Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DaVinciDilemma
03.26.2013 , 09:47 PM | #571
Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru View Post
I think there were probably originally no plans for SGRs at all for Makeb. But at some point, for whatever reason, BW made the decision to include them after all (my guess is, they wanted to make some gesture to players who want SGRs). But at that point, development of Makeb was already far along, and so they looked for the easiest way to modify it to allow SGRs
Well, I suppose it is more charitable to attribute to incompetence rather then malice.

But frankly? That's a lot of incompetence. ("Yeah, it'll be in it." "Oh, did you think we meant release? It'll be coming soon after, don't worry!" "Uh, maybe in a bit..." "Hey, we're going F2P, isn't that neat? Please be distracted." "Oh hey, we're doing an expansion, it'll totally be in there!" "Well, no, not as a companion, but it'll be there!" "Equal access? Um... yeah, about that...")

So whether you attribute it to incompetence or malice, I'm not sure you can gussy that donkey up enough to make me think it's a stallion.

SithKoriandr
03.26.2013 , 11:04 PM | #572
Quote: Originally Posted by DaVinciDilemma View Post
Well, I suppose it is more charitable to attribute to incompetence rather then malice.

But frankly? That's a lot of incompetence. ("Yeah, it'll be in it." "Oh, did you think we meant release? It'll be coming soon after, don't worry!" "Uh, maybe in a bit..." "Hey, we're going F2P, isn't that neat? Please be distracted." "Oh hey, we're doing an expansion, it'll totally be in there!" "Well, no, not as a companion, but it'll be there!" "Equal access? Um... yeah, about that...")

So whether you attribute it to incompetence or malice, I'm not sure you can gussy that donkey up enough to make me think it's a stallion.
Or it was rushed to appease some players?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

spookysage
03.26.2013 , 11:44 PM | #573
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Or it was rushed to appease some players?
Odd way to rush it - you'd think with so few in the works, at some point someone could easily have reviewed the list and noticed, "golly gee, these sure are unevenly distributed". But I guess after a certain point, even MMO players can tire of pointing out quasi-improvements both careless and uncaring.

Wittand
03.27.2013 , 02:38 AM | #574
It seems like there will be one romance, either for m/m or f/f, and a flirt for the other side.

Disappointing, but not totally unexpected I guess, since having two full romances per faction on this planet would be a bit much.
Still one full romance of one kind and at least a flirt of the other variety is better than having just insignificant flirts for all.
But I hope that this is only the first step and that in future updates , like the revisiting of leveling content to get rid of inconsistencies, some of the old flirts and romances with companions will be adapted for SGRAs and that future companions will offer a wider spectrum of options.

SithKoriandr
03.27.2013 , 07:04 AM | #575
Quote: Originally Posted by spookysage View Post
Odd way to rush it - you'd think with so few in the works, at some point someone could easily have reviewed the list and noticed, "golly gee, these sure are unevenly distributed". But I guess after a certain point, even MMO players can tire of pointing out quasi-improvements both careless and uncaring.
Well, how do you think they should have done it?

Just more one shot flirts?

Look at the other planets. Planet quest line, one shot missions, and class stories.

Should they have made it so the planet quest giver was the same gender as your character, and not just a male or female?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

JediJonesJr
03.27.2013 , 07:25 AM | #576
I play the game to have fun, i don't play to have sex or have a fantasy about my companion it's a game only a game and i play games to get away from the regular bs .

good thread by op just putting my two cents in.
Will Return After Lunch and lunch is never over.....

Ohamsie
03.27.2013 , 08:07 AM | #577
At first I was really miffed about this decision. The more I think on it though, the more it is making some kind of sense to me. It seems like there are two types of world quests, one where you have a primary npc who gives you quest after course as you make your way through the planet, and another where at the completion of each mission you get handed off to the next general in line at the next outpost. I've always preferred the first way of doing things, as it gives more time to develop the character, and you can have your character develop a "relationship" with that npc. (I fondly remember my Sith Sorceror having a heated rivalry on Taris with Thana Vesh throughout the course of the missions, which eventually turned into grudging respect for each other). If this is how they are doing the SGRs, I guess it makes sense because they developed a different character for each side to be the primary quest giver. There really wouldn't be any other way to do it, it would be super silly to be able to choose the gender of who your quest giver is. Maybe they will switch it around if they decide to do more quests in the future.

I will say that this just highlights the NEED to make SGRs available to companion romances all the more, so developers need to get cracking on that!
[THE EBON HAWK] The Groundflyer Legacy
Jedi Sentinel Oham | Sith Sorceror Catalon | Scoundrel Gartrick

Mevan
03.27.2013 , 08:36 AM | #578
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohamsie View Post
I will say that this just highlights the NEED to make SGRs available to companion romances all the more, so developers need to get cracking on that!
^^nuff said

QwibQwib
03.27.2013 , 09:13 AM | #579
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I want to confirm that what Dulfy stated is correct. I do want to assure you though that with any future SGRA releases it will be our goal to keep things more balanced across faction and gender.

-eric
*cough* I'm sorry, what?

I get that it can be difficult to find a way to implement SGR [Flirt]s that feel like they're part of the story and not just feel like inclusiveness for inclusiveness' sake, but it, at the very best, appears lazy.

This has been in development for how long? SGRs had been promised before launch, and you make it so that not all player characters can even have the option when it finally was included?

Is that what you call good writing?

*takes a breath* Now that I've got that out of my system, I'll try to be more level headed. I'm glad SGRs (even if not SGRAs) were added. I am. It just leaves me... underwhelmed. Severely underwhelmed, because of all the uptalk it was given.

In response to "how else would you have done it (and make it work)?" I can't say. There are countless different directions they could have gone to make it satisfactory. Two "main" quest-givers perhaps for each faction's questline. Or maybe split them up between a main quest-line and a bonus quest-line. Or a quest-giver and a plot-relevant NPC. They could have done a lot of cool things with it. Of course, this is said having not played the expansion myself.

My two cents. Happy it's in, but disappointed in how it was implemented.
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

Khevar
03.27.2013 , 10:18 AM | #580
I guess I've decided to wait until AFTER I've actually played the story and seen how it's implemented before flying off the handle. Strange, huh?

If the implementation tells a good story, then they've done a good job. If the implementation tells a poor story, then they deserve complaints.

Isn't that the reason to include it? To tell a good story?