Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile
03.26.2013 , 02:17 PM | #531
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I want to confirm that what Dulfy stated is correct. I do want to assure you though that with any future SGRA releases it will be our goal to keep things more balanced across faction and gender.

-eric
What... were you thinking? I can honestly say of all the crappy ways you've treated the LGBT community attached to this game, that is by far the single most disgusting thing Bioware: Austin have ever done.

What? There are no gay men in the Republic? No lesbians in the Empire? Let me guess, though, both genders get opposite-gender romances, don't they?

stuffystuffs
03.26.2013 , 02:19 PM | #532
I want to confirm that what Dulfy stated is correct. I do want to assure you though that with any future SGRA releases it will be our goal to keep things more balanced across faction and gender.

-eric
Thanks for the update.

As an aside, I'm guessing the female/male featured on the Makeb cover art will be major characters in the Republic/Imperial story respectively (and the romance options for both genders).
Node guarder

Talahar
03.26.2013 , 02:31 PM | #533
SGR in this game is handled with a level of incompetence that is mindboggling. Utterly ridiculous. *shakes head in disgust*
Major Gyllian Talahar, Human Commando 53, The Progenitor
Darth Banish, Twi'Lek Sorcerer 54, The Progenitor
Captain Galen Talahar, Human Gunslinger 38, The Progenitor
SGR Supporter

Jeca_Cutrer
03.26.2013 , 02:33 PM | #534
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
What... were you thinking? I can honestly say of all the crappy ways you've treated the LGBT community attached to this game, that is by far the single most disgusting thing Bioware: Austin have ever done.

What? There are no gay men in the Republic? No lesbians in the Empire? Let me guess, though, both genders get opposite-gender romances, don't they?
Really, you've got to stop the hyperbole. Bioware hasn't "treated" the LGBT community any way. They made a game. There's no direct bigotry in the game. Therefore the idea that people are being mistreated is impossible.

This is not the California legislature. It's one game made by people who are in good faith making a continuing effort to incorporate more SGR into the game. Save your disgust for actual bigots.
Ebon Hawk - RP-PVE
Cutoli - 50 Narl - 50 Sall - 21 Kakk - 20

Erriq - 50 Barrenus - 36 Tul'kur'sabosen - 25

Tatile
03.26.2013 , 02:37 PM | #535
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeca_Cutrer View Post
Really, you've got to stop the hyperbole. Bioware hasn't "treated" the LGBT community any way. They made a game. There's no direct bigotry in the game. Therefore the idea that people are being mistreated is impossible.
You don't think making a heterocentric, cissexist game is mistreating Bioware's large LGBT fanbase?

Vis-Tecum
03.26.2013 , 02:39 PM | #536

-eric
way to half *** EVERYTHING... thought this would of been a no brainer but not when you have bioware involved. at a loss for words how moronic and clueless game developers are, its astonishing... "it will be our goal to keep things more balanced across faction" ...are you kidding me

bioware... some common sense please
Just go riding right by me on the crest of the new wave

veyl
03.26.2013 , 02:40 PM | #537

-eric
I support everyone that will be pissed off at the Bioware Development team for this. Words can't even describe how distasteful this is after getting the hopes up of a very specific community. (though I'm not a part of them, I whole heartily support their equality with their way of life and who they are. They are human beings and should be respected as such.)

... But I also want to ask a question. Where was the questions from the Closed Beta participants asking why it's FACTION specific? Why weren't they up in arms about that BS?

As a complete aside: This is why the community as a whole trusts nothing the development team says and a major reason the majority of the player base left.
SGR - Told their would be same sex choices through makeb - Not told it's faction specific.
APAC- Told they're working on a solution to keep players together - Forcing them into the American servers because it's easier.
Collectors Edition - Told there would be regular updates - Gives them One reskin of a CM item after a year of the one item they put on it in the first place. AT the same time: Introduced a Cartel Market Vendor with everything the Collectors edition was promised to be.
1.2 RWZ- Said it would be ready - Day before it's pulled. (We're still in preseason a year later, this was just to point out a major past destructive decision)

This is how you lose // lost Subscriptions permanently.

jasoneth
03.26.2013 , 02:40 PM | #538

Actually, it appears not. Males and females on the Republic side are presented with the same [Flirt] options with a female NPC; likewise, there's only a [Flirt] with a male on the Empire side.

That's based on playing through Makeb with male characters on Republic and Empire. The only [Flirt] option I encountered on the Empire side was with a male NPC.
Teo, co-host and producer of OotiniCast

Jenzali
03.26.2013 , 02:43 PM | #539

To Eric Musco and anyone else reading this thread,

I want to apologize on behalf of the LGBT community for posters like this. They are a very vocal minority, but they do not represent all of us. A work of fiction does not "require" there to be LGBT characters, especially if doing so would compromise the quality of the game or the storytelling. Claiming discrimination, mistreatment, or even false advertising is quite simply unfounded, especially considering BioWare is the industry leader and was one of the pioneers in bringing same-gender content to us, the gamers. Without your company's previous efforts the gaming industry would probably still be in the stone age.

I for one, am extremely happy that there are SGRA being added at all. Please do not allow such vitriolic posts as this to make you think that the community is ungrateful.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Tatile
03.26.2013 , 02:43 PM | #540
You know, with this news, I am actually really glad that older posters like MusedMoose, Uluain, Natashina and Fabiyun have left. That way they've missed out on getting kicked in the teeth like this.

Edit: My apologies for being such a terrible person by having an emotional response to something I feel strongly about. I've tried to be respectful and not resort to swearing fits and blind rage, but apparent;y it's not enough. I just can't with this right, especially now that I'm apparently the most hated person in the entire world.