Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

DevonDs's Avatar


DevonDs
01.25.2013 , 02:38 PM | #51
I disagree. I enjoyed the remake and thought it walked a wonderful line between the old and new. I am thrilled that he is taking over, in part because I know he has the courage to do things his way and respect the past while not being stuck in it.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

WaywardOne's Avatar


WaywardOne
01.25.2013 , 02:39 PM | #52
Abrams isn't perfect but he's almost the biggest/best name in sci-fi right now. Whedon or Cameron are just about the only two others that I would feel better about handling this.

Urael's Avatar


Urael
01.25.2013 , 02:41 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by DevonDs View Post
I disagree. I enjoyed the remake and thought it walked a wonderful line between the old and new. I am thrilled that he is taking over, in part because I know he has the courage to do things his way and respect the past while not being stuck in it.
There will be nothing to be "brave about". The new SW movie will be completely new. New setting. New time line. Nothing to mess up except maybe a retelling of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai (which the movie is supposed to be based on).

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
01.25.2013 , 02:41 PM | #54
It really depend on which era do they pick.

I don't think the big 3's actors are good for reprising their role, nor would new cast work. Either the Great Sith War or KOTOR could be very good to make movies.

Urael's Avatar


Urael
01.25.2013 , 02:42 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by WaywardOne View Post
Abrams isn't perfect but he's almost the biggest/best name in sci-fi right now. Whedon or Cameron are just about the only two others that I would feel better about handling this.
What you don't want Kevin Smith?!?!?!?!?!?

*ducks*

I kid.

Leigabar's Avatar


Leigabar
01.25.2013 , 02:44 PM | #56
Last time I've checked Star Trek had:
- action
- funny dialog
- one liners
- quite good plot

I'm looking forward to see how it will be with new episodes.


P.S. - I would like to see Star Wars made by Tarantino thou

B.R.
Leigabar

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
01.25.2013 , 02:46 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
The next Star Wars movie is in great hands.
It really is.
You'd think Lost alone - a TV show that single-handedly made sci-fi shows cool again and something more than "what nerds watch on SyFy" - would give people hope that the next Star Wars movie will be something fresh and exciting, but it is doomed to fail. Not commercially, but definitely when it comes to people's view of how well JJ Abrams did.

And that's because a pretty vocal part of the fanbase (just like with SWTOR's) doesn't want anything new and exciting - they just want the same 36-year old material in HD, failing to realize that the generation that grew up with the original Star Wars movies is likely in their 50s+ now and this generation needs different things to be appeased.

I wish him the best of luck (he's going to need it...) and I hope he makes a movie that appeals to the more open-minded fans, because it's a waste of time to even try to appeal to those that will hate it no matter what just because Disney is behind it or because Lucas didn't direct it etc.

PS: This time let's try to avoid any kind of actors with the acting talent of a box of rocks. So, please no Haydens in this movie, OK? Kthanx.

Klarick's Avatar


Klarick
01.25.2013 , 02:46 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
J. J. Abrahms. Enough said?

Yeah, he already ruined one sci-fi franchise. Let's give him the other one too.

Are you kidding??? J.J Abrams will finally give us a serious StarWars movie. I couldn't be happier and am actually shocked that they were able to land one of today's best directors!
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

Hyfy's Avatar


Hyfy
01.25.2013 , 02:47 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by HammersteinSW View Post
The real question is if Abrams understands the difference between one SF franchise and another. I liked the Star Trek remake to some extent, but if he uses the same style and pacing (lots of running along corridors and shouting) the SW remake might suck.

Star Wars was always about the pacing - action scenes but also character development and stuff like jedi philosophy. Star Trek had none of that, it was a themepark ride with little depth.
My biggest problem with hid Star Trek remake was the engine room. It looked more like the mech rooms running off steam here at the naval base then an area containing a warp drive and its components.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a body's natural defense against stupid

BobaScott's Avatar


BobaScott
01.25.2013 , 02:56 PM | #60
Star Wars - now with more lens flare!

It will be great, I can't wait to see what he can do with it.