Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile
04.16.2013 , 01:29 PM | #971
Well, Mr. Freed left in summer last year, didn't he? and Lord Cytharat was written by him, so presumably he had been planned as gay since last year. However, Lord Cytharat (and whats-her-face) are our first SGR content NPCs and, I assume, were written after launch. That implies to me that we still have a long time to wait until we see anymore SGR content, because nothing yet has been written or designed.

How likely is it that the entire idea of having SGR content (as an actuality, rather than an "Ah yes, we're Bioware, aren't we? *confused face*") is post-launch?

DoomBlackDragon
04.16.2013 , 01:41 PM | #972
Can some one tell me where is the new companion is in Rise of the Hutt Cartel? They where supposed to be our same sex romance but I could not find any new companion. Even worse I could not flirt with anyone on the new planet.
Wish I could put on my cool signature my guild master made for me.

Wish Tor forums would work with a Photobucket link

Tatile
04.16.2013 , 01:42 PM | #973
There is no new companion.

Also, the romances are faction based. Which faction are you?

SithKoriandr
04.16.2013 , 04:34 PM | #974
Quote: Originally Posted by DoomBlackDragon View Post
Can some one tell me where is the new companion is in Rise of the Hutt Cartel? They where supposed to be our same sex romance but I could not find any new companion. Even worse I could not flirt with anyone on the new planet.
Start the Makeb PLANET quest story. Female on Republic side, Male on Empire side. Female you meet while you do the storyline. Male, not sure about, as I've been concentrating on lower level alt instead of getting a 2nd one to 55 (dont want to burn out on Makeb), but my guess is it's likely the same.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SithKoriandr
04.16.2013 , 04:42 PM | #975
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Honestly, make a male Smuggler and level him to Nar Shaddaa.

Spoiler

It might be the same way with female Smugglers, I'm not sure. I really need to knuckle down and actually level a Smuggler beyond 30.

Actually now that I think of it I seem to recall someone suggesting we start a database of some kind on Google Docs of existing OGR flirts. Might have been Uluain.
Spoiler

...so female smuggler does get more flirt options than my BH, SI, or SW. I'm not saying don't add more flirts for SGR (or OGR for that matter), but so far outside of my smuggler, it's felt like 1 flirt and then companion flirts. Planetary flirts haven't felt that common, but I also don't know if certain classes can flirt with random NPC or if it's a "everyone can do this flirt" (ogr of course).
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

chuixupu
04.16.2013 , 04:49 PM | #976
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Well, Mr. Freed left in summer last year, didn't he? and Lord Cytharat was written by him, so presumably he had been planned as gay since last year.
He left in October. They started writing for Makeb shortly after launch, so who knows, really. They may have had to wait for an "ok" based on time/budget.

Quote:
However, Lord Cytharat (and whats-her-face) are our first SGR content NPCs and, I assume, were written after launch. That implies to me that we still have a long time to wait until we see anymore SGR content, because nothing yet has been written or designed.
Different writers have indicated in interviews and various statements that they have in fact written more beyond Makeb already, at least mapped out.

Quote:
How likely is it that the entire idea of having SGR content (as an actuality, rather than an "Ah yes, we're Bioware, aren't we? *confused face*") is post-launch?
We know the *idea* was pre-launch, since they talked about it pre-launch, and I seem to recall comments from the devs early on about how some of the current companions were originally planned on being SGR. But whether anything was actually taken beyond some rough ideas, we don't know.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Tatile
04.16.2013 , 05:10 PM | #977
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
He left in October. They started writing for Makeb shortly after launch, so who knows, really. They may have had to wait for an "ok" based on time/budget.

Different writers have indicated in interviews and various statements that they have in fact written more beyond Makeb already, at least mapped out.

We know the *idea* was pre-launch, since they talked about it pre-launch, and I seem to recall comments from the devs early on about how some of the current companions were originally planned on being SGR. But whether anything was actually taken beyond some rough ideas, we don't know.
The Guild Summit mentioned something to that effect, yes, but as far as I'm aware that was also under duress.

I should imagine that whatever they have written and planned would still be subject to change right up until recording for whatever magical reasons are relevant at the time and whether it applies to romances and key stories points or not isn't something we'll ever know. The application of Makeb's romances in the Makeb might have been designed in a scenario where we already had SGRA's and world-NPC [Flirt]s, but the actuality of them is that they are our first SGR content and the limitations (sexuality by faction) and length (not very), makes them feel like an afterthought, even if the characters themselves are compelling, and this then makes me question what future SGR/A's will be like (Will the characters be equally compelling but the story itself by ultimately unfulfilling and feel unfinished?) and subsequently also the continuation of the current romances.

Makeb was apparently un-touched by the F2P change over, but its launch was definitely pushed back by SWTOR going F2P. You're right, though, writing does have a long lead-time, especially so when they then need to do the animation and recording.

I guess I'm being unduly pessimistic again.

Kioma
04.17.2013 , 01:24 AM | #978
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
...so female smuggler does get more flirt options than my BH, SI, or SW. I'm not saying don't add more flirts for SGR (or OGR for that matter), but so far outside of my smuggler, it's felt like 1 flirt and then companion flirts. Planetary flirts haven't felt that common, but I also don't know if certain classes can flirt with random NPC or if it's a "everyone can do this flirt" (ogr of course).
Yeah, I guess they're not as common as all that (except for Smugglers, male in particular). I'd actually like to see a bunch more, both OGR and SGR. And like I said I'm sure I recall a couple that didn't get past Beta stage, so maybe they consciously toned back the number of flirts available.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

ReiKai
04.17.2013 , 03:29 PM | #979
So yes, there is definitely some SGRA flirt scenes with the new RotHC expansion. So it's slow but steady going. If we're lucky we'll have new companions to play with by the end of the year.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Tatile
04.17.2013 , 03:30 PM | #980
Quote: Originally Posted by ReiKai View Post
So yes, there is definitely some SGRA flirt scenes with the new RotHC expansion. So it's slow but steady going. If we're lucky we'll have new companions to play with by the end of the year.
But I want this one, and I want him like this...