Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
04.14.2013 , 07:11 AM | #931
Quote: Originally Posted by TarotMage View Post
...and this is the biggest issue I have with the whole SGRA/Makeb thing. I don't want to think this but I still can't get past the "This will shut them up" vibe I'm getting from the same-gender content. While I've yet to try out Makeb because I do not have a level 50 yet, what I've been reading on here has tempered my enthusiasm to level up my male Smuggler since it appears there's no SGRA-based content for him.
If your only reason to level up to cap is for a couple of minutes of flirt scenes...

Quote:
The fact that I've tried time and time again to start an Imperial character but couldn't get into it (thereby scuttling the opportunity to try the M/M content), and that it's never interested me to play an OG character to go through the F/F story is guilting me to feel it's entirely my fault that I'm finding the same-gender content lacking.
...then yes, it is entirely your fault.

Quote:
Yes, I am a gaymer and yes, I wish BioWare would have been more forthcoming about same-gender content prior to launch. However, sometimes I think I would have been happier if BioWare would have just said, "We have no intention of including same-gender romance content in Star Wars The Old Republic" and be done with it.
All you had to do was log onto PTS. As to the bolded part, you may have just went on and on about it being unfair if BW did make such a comment.

Quote:
I don't mean to sound crochety here. I want to like this game. I really do. And I do have the desire to play it because I'm certain there is a good game in there somewhere. Hell, I totally bought into the hype and pre-ordered the collector's edition. But I keep feeling disappointed. Maybe I'm to blame but it just seems that to be a SWTOR player is to have my heart broken at regular intervals. Perhaps one of you might be able to tell me what I'm missing. I got nothing.
What you're missing is, if all the game has for you is a couple flirt scenes to make it worth playing, then this game is likely not for you. If you've pre-ordered the CE and are still saying "I want to like this game..." and havent found yourself liking it yet, it's likely time to move on.

That all said, I do recall them saying there are M/M flirts Republic side (like a couple) and I believe one isn't even on Makeb and it's a one off flirt like all the other flirts in the game...

"Oh hey you're cute."

"Oh you too. Now onto business!"
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

TarotMage's Avatar


TarotMage
04.14.2013 , 11:33 AM | #932
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
A lot of stuff that I won't repost for space reasons.
Thanks for your input.

By any chance do you post on GayGamer.net as "The Joker"? Just curious.
"That's gonna leave a mark."

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
04.14.2013 , 04:44 PM | #933
Quote: Originally Posted by TarotMage View Post
Thanks for your input.

By any chance do you post on GayGamer.net as "The Joker"? Just curious.
No I do not. Though, asking that, I can't help but sense a bit of animosity for a simple reply to your post.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

TarotMage's Avatar


TarotMage
04.14.2013 , 05:13 PM | #934
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
No I do not. Though, asking that, I can't help but sense a bit of animosity for a simple reply to your post.
No animosity at all. You just share the same writing style.
"That's gonna leave a mark."

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
04.14.2013 , 06:42 PM | #935
Quote: Originally Posted by TarotMage View Post
No animosity at all. You just share the same writing style.
Is it the elipses? >_> I know I overuse them, but I love them sooo much!
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

MoobooMagoo's Avatar


MoobooMagoo
04.14.2013 , 10:38 PM | #936
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I haven't encountered any female on male flirts on the Republic side.
I know there is at least a couple of female on male flirts for a smuggler, but I'm still on Coruscant so I don't know if there are any more.
Explorer: 80% Achiever: 60% Killer: 47% Socializer: 13%

Daniel Erickson and the Amazing Technicolor Dream-Abs

Ramellan's Avatar


Ramellan
04.14.2013 , 10:56 PM | #937
Hello. First time poster on this thread. I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm reading 95 pages worth of comments, so here's hoping I'm not copying too many people about this. I'll admit I was a little disappointed in this one aspect of the game. (I love everything else about it so far, especially the planet storyline. Want more, want more now!) Asking them to add a lot more options seems like too much to ask for, especially considering everything else they could work on (new flashpoints, or warzones, or whatever floats your boat) but I feel okay asking for this much: if we could just get one F/F option Imp side, and one M/M option Pub side, I'd definitely feel better.

Hmm, then again, Makeb was a little sparse in that respect. I played a female Inquisitor through the whole Imp side, and all I ever found was one flirt option (with someone I didn't feel inclined to flirt with at all.) 70% of my brain knows that a game shouldn't ever focus on romance before story or gameplay, but the other 30% (which I call the shameless part) wants to see that connection. I loved romancing Vette, Mako, Vector, and Balkar so much, they were some of my fondest memories in this game. And truthfully I only intend tp play one of my 8 characters as gay in game (yep, my inquisitor. The rest are either straight and married, straight and single, and one undecided)

I know lots of people ask for this: companion options with SGR. I was so surprised to hear all the new lines Ashara and HK and Andronikos would say as I traveled across Makeb. Surprised and happy. In the months leading up to RotHC, I was terrified that Bio/EA wouldn't do anything with them in the nex xpac. A few lines may not be much, but at least there's always hope now. Right? Anyone? I don't know what the developers are saying on this so any help would be nice.

That's about all I have to say. So, what do you guys think? Spot any holes in my request/arguments?

stormdrakelord's Avatar


stormdrakelord
04.15.2013 , 12:19 AM | #938
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramellan View Post
Hello. First time poster on this thread. I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm reading 95 pages worth of comments, so here's hoping I'm not copying too many people about this. I'll admit I was a little disappointed in this one aspect of the game. (I love everything else about it so far, especially the planet storyline. Want more, want more now!) Asking them to add a lot more options seems like too much to ask for, especially considering everything else they could work on (new flashpoints, or warzones, or whatever floats your boat) but I feel okay asking for this much: if we could just get one F/F option Imp side, and one M/M option Pub side, I'd definitely feel better.

Hmm, then again, Makeb was a little sparse in that respect. I played a female Inquisitor through the whole Imp side, and all I ever found was one flirt option (with someone I didn't feel inclined to flirt with at all.) 70% of my brain knows that a game shouldn't ever focus on romance before story or gameplay, but the other 30% (which I call the shameless part) wants to see that connection. I loved romancing Vette, Mako, Vector, and Balkar so much, they were some of my fondest memories in this game. And truthfully I only intend tp play one of my 8 characters as gay in game (yep, my inquisitor. The rest are either straight and married, straight and single, and one undecided)

I know lots of people ask for this: companion options with SGR. I was so surprised to hear all the new lines Ashara and HK and Andronikos would say as I traveled across Makeb. Surprised and happy. In the months leading up to RotHC, I was terrified that Bio/EA wouldn't do anything with them in the nex xpac. A few lines may not be much, but at least there's always hope now. Right? Anyone? I don't know what the developers are saying on this so any help would be nice.

That's about all I have to say. So, what do you guys think? Spot any holes in my request/arguments?
This has been asked for since launch, but I would like more options with SGR, and full SGR, not [Flirt]s only, maybe add a past NPC with it so players can have a "real" LI for their characters, while still being able to work on SGR companions.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

ReiKai's Avatar


ReiKai
04.15.2013 , 03:32 AM | #939
Once you Romance one of your Companions, you can't romance another. So if you're a Male Sith Warrior, and you want to have a "guy friend", then you have to turn down every advance with Vette and Jaesa, and wait for SGRA's to be admitted into the game with a new companion. Vice versa for females wanting some girl time. As it stands right now there is no date set for when they will be added.

BioWare has stated they Will be added as a Post-Launch feature. And we know it's already been more than a year. But, it's not so huge a thing that we need to get upset about not having it yet. We got Makeb now and plenty more things coming our way. They've had their cutbacks thanks to decisions out of their control and are doing their best to give us what we ask for. We ca only hope it'll be sometime this year.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Binidj's Avatar


Binidj
04.15.2013 , 03:52 AM | #940
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
What you're missing is, if all the game has for you is a couple flirt scenes to make it worth playing, then this game is likely not for you. If you've pre-ordered the CE and are still saying "I want to like this game..." and havent found yourself liking it yet, it's likely time to move on.
Let me try to explain why SGR is important, and I think it's something you might not have noticed because, well, why would you? Every time there is an OGR [flirt] option (and there are quite a few ... by which I mean a whole bucketload) it creates a sense of "normality" in the game world, "this is the way things are and the way the world works" which really doesn't do much to draw me into the game ... quite the reverse. Every time I see a [flirt] option I am reminded that the game considers that I am "odd" at best, it excludes me from the game world. The reason it excludes me is that there are no options while levelling for me to flirt with anyone of my own gender (I know the romance codes are in the game because female characters can flirt with male NPCs ... that's "normal") regardless of my feelings on the matter. It's not just about a couple of lines of dialogue and a fade to black, it's about feeling that I have a place in the social structure of the game ... at the moment, I don't.

SWTOR is the only MMO (that I've played) where this is an issue because it's the only MMO (that I've played) where a character's sexuality is ever actually addressed.

Only straight folks get to ride on this bus, the rest of us get to walk.