Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile
04.10.2013 , 02:06 PM | #841
Quote: Originally Posted by stormdrakelord View Post
I know, I just thought the idea would be cool, and it was involving SGRs, so I thought it would fit here.
Since they've added the [Flirt] options now, they can at least support it further by having it out in NPC-verse as well. Another reason why this game was so heterocentric up until now - literally no representation of any romantic relationship that wasn't male+female.

It would certainly make same-gender relationships no longer seem like something reserved for the PC.

Sorei
04.10.2013 , 03:35 PM | #842
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
When I finish Makeb, I have every intention of making a thread in the Suggestion Box that he be a companion, regardless of where he actually turns up (mostly).
I want him too as a companion for my Sith Warrior. Finally he got to flirt with someone. He is already missing him!

Tatile
04.10.2013 , 03:39 PM | #843
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorei View Post
I want him too as a companion for my Sith Warrior. Finally he got to flirt with someone. He is already missing him!
Lord Cytharat's personality - regardless of the romance - would make him a good asset to my Agent's team. They both want to get the job done, but believe that sparing civilians in a noble goal, to a degree. I'd happily get rid of Kaliyo for Lord Cytharat.

But yes, I'd have in my Agent's quarters and there would be turn-down service and a chocolate on the pillow every night, if that's what he wants. Ciphers don't need that much sleep, so he wouldn't be disturbed much.

...unless that's what he's into.

Sorei
04.10.2013 , 03:45 PM | #844
Lord Cytharat's personality - regardless of the romance - would make him a good asset to my Agent's team. They both want to get the job done, but believe that sparing civilians in a noble goal, to a degree. I'd happily get rid of Kaliyo for Lord Cytharat.
My Sith Warrior isn't really a nice guy, but focused on the needs of the Empire. I think, with Cytharat as a companion he'd become a little nicer, at least to those working with him. I'd choose him over Broonmark at any time.
I hope, they'll let us get him as a companion for all Empire classes. Would be so awesome (since my Agent already has to put up with Temple when he'd rather have gotten Saganu on Hoth).

Tatile
04.10.2013 , 03:50 PM | #845
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorei View Post
My Sith Warrior isn't really a nice guy, but focused on the needs of the Empire. I think, with Cytharat as a companion he'd become a little nicer, at least to those working with him. I'd choose him over Broonmark at any time.
I hope, they'll let us get him as a companion for all Empire classes. Would be so awesome (since my Agent already has to put up with Temple when he'd rather have gotten Saganu on Hoth).
His tactical assessments would be useful and his penchant for honour would be most useful for the no-doubt dark moments ahead for Cipher Nine. Agent spoilers ahead
Spoiler

SithKoriandr
04.10.2013 , 05:25 PM | #846
Since they've added the [Flirt] options now, they can at least support it further by having it out in NPC-verse as well. Another reason why this game was so heterocentric up until now - literally no representation of any romantic relationship that wasn't male+female.

It would certainly make same-gender relationships no longer seem like something reserved for the PC.
Support what exactly? What exactly needs supported? While I'm sure they'll like add in something akin to what you suggested in another post, how exactly does that support SGR with our characters?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Tatile
04.10.2013 , 05:41 PM | #847
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Support what exactly? What exactly needs supported? While I'm sure they'll like add in something akin to what you suggested in another post, how exactly does that support SGR with our characters?
I know you're only doing so that you can get a rise out of me and then twist my words to make it seem like I'm espousing some unsavoury views, but I'll explain so that we can put a stop to that line of conversation and continue on something more positive:

If Bioware implements same-gendered relationships in the SWTOR world at large, it will seem less like something they were pressured into doing (as many of the detractors think) and more like something they want to do. It will be representative of a galaxy more progressive than our current society - that you do not need to a hero or a despot to have relations and be open about who you love and who you live with. By limiting such demonstrations and interactions to PCs only, Bioware would be sending the message that PC interactions pertaining to same-gender relationships are an exception to a perceived rule. One could equate it to nuns - in some societies women are expected to get married and have children, any woman not doing so is an object of pity or derision; nuns are considered exceptions to that social rule because of their dedication to religion.

It's not simply saying "we allow same-gender relationships in our game" but more saying "we support consensual relationships, regardless of the participant's sexes or genders."

Now, I'm sure you're going to use part of that post to attack me, so I'm going to say this: I will not reply to you again, SithKoriandr.

SithKoriandr
04.10.2013 , 05:57 PM | #848
I know you're only doing so that you can get a rise out of me and then twist my words to make it seem like I'm espousing some unsavoury views, but I'll explain so that we can put a stop to that line of conversation and continue on something more positive:

If Bioware implements same-gendered relationships in the SWTOR world at large, it will seem less like something they were pressured into doing (as many of the detractors think) and more like something they want to do. It will be representative of a galaxy more progressive than our current society - that you do not need to a hero or a despot to have relations and be open about who you love and who you live with. By limiting such demonstrations and interactions to PCs only, Bioware would be sending the message that PC interactions pertaining to same-gender relationships are an exception to a perceived rule. One could equate it to nuns - in some societies women are expected to get married and have children, any woman not doing so is an object of pity or derision; nuns are considered exceptions to that social rule because of their dedication to religion.

It's not simply saying "we allow same-gender relationships in our game" but more saying "we support consensual relationships, regardless of the participant's sexes or genders."

Now, I'm sure you're going to use part of that post to attack me, so I'm going to say this: I will not reply to you again, SithKoriandr.
Interresting you think my question was some sort of an attack. o.O You said it would support. I fail to see what it supports to us in game and to our characters.

But nothing you just said really supports our characters at all.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

TarotMage
04.10.2013 , 07:29 PM | #849
Sorry to jump into this kinda late but as I am trying to get my scoundrel smuggler to 50, I can't get to Makeb just yet. That being said, I'm hearing all sorts of stuff about SGRA's with the expansion pack but what I've been able to determine is that there is only 1 same-gender romance available and it's dependent on faction: M/M is only available on the Imperial side and F/F is only available on the Republic side.

Is this correct?
"That's gonna leave a mark."

stormdrakelord
04.10.2013 , 08:26 PM | #850
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Interresting you think my question was some sort of an attack. o.O You said it would support. I fail to see what it supports to us in game and to our characters.

But nothing you just said really supports our characters at all.
I do not think that Tatile (likely misspelled) is saying that it supports our characters, but SGRs with our characters by making the idea more common and not something that seems like the hero/heroine exudes some kind of aura that makes gay characters come out, just to be with our character.

Is that right?
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.