Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

DarthOvertone
01.25.2013 , 04:40 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
I also heard, the new bad guy will be Darth Binks, Jar Jar is pissed and wants revenge.... :-)
Would be awesome if Jar Jar got cut to pieces in the opening scene by whoever is the new antagonist. That alone would catapult Episode VII to the top of the catalog.

Quote: Originally Posted by lobstah_rofls View Post
I know plenty of people who have skipped JJ's Star Trek and everything else he does and so will even skip Star Wars. I'm one of them too.
BS. You will be first in line to see the new Star Wars at a midnight showing, if only just to boo hoo it without looking like a complete ignoramous.

Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
Disney, the company that brought us:

1. The Avengers
2. Pirates of the Carribean
3. National Treasure
4. Prince of Persia
5. Remember the Titans
6. And the upcoming The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp! You know that's gonna rock!
You forgot John Carter...

wait for it...

lol

Disney is no guarantee of quality. Abrams is rock solid though.
War Hero Alphabolt - Garbage S1-Champion Van | The Bastion
Conqueror Alphazen - Shadow | Battlemaster Alphabain - Scoundrel | War Hero Alphanoob - PT
Jung Ma | Conqueror Alphabond - Sniper | Conqueror Alphamaul - Marauder | Champion Alphafett - Mercenary
I See Your Schwartz Is As Big As Mine!

dayhak
01.25.2013 , 04:44 PM | #72
Sorry OP gotta disagree... I was never a big trek fan... Not that I didn't like it at all, but just indifferent to it until the Star trek remake.... I thought it was Epic! I would agree that Abrahms has had some duds in the past but he's had some pretty awesome stuff as well... and as a visual storyteller there is no denying that the man is talented...

Star Wars is pretty hard to screw up though in all honesty; not that it isn't possible, but you'd have to make a real effort... I mean even the prequel trilogy, which was clearly nowhere near as good as the original; weren't terrible... They just didnt mean the standard of what the average Star Wars fan expected (And Hayden was pretty awful... Oops I didn't say that did I? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........)

In any case, I think after what he was able to accomplish, he seems like a good candidate for star wars... I would have loved to see Joss Whedon get it and perhaps we still might for 8 or 9... Or Kevin Smith! Imagine Jay and Silent Bob with lightsabers
The darkness in all of us is patient and generous; sometimes it consumes us. But in its strength lies weakness. One candle is enough to hold off the darkness... Love is more then a candle; love can ignite the stars

Tumedus
01.25.2013 , 04:46 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Leigabar View Post
Last time I've checked Star Trek had:
- action
- funny dialog
- one liners
- quite good plot

I'm looking forward to see how it will be with new episodes.

P.S. - I would like to see Star Wars made by Tarantino thou

B.R.
Leigabar
So, we must have seriously watched different movies. I can't think of a single line from that movie that made it into popular use. I realize its not the 80's anymore and you don't have as many "get to the choppa" types of moments these days, but literally nothing stands out to me about the dialog.

As for the plot, wow I don't know what to say. I like to sum up my opinion of it with the opening of the film:

Kirk daddy needs to use the ship to dsitract Nero from killing all the escape pods, which he so far seems indifferent to, but the auto-pilot is down so he must guide the ship manually. Then, in the midst of this battle that needs his direct control, he has a 5 minute conversation with his wife. After which, he walks over to the piloting station, and inputs coordinates then sits back as the ship 'automatically pilots' itself into Nero's ship. This distracts Nero for approximately a nano second, but thankfully this distraction served to maintain his seeming indifference to the escape pods and he leaves them floating completely vulnerable to execution had he wanted.

And it only gets worse from there. Seriously, if you claim that is a good plot, I shudder to think to think of what it takes to be considered bad.

Edit: as for the action, I have already acknowledged that Abrams has good pacing, but if you watch the movie again, check out what the action consists of. Kirk getting beat up, Kirk running, Kirk having an epiphany, repeat ad nauseum.

Arkerus
01.25.2013 , 11:08 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
J. J. Abrahms. Enough said?

Yeah, he already ruined one sci-fi franchise. Let's give him the other one too.

You're joking right? It's pretty much accepted he took ST and didn't ruin it. He actually made it better. Maybe the ST snobs who wanted to see something in the original universe didn't like it, but they can get lost because the new movie was a very well done MOVIE.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Arkerus
01.25.2013 , 11:12 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Tumedus View Post
So, we must have seriously watched different movies. I can't think of a single line from that movie that made it into popular use. I realize its not the 80's anymore and you don't have as many "get to the choppa" types of moments these days, but literally nothing stands out to me about the dialog.

As for the plot, wow I don't know what to say. I like to sum up my opinion of it with the opening of the film:

Kirk daddy needs to use the ship to dsitract Nero from killing all the escape pods, which he so far seems indifferent to, but the auto-pilot is down so he must guide the ship manually. Then, in the midst of this battle that needs his direct control, he has a 5 minute conversation with his wife. After which, he walks over to the piloting station, and inputs coordinates then sits back as the ship 'automatically pilots' itself into Nero's ship. This distracts Nero for approximately a nano second, but thankfully this distraction served to maintain his seeming indifference to the escape pods and he leaves them floating completely vulnerable to execution had he wanted.

And it only gets worse from there. Seriously, if you claim that is a good plot, I shudder to think to think of what it takes to be considered bad.

Edit: as for the action, I have already acknowledged that Abrams has good pacing, but if you watch the movie again, check out what the action consists of. Kirk getting beat up, Kirk running, Kirk having an epiphany, repeat ad nauseum.
Every single ST movie before the remake has been terrible. Don't even point out problems in the new one without acknowledging how awful some of the older ones are. Generations was so laughably stupid that it doesn't even deserve to be a movie.

JJA did a fine job. There are plot holes but that's par for the Hollywood course. The action, pacing and dialogue are done well no that's what people look for in a movie.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Kaedusz
01.26.2013 , 07:41 AM | #76
Everything that is not /timeline speaking/ from the Rakata Empire to the Second Great Galactic War ,in Star Wars lore sux,so no surprises there.(except Darth Bane's biography)

They should make movies about kotor,swtor,the old sith empire,exar kun,second great schism or something.
Not the retarded Skywalkers and all that.

Zaxem
01.26.2013 , 07:45 AM | #77
I say who cares who is director i wouldn't care if lucas was doing it we are getting another star wars movie that is all i care about
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.-Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken.The Force shall free me 55 Juggernaut55 Assassin 50 Sniper 55 Mercenary50 Guardian55 Marauder

wargonglok
01.26.2013 , 08:02 AM | #78
I think we can trust star wars with Abrahms

what i want is the guy who casted for star trek, he managed to get people that looked like the original cast!

if that guy would cast seven, it would be great

also, the author for toy story 3 is gonna write it fyi, he is pretty good but op, what is your opinion on him?
Sniper, 'nough said

Vlacke
01.26.2013 , 10:23 AM | #79
I agree with the people who are saying that Jar Jar is a good choice, he already made good stuff and his Star Trek movie is better than all the previous crap in that franchise in my opinion.
Telcontar Legacy

kirorx
01.27.2013 , 11:18 AM | #80
With Disney at the helm i have faith.

The bar TBH is quite low after phantom menace. I am pretty sure 90% of the people on this forum could have written a better film and stayed more to the nature to the original trilogy.

Star Trek was a good movie and I dont like Star Trek stuff. So Starwars should be awesome because i love starwars.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU