Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Temperentia
04.03.2013 , 11:07 AM | #771
I may be wrong, but IIRC at the beginning of the Agent story isn't there an NPC you can flirt with who actually treats you different if you aren't human? I seem to recall that as a chiss the flirt didn't 'work'.

I think things like that are tricky. You'll get a lot of people who will throw hissy fits about being led on. See for example the half-romances with certain party members that don't count as actual full romance paths. I think it could b interesting. However, it does create a few questions. Namely, with all the possible looks and personality choices for players is it going to seem a little off that apparently none of the capable beings of all shapes and sizes and colours parading by this dude or chick is going to attract their eye?

But as I say, I don't see why not. I've always kinda liked Kaliyo for acting, as I tend to put it, more like a PC themself might act. It's be nice to see some more individual will with these characters.

stuffystuffs
04.03.2013 , 12:42 PM | #772
Quote: Originally Posted by Temperentia View Post
I think things like that are tricky. You'll get a lot of people who will throw hissy fits about being led on. See for example the half-romances with certain party members that don't count as actual full romance paths. I think it could b interesting.
I don't think it's bad per se. Having restrictions based on species, for example, can help tell part of the story/establish lore (i.e., Imperials look down upon inter-species relations). I just don't agree that restrictions are always necessary just for the sake of having them.

However, it does create a few questions. Namely, with all the possible looks and personality choices for players is it going to seem a little off that apparently none of the capable beings of all shapes and sizes and colours parading by this dude or chick is going to attract their eye?
This is also part of the problem with placing romance/flirt restrictions based on properties of the PC...the PC can exist as many variations (gender, species, physical appearance, morality, etc) It is simply easier to write interactions for a 'generic' PC. If they wanted flirting/courting to get more specific and do away with 'herosexuality', they easiest way would be to create a more defined PC (one gender, species, appearance, etc).

When thinking about this topic, I remember the Leliana romance from DA:O and the one flirt she has with the female PC, stating that she really likes the PC's hair. Well, it's possible to create a completely bald female PC in that game so for that specific PC, the comment is out of place A more Star Warsy example would be having a companion/NPC comment on the PC's eyes...problematic if the PC is Miraluka. Basically, the writers would have to be careful if they ever wanted to implement really tight romance restrictions on PCs based on factors such as species, possible appearance, etc.
Node guarder

QwibQwib
04.03.2013 , 03:02 PM | #773
So, this is vaguely off topic for the current discussion, but while I was trying to get my (male) Inquisitor up to 50 over the weekend, I had a chat with Talos. He gave me a rather generous compliment, telling me how much he's learned from me and how awesome I am. One of the wheel's spokes read "Are you flirting with me?" so I clicked it, only for my Inquisitor to say "Sorry, but you're not my type," resulting in Talos stammering, saying that wasn't what he meant. I had been hoping that they had somehow smuggled SGR into the game, but alas, it was not meant to be.

IMO, I don't know why he wasn't a love interest to begin with. He gives off a rather strong vibe of hero-worship, and is totally adorable. I seriously hope they make an update where he can be romanceable, because it would totally be in his character. He strikes me as an example of a character who could very well be hero-sexual, but hasn't been able to work up the nerve to address it, but could be fleshed out with post-50 content.

Generally speaking, I don't see the problem with hero-sexual NPCs. They already show that to a degree, where characters will compliment you regardless of your appearance (though it currently depends on your gonads). I mean, IRL, there are tons of instances where people who normally swing one way or another would make an exception for someone famous of the non-preferred gender. The PCs seem like they could be that sort of celebrity, as they'd be one of the most celebrated people in the galaxy.
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

chuixupu
04.03.2013 , 03:17 PM | #774
I may be wrong, but IIRC at the beginning of the Agent story isn't there an NPC you can flirt with who actually treats you different if you aren't human? I seem to recall that as a chiss the flirt didn't 'work'.
Two, actually. Samara Mindak will only sleep with you if you're human. Watcher 2 will develop a relationship with a non-human, but in a totally different way than humans, with different conversations at different points in the story (she's very open with the human agent, and kind of sneaks around if you're alien because she doesn't want anyone to see it)

incidentally,I also noticed an male NPC on Nar Shadaa that acts in a way that I could almost describe as mildly flirtatious with male characters, while it doesn't happen with female characters. (he says "oh, such a tease, you'll haunt my sleep at night!" lol)
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Zandilar
04.03.2013 , 04:02 PM | #775
Quote: Originally Posted by FuryoftheStars View Post
Which I am aware of and is the reason why I have said (at least, I believe I have) that they should add in more.
Yes, I agree with that and had intended to say something to that effect in my post... but got distracted before I finished the post and posted without finishing it properly.

Quote:
But please note, I realize companions are very limited in numbers... thus they would have to be herosexual (unless they increased the pool of available companions and you could pick and choose which ones stay, and which ones go).
Yes, I agree with this too. While I'd love current companions to become available, I'll be happy with new herosexual or bisexual companions. And if I get the opportunity, there's several existing companions I'd like to kick off my various ships.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Tatile
04.03.2013 , 05:35 PM | #776
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
And if I get the opportunity, there's several existing companions I'd like to kick off my various ships.
Skadge.

Corso is on thin ice as well.

The idea of an all female crew for my Smuggler is appealing, though. A Padawan who couldn't make it through the "serenity" portion of the training or an Apprentice whose Master died on a backwater planet and was left to fend for themselves, yeah, I could see that working.

Pull into port, get a few guys in the cargo hold, drop off them when we next need supplies... Lovely Ladies Leisure Lounge.

SithKoriandr
04.03.2013 , 05:55 PM | #777
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Skadge.

The idea of an all female crew for my Smuggler is appealing, though. A Padawan who couldn't make it through the "serenity" portion of the training or an Apprentice whose Master died on a backwater planet and was left to fend for themselves, yeah, I could see that working.

Pull into port, get a few guys in the cargo hold, drop off them when we next need supplies... Lovely Ladies Leisure Lounge.
I was so psyched and ready to romance Corso and then...gaaah! At least I like his combat lines. Torian and Andronikus > Corso :/

Not that I'd want him off my ship. As part of the crew I like him fine but Darmas has been so much more fun to flirt with...

Spoiler
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Ohamsie
04.03.2013 , 08:51 PM | #778
Skadge.

How could you kick out Bowdaar though?
[THE EBON HAWK] The Groundflyer Legacy
Jedi Sentinel Oham | Sith Sorceror Catalon | Scoundrel Gartrick

Tatile
04.04.2013 , 01:01 PM | #779
While not strictly on-topic, the PAR report did another article (I love those guys <3) about trans* individuals and games:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...-their-stories

It touches on importance of player choice in games and how safe environments that encourage such choice, allow people to get a better idea of who they are - or they want to be - without the very real threat of violence that might come from experimenting in meat space.

Also, I thought you guys might enjoy the article.

Edit: Ohmasie - Bowdaar can stay

SithKoriandr
04.04.2013 , 03:12 PM | #780
While not strictly on-topic, the PAR report did another article (I love those guys <3) about trans* individuals and games:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...-their-stories

It touches on importance of player choice in games and how safe environments that encourage such choice, allow people to get a better idea of who they are - or they want to be - without the very real threat of violence that might come from experimenting in meat space.

Also, I thought you guys might enjoy the article.

Edit: Ohmasie - Bowdaar can stay
Very interresting read. Thanks for the link.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry