Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

JustTed
01.25.2013 , 02:05 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Ighten View Post
Quite like the star trek remake.. In fact I agree he saved it and made it interesting..
He didn't save Star Trek. He killed it, then reanimated the corpse as action schlock.

Don't get me wrong, that movie was great. It just wasn't Star Trek. The Star Wars universe will suit Abrams much better.

HoloTweed
01.25.2013 , 02:05 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
Fringe is from him, really ? If that's so, I believe I can trust him.
He wrote the brilliant pilot episodes for LOST, ALIAS and Fringe and directed the ones for LOST and ALIAS. Those shows all started out gangbusters and any deviation was due to the actual showrunners, not JJ.

By the same token, he produced Cloverfield, but did not write or direct it. Conceptually it worked great.

While I thought that Super 8 was a bit bleh, it did capture the mood of the Spielbergian 80's and the fact that JJ is a huge SW fan means he has the appropriate reverence. He can direct action, he can direct character scenes and does tension/action thriller like the best of them.

We're in good hands here.

HoloTweed
01.25.2013 , 02:08 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by JustTed View Post
He didn't save Star Trek. He killed it, then reanimated the corpse as action schlock.

Don't get me wrong, that movie was great. It just wasn't Star Trek. The Star Wars universe will suit Abrams much better.
No, he literally SAVED it. That franchise was basically dead in the water, the films were Box Office poison. JJ brought back characters and humor and the flavor that made the Original Series the best of the bunch. None of the Next Gen movies were any good and for all the vaunted "intelligence" that Trek fans keep lamenting was gone, the movies past the original cast were all filled with cliche and cardboard characters running around and bumping into things.

Datku
01.25.2013 , 02:10 PM | #34
Actually JJ Abrams is kind of on the top of things these days. Signing JJ to do the movies is a big plus for many people including myself. But like so many of the nay sayers...you will preach doom and even when the movie comes out will talk about how much it sucked. Today's attitude the original Star Wars would have sucked and not amounted to anything. Its the negitive self important opinions so many people have today that is ruining everything. So much hate and hostility to everything just so people can be negative and feel like they are cool is destroying the human race.
~~~
Krayt Dragon

Lilura 50 Sorc, Kilva 40 Sniper, Datku 40 Power Tech, Ciedoc 50 Marauder

JustTed
01.25.2013 , 02:12 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
No, he literally SAVED it. That franchise was basically dead in the water, the films were Box Office poison.
He saved the franchise. People will now go to the movies to watch films titled "Star Trek," but those movies will be much closer to science fantasy than science fiction, more Star Wars than Star Trek.

Abrams also knew nothing about Trek at the time he got the job, but he's a big Star Wars fan.

I think we're in great hands here, but let's get something straight: Star Trek is dead, no matter how much money it makes.

Arlon_Nabarlly
01.25.2013 , 02:12 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlon_Nabarlly View Post
I did have a scary thought.

Potential Plot: Luke Skywalker (played by Mark Hammil) uses the force to go back in time and change everything. Then they remake all 6 movies with new younger cast and slightly different plots.

Scarier Plot: Luke Skywalker (played by Mark Hammil) uses the force to go back in time and sleeps with Shmi Skywalker and becomes his own grandfather.
Awesome Plot: Luke Skywalker (played by Mark Hammil) uses the force to travel time and space. He stops George Lucas from ever making the prequels and get's someone better to do them.

Themanthatisi
01.25.2013 , 02:13 PM | #37
Directors are mainly responsible for the DIRECTING of ACTORS.... this was the biggest weakness for George Lucas, his directing skill. Empire Strikes Back had the best acting and because of that, many feel it was the best movie too. Lucas did NOT direct that one....

Bethmora
01.25.2013 , 02:14 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
J. J. Abrahms. Enough said?

Yeah, he already ruined one sci-fi franchise. Let's give him the other one too.

WHAT? I dont think you know much about movies my friend, J.J is a great choice.

we all know when it comes out you will be in line to see it. 'Nuff said'

lobstah_rofls
01.25.2013 , 02:14 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
No, he literally SAVED it. That franchise was basically dead in the water, the films were Box Office poison.
He didn't save squat.

Nemesis was the only movie that didn't do so great and it was also just a pretty bad movie that didn't deserve to succeed. And yet Nemesis did succeed and did make money because Star Trek has an awesome fan base. It just didn't make as much money as they felt entitled to make.

His movie was meaningless garbage that threw a huge amount of extremely valuable back catalog in the trash.

Making a Star Trek movie or series that wasn't bad only required that Braga and Berman be pushed aside in favor of somebody fresh and competent. Instead, they let panicked and let Abrams, the king of durpity durp shlock wreck the franchise with his durpity durp shlock movie.

Themanthatisi
01.25.2013 , 02:14 PM | #40
I also heard, the new bad guy will be Darth Binks, Jar Jar is pissed and wants revenge.... :-)