Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Honour in Play

Washingtoon
01.25.2013 , 04:28 PM | #11
I'm trying to avoid such douche moves but I have accidently done it a few times. Had some incident where I thought that another player simply happened to fight some enemies near a mats node, so I grabbed the node. Got a whisper about that afterwards.

I've also managed to grab an objective from someone in one of the daily areas. The thing is that I waited a good 5 seconds (that's pretyt long when you just stand there and the guy had alreayd killed the mob) and when the player didnt grab it I decided to do so. I assuméd that since he didnt grab it he hadnt reached that stage on the mission yet. Got an angry whisper about it afterwards, the guy had apparently been waiting for his friend. What kind of excuse is that? Since when is it ok to call dibs on objectives for friends? Had I known that I wouldnt have waited those 5 secs, I would have instantly grabbed it infront of his eyes.

I'm never grabbing chests if someone els is closer to it. That's the ype of thing that everyone can grab so there's no reason to even considered the possibility that they're not going to get it. That said, it has happened that players havent grabbed them.

Darkness_Squall
01.26.2013 , 11:41 AM | #12
The type of thing described here about chests is a common courtesy thing, it's not required. If someone sees a bag of money on the ground in real life, someone else can easily run up and grab it, not caring that the other guy saw it first. Or, the guy could be nice and congratulate him. It's not actually breaking any of the game rules.

The post above mine is a good example of how people take the concept of good MMO manners and try to twist and manipulate them to their own advantage. His friend wasnt around so everyone is supposed to wait? Ridiculous.

There was something that happened to me when I first started playing. I was trying to do a Heroic 4 on Balmorra; the only objective was to loot a piece of machinery. I advertized for a while in general chat, but no one wanted to help. I tried doing the mission alone, and got pretty far - all the way up to the objective, which was of course guarded by quite a few enemies. Then I saw a group of 3 players in a guild heading my way. I asked if I could join them, and they ignored me. I whispered one of them, and he also ignored me. So, I lurked around until they engaged combat with the enemy group, and then I looted the objective. It respawned after about 20 seconds, but those 20 seconds were apparently enough to propel the guild out of their silence and into a rage.

The group went on the General chat saying that I was a ninja, a coward, and someone with "horrible MMO etiquette". Even after I told my side of the story, everyone seemed to agree that I was the bad guy that should leave the server. I didn't hurt anyone and only cost them 20 seconds of downtime, and they had every opportunity to invite me to their group - they had the room.

So, the point is, don't get overzealous about this sort of thing, and remember that not every case is black and white. Even a loot ninja might have a reason for stealing a chest...or more likely, he just doesn't care, but you never know.

Washingtoon
01.26.2013 , 11:17 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkness_Squall View Post
The group went on the General chat saying that I was a ninja, a coward, and someone with "horrible MMO etiquette". Even after I told my side of the story, everyone seemed to agree that I was the bad guy that should leave the server. I didn't hurt anyone and only cost them 20 seconds of downtime, and they had every opportunity to invite me to their group - they had the room.

So, the point is, don't get overzealous about this sort of thing, and remember that not every case is black and white. Even a loot ninja might have a reason for stealing a chest...or more likely, he just doesn't care, but you never know.
Sucks when people take things to General chat. Shortly after dinging 50 on my first char I decided to join some random guild through an operation. I can't remember what it was at the moment, on behalf of it being almost a year ago, but something wen't wrong, the leader had very little tolerance for wipes and I was blamed. The rest of the guild was as unware as I of what had really caused the wipe so they believed him. I left or got kicked and as they are LFG'ing for a replacement they're adding some crap about how I made them wipe etc.. Not really a label you want when you've just dinged 50 and is looking for people to play end-game with.

Ridickilis
01.28.2013 , 11:04 AM | #14
Washingtoon, I'm with you in that instance, There is no 'dibs on objectives' or saving it for you buddy. I always treat objectives as a line in a store, not as money laying on the street, it's first come first serve. That guy you described was the cell phone d-bag whose turn it was to be waited on but he was going to hold up the line/not ask the clerk what he wanted until his conversation was over. That's a " **** or get off the pot" scenario right there.

As for Darkness_Squall on a Balmoora H4, I can see both sides of that one. Based on what you posted, you did hide in stealth, waited until they engaged and ninja'ed the loot. On the other hand, those guildies must have noticed that someone else opened up a giant path of slain npc's on their trek to that piece of machinery, not to mention your repeated attempts at trying to share the loot/quest. I can understand them being a little pissy but blasting you/calling you out in general chat seems extreme as well.

ChroniKill
01.28.2013 , 12:25 PM | #15
I has an assassin use force speed last night to get to a quest objective before I could finish off the elite guarding it. Just as I finished a second toon came and stood right next to it, clearly intending to take it as soon as it respawned. Thankfully I was quicker to nab it, but that assassin must have used speed to beat both me and the other guy. It was also an annoying objective which had a good 5 minute respawn time.

legolegion
01.28.2013 , 12:38 PM | #16
yep the game is getting meaner

KMagnon
01.28.2013 , 12:41 PM | #17
I can safely speak for the rest of my guild.
If I accidently Ninja someone I will stick around for a respawn.
Help is always within line of site.
Random buffs and heals are kind of fun, and most players will thank you.
One time two players were Ninja'ing me on a daily and then taunting me.
I ended up leaving and ignoring the two children.
The two names were given to all to put on their ignore list.

VigDiath
01.28.2013 , 12:58 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Ridickilis View Post
Yes, this would be my best advise as well. To take it further, manually send your companion in first, to distract the npcs, then you grab the chest. Helps if your companion is a tank, but it pretty much works with any of them. This is also a must for objectives as well. Destroy/slice/interact with X number of "whatevers".

Being new to the mmo scene, I too had to learn this the hard way.

Oh, and if you're ever fighting an elite and have total control of the fight (IE feels like an 'easy' fight) don't ever accept a group invite while you're in the middle of it. 9 times out of 10 they want you to do the heavy lifting and they will just 'need' on the drop then leave the group, and you, high and dry.
This. Why are people so rude and overall douches in this game? Happened to me on Hutta and dude needed on an item I could have used.

Same thing happens when farming mats. If you have a CC...use it.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

VigDiath
01.28.2013 , 12:59 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by KMagnon View Post
I can safely speak for the rest of my guild.
If I accidently Ninja someone I will stick around for a respawn.
Help is always within line of site.
Random buffs and heals are kind of fun, and most players will thank you.
One time two players were Ninja'ing me on a daily and then taunting me.
I ended up leaving and ignoring the two children.
The two names were given to all to put on their ignore list.
I challenge people to duels on a regular basis because of this type of behavior lol.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

guitarwiz
01.29.2013 , 08:39 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagrattlehead View Post
Unfortunately it happens a fair bit. The work around seems to be to hit the chest first, and hope you don't get slaughtered while opening it.
The only problem with that is...sometimes those chests spawn bosses. "Bring an extra med pack."