability in case of lucky crit strings will be lower than 32-35 % crit.

Sure if you have 32-35 % crit, you hit in average less, but when lucky chain of crit will happen healers will have much less chances to heal that damage and overall people will have minimun opportunity window to react.

Some words on alacrity.

It is obvious that in specs 1-2 it is useless.

In spec 3 you can choose either to have surge % more than softcap 75 % with severe penalties, or to change some surge in enchantments to alacrity. In theory it should raise your sustained damage, opposite in theory more surge even over soft cap should raise your burst damage.

Edited by BambulaGTS

3. Marksman spec.

In this spec sniper:

1. Has bonus surge talent (+ 30 % to followthrough, series of shots and take down).

2. Featured marksman attacks are white.

You strongly need accuracy rating around 6 % (with 3/3 marksmanship talent and companion bonus) or 8 % (with companion bonus and 1/3 marksmanship talent) to hit white attacks on everything non-tankish.

You need either 40 % buffed crit to get most of your bonus surge, or you can target lower values 32-35 % (depends on philosophy, as described below).

You need bonus damage (main stat, power, tech power) after you fullfill your accuracy and crit targets.

My vision on 40 % crit. While I think 40 % crit will net more final damage in scoreboard, the burst capability in case of lucky crit strings will be lower than 32-35 % crit.

Sure if you have 32-35 % crit, you hit in average less, but when lucky chain of crit will happen healers will have much less chances to heal that damage and overall people will have minimun opportunity window to react.

Some words on alacrity.

It is obvious that in specs 1-2 it is useless.

In spec 3 you can choose either to have surge % more than softcap 75 % with severe penalties, or to change some surge in enchantments to alacrity. In theory it should raise your sustained damage, opposite in theory more surge even over soft cap should raise your burst damage.

As Tibbel said, there is no such thing as soft cap on 75% surge. It is a subjective feeling that many snipers went with.

The alacrity is pointless because your snap shot snipes, FT, Takedowns are all instant. With FT being an ability that should always be used on CD which is 6seconds, being able to save some extra 0,1-0,3s during those 6s intervals will give you nothing because your FT will still be on a 6s CD. If you decide to use a snipe or any other filler, you postpone your FT, if you decide just to wait for FT to come off CD, then you wasted your alacrity advantage.

Before 1.3 you could use Target Acquired, Alacrity Relic on Use, 4% alacrity talent and sniper volley proc which would give you an insane 50% activation time. In conjunction with old rapid fire you could chain 3 Series of Shots in 4,5s. Now the 3rd SoS is gone, the on-use-relics are gone, the 20% alacrity from Target Acquired is gone.

Edited by NoTomorrow