Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

MarkoJinn's Avatar


MarkoJinn
01.25.2013 , 02:15 PM | #41
I agree with the OP post. The fact that the movie made a lot of money is not at all a measurement of its value. For those of us who grew up with Star Trek the new movie, while entertaining, is an insult to what Star Trek is all about.

In short ST was never about mindless, fast paced, action packed madness. It was about who we are as a species and where do we fit into this cosmos. The dream of a better future where all are truly equal and have a chance to contribute. It was about hopes and dreams, it was about going to where no man has gone before.

J.J. Abram's Star Trek 2.0 has more in common with Avengers or Iron Man than it has with any ST movie ever made. I suppose that is appealing to the new kids on the block who can't stay awake if there is a segment of the movie where they talk for more than 5 minutes. They get bored if someone is not shot or chopped to pieces in an amazing special effects sequence. To me that all is worth nothing without a good story and a great message.

Case in point ST IV: Voyage Home has almost no action or very little but raises the important question of how do we treat our planet and other creatures on it and how that all might one day catch up with us. regardless of whether you agree with it or not it's a valid question. The new ST made by JJ Abrams asks no questions. There is absolutely no point to the story other than the old "good guys win eventually" which in actually not even true. It is actually an overly used cliche to give the desperate and the weak some hope and it's getting really boring.

So I expect the same from JJ's Star Wars. Endless action sequences with amazing special effects but in the end, very little substance....
What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me.

HoloTweed's Avatar


HoloTweed
01.25.2013 , 02:21 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by lobstah_rofls View Post
He didn't save squat.

Nemesis was the only movie that didn't do so great and it was also just a pretty bad movie that didn't deserve to succeed. And yet Nemesis did succeed and did make money because Star Trek has an awesome fan base. It just didn't make as much money as they felt entitled to make.

His movie was meaningless garbage that threw a huge amount of extremely valuable back catalog in the trash.

Making a Star Trek movie or series that wasn't bad only required that Braga and Berman be pushed aside in favor of somebody fresh and competent. Instead, they let panicked and let Abrams, the king of durpity durp shlock wreck the franchise with his durpity durp shlock movie.
I love people who speak out of ignorance. He made a great, enjoyable movie that saved the franchise. Look at the box office figures! His Trek made more than the last three COMBINED! There were not going to be more movies, and while people were pitching TV series no one wanted to bite because Star Trek could no longer get ratings to support a show.

You have nothing to back up your haterish claim of "derpity durp shlock" comment - but you CAN find plenty of backup to show that JJ movies are successful and his TV series are some of the best television shows ever produced.

The simple fact is that NONE of the Next Gen movies "did great" and even the majority of original cast movies only did fair at best. JJ's Trek movie made the franchise viable and successful again and no amount of qq'ing about "it wasn't Trek!!" will change that.

The next Star Wars movie is in great hands.

Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
01.25.2013 , 02:23 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
J. J. Abrahms. Enough said?

Yeah, he already ruined one sci-fi franchise. Let's give him the other one too.

Dude, he is AWESOME!

LOST, Fringe, Alcatraz, Person of interest to name some of his fantastic work.

This is a good thing!

lobstah_rofls's Avatar


lobstah_rofls
01.25.2013 , 02:24 PM | #44
^^^ all that stuff sucks.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bethmora View Post
we all know when it comes out you will be in line to see it. 'Nuff said'
People say this, but it's not true. I know plenty of people who have skipped JJ's Star Trek and everything else he does and so will even skip Star Wars. I'm one of them too.

JJ temporarily brought in a lot of durps who never watched Star Trek and won't stick with Star Trek for the long haul, and alienated a lot of core fans who actually cared about it.

They are chasing short term money and hurting the franchise for the long haul.

MiaRB's Avatar


MiaRB
01.25.2013 , 02:24 PM | #45
wow. i really thought disney would at least make it through 1 or 2 new movies before they totally destroyed star wars. cant wait for JJ's horrid white washed out ship interiors. especially cant wait to see what "creative" was he can cheap out on sets. maybe this time he'll use a super market stock room and try to pass it off as a stat destroyer engine room. couldnt be any worse than a beer distilery as the enterpise engine room.

he is a garbage director. he trashed star trek totally with is lazy reboot. only reason people even liked the movie was because past star trek movies were so bad.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Tumedus's Avatar


Tumedus
01.25.2013 , 02:24 PM | #46
I am still dumbfounded by the number of people that like the Star Trek reboot. Apart from pacing, which Abrams knows how to do well, every other element of that movie was really bad. To me, he is basically Michael Bay before Transformers 2 came out.

At least I don't have any reason to anticipate the new Star Wars movie, though.

Themanthatisi's Avatar


Themanthatisi
01.25.2013 , 02:26 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by MarkoJinn View Post
I agree with the OP post. The fact that the movie made a lot of money is not at all a measurement of its value. For those of us who grew up with Star Trek the new movie, while entertaining, is an insult to what Star Trek is all about.

In short ST was never about mindless, fast paced, action packed madness. It was about who we are as a species and where do we fit into this cosmos. The dream of a better future where all are truly equal and have a chance to contribute. It was about hopes and dreams, it was about going to where no man has gone before.

J.J. Abram's Star Trek 2.0 has more in common with Avengers or Iron Man than it has with any ST movie ever made. I suppose that is appealing to the new kids on the block who can't stay awake if there is a segment of the movie where they talk for more than 5 minutes. They get bored if someone is not shot or chopped to pieces in an amazing special effects sequence. To me that all is worth nothing without a good story and a great message.

Case in point ST IV: Voyage Home has almost no action or very little but raises the important question of how do we treat our planet and other creatures on it and how that all might one day catch up with us. regardless of whether you agree with it or not it's a valid question. The new ST made by JJ Abrams asks no questions. There is absolutely no point to the story other than the old "good guys win eventually" which in actually not even true. It is actually an overly used cliche to give the desperate and the weak some hope and it's getting really boring.

So I expect the same from JJ's Star Wars. Endless action sequences with amazing special effects but in the end, very little substance....
Its hard to remember how few movies come out anymore that capture our imagination with great story and depth.... In saying that, Ill give JJ more then a chance to prove us all wrong, I mentioned earlier, Lucas will NOT be directing it, the Acting has no choice but to improve.... even if the depth sucks. We all have nothign to lose giving Disney and JJ a chance to make at least one SW film.

Your point is valid though, the worst movie of the Franchise IMO was Phantom Menace, yet it made more money then any of the other SW movies. Money at the BO does not equal a great movie, but it does help guarantee we will see more of them. Money drives the industry......

lobstah_rofls's Avatar


lobstah_rofls
01.25.2013 , 02:31 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
wow. i really thought disney would at least make it through 1 or 2 new movies before they totally destroyed star wars. cant wait for JJ's horrid white washed out ship interiors. especially cant wait to see what "creative" was he can cheap out on sets. maybe this time he'll use a super market stock room and try to pass it off as a stat destroyer engine room. couldnt be any worse than a beer distilery as the enterpise engine room.

he is a garbage director. he trashed star trek totally with is lazy reboot. only reason people even liked the movie was because past star trek movies were so bad.
What I don't get is how plenty of people don't notice all the super cheap crap he does like the stuff you pointed out.

And I wouldn't have had as much of a problem with a 'reboot' as I did with the 'reset button' that wipes out decades of awesomeness. It's not the same thing as starting from scratch in a 'different universe.' It was all about his giant Hollywood ego and making sure everybody knew that he controlled everything in Star Trek. Even the villain was basically a self-insertion fanfic character for him, it was so obnoxious and stupid.

But yeah I really thought Disney would do right by Star Wars, all the Marvel movies have been great.

bahdasz's Avatar


bahdasz
01.25.2013 , 02:34 PM | #49
I did like Star Trek, but Abrams style is not fitting with Star Wars at all.

In the end it doesn't really matter any way, because it's Disney; it's gonna suck no matter who directs it.

Datku's Avatar


Datku
01.25.2013 , 02:36 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by MarkoJinn View Post
I agree with the OP post. The fact that the movie made a lot of money is not at all a measurement of its value. For those of us who grew up with Star Trek the new movie, while entertaining, is an insult to what Star Trek is all about.

In short ST was never about mindless, fast paced, action packed madness. It was about who we are as a species and where do we fit into this cosmos. The dream of a better future where all are truly equal and have a chance to contribute. It was about hopes and dreams, it was about going to where no man has gone before.

J.J. Abram's Star Trek 2.0 has more in common with Avengers or Iron Man than it has with any ST movie ever made. I suppose that is appealing to the new kids on the block who can't stay awake if there is a segment of the movie where they talk for more than 5 minutes. They get bored if someone is not shot or chopped to pieces in an amazing special effects sequence. To me that all is worth nothing without a good story and a great message.

Case in point ST IV: Voyage Home has almost no action or very little but raises the important question of how do we treat our planet and other creatures on it and how that all might one day catch up with us. regardless of whether you agree with it or not it's a valid question. The new ST made by JJ Abrams asks no questions. There is absolutely no point to the story other than the old "good guys win eventually" which in actually not even true. It is actually an overly used cliche to give the desperate and the weak some hope and it's getting really boring.

So I expect the same from JJ's Star Wars. Endless action sequences with amazing special effects but in the end, very little substance....

Huh? The original ST series was all about fighting aliens and how many different alien women Kirk could bed. You talk about ST having deep meaning well now you are talking about TNG. I actually liked the old school feel to the new ST. Instead of clean prefab lines and futuristic look to the ships he made the ship look like older technology. An engine room that was like a naval warship. Rustic even. And referring to the Voyage home as classic ST? *** are you smoking? That was the time when things started to get very weird and way to politically correct. The first ST movie yea it was like 2001...really out there and odd. Wrath of Khan arguably the best ST feature film even Search for Spock wasn't too bad although was getting more touchy feely even then. After that the ST movies sucked. The ST-TNG movies ALL SUCKED except maybe for Nemesis. Series wise...TNG was politically correct to its fault. Hey I like Picard as a captain but it was a different time and world. DS9 they were trying to figure out where to go with the franchise's. For a good long time Babylon 5 was beating DS9. Wasn't until the dominion war that DS9 finally earned its Star Trek name. Voyager....please that series blew and never did find its identity. Star Trek Enterpise also blew although they did have a decent plot going for a little while but took too many liberties with the ST franchise. Purest will say the original ST was in a class of its own and everything since has been trying to capitalize on its niche success.

As for Star Wars. New Hope started it all. Good movie not the best in the series but a good start. Had New Hope been made today I doubt it would do well at all. Empire Strikes back can be argued as the best SW has ever done movie wise. Return of the Jedi...well ewoks what more needs to be said? Again they tried to get to cutesy and it took away from the story. Episodes 1,2, and 3 filled a niche but in general did not live up to the hype. Touches of brilliance hidden within loads of crap really. Ep 4 was good...Ep 5 was great, Ep 6 they started screwing things up. So really who knows what 7, 8, and 9 will be like. I am worried since Disney wants to bring back Vader or create some new super villain and pretty much have said that the canon all the books have created don't mean anything for the direction Disney wants to go. Who knows it might be Emperor Micky and Darth Donald Duck fighting to wipe out Jedi Master Chip and Jedi Knight Dale...it is Disney after all.
~~~
Krayt Dragon

Lilura 50 Sorc, Kilva 40 Sniper, Datku 40 Power Tech, Ciedoc 50 Marauder