Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sidenti
05.09.2014 , 05:28 AM | #3511
Quote: Originally Posted by vadess View Post
Hmmmm... I could help with those two suggestions, actually. See, I am writing a Lord Cytharat fanfiction and I was thinking of continuing it past Makeb so that he joins my gay sniper on his adventures. Perhaps when I get to that part of the fanfiction I can post it to the suggestion box and see what happens?

Though I'm in Canada, so I doubt I could get together meeting them but I am willing to work with the design team.
That's the amazing thing about the internet - you don't have to be physically present anymore.

Unfortunately...

Spoiler

If that's the case, it becomes a little more problematic - but certainly workable. My advice is to ensure you've accounted for that in your tale. (Shouldn't he hard. Dude's Sith after all, right?)

I like your attitude. Doesn't surprise me to hear you're Canadian. -bp

Sidenti
05.09.2014 , 05:30 AM | #3512
Quote: Originally Posted by TaboriHK View Post
I smell a weirdo.
That's just your upper lip, I imagine.

We betting or not? If we're not, I fail to see what you even bring to the conversation besides that Debbie Downer attitude of yours. Momma must be PROUD. -bp

Tatile
05.09.2014 , 05:43 AM | #3513
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
So this means I'm doing the work now?

Fine. Step aside, then. You want me to do the legwork? You want me to make this happen? Then I lead the charge and you follow and support.

If you want me to spearhead the effort, it becomes my effort. I won't tolerate anything less. Lemme know. -bp
What legwork, exactly? Getting Maclean's email address? Writing a proposal? Getting Bioware/EA's permission to start a Kickstarter? Finding out how much money you'll need to raise? It's probably in the region of 200k, and you'd be attempting to raise that without any reach goals, no physical product toys, and no definite promise of content at the end - if you get Bioware on side, why couldn't they just do it themselves?

Quote:
Creators cannot promise to donate a portion of funds raised or future revenue to a cause.

Kickstarter cannot be used to fund software projects not run by the developers themselves.
Basically you'd have to ask Kickstarter if you (a private independent person) can raise money on behalf of a company (a large international corporation), presumably without the company's permission, and that the thing you are trying to raise money for falls within the limits of the guideline, in particular the two above. I could email them myself, but I'm fairly sure the answer would be "no".

In fact, I will email them myself:

Quote:
Description:
Raising money on behalf of an existing corporation, but as an independent person

Details:
Can an independent person raise money on behalf of a corporation? That is, in this example, can I (a person living in the UK and not employed by EA) raise money to give to EA, in order to fund content for a game they have made (an MMO) and is still being supported (it is having notable content updates and the next one is August)?
That's using the on-site ticket system, and the reply will be sent to my private email (should I receive a reply.) Should I receive a reply, I will post a screenshot and the text of the email in this thread, so as to show that I have:
a) received a reply
b) not tampered with the reply
c) am making the reply public

As for writing a proposal, all I can do is write flowing prose of the aforementioned list that you so helpfully lambasted. I say this because I believe that the backwards compatibility of SGRA content with existing companions into the 1-50 content is important, and while I realise that it might not be programmable because of the game itself is written, I would still like to have the idea itself addressed. From your response to the list, it appears that even requesting thought on the idea is itself ludicrous to you. That would not prevent me from asking the question of Bioware.

Edit: That said, I am in no way preventing you from going about this your own way. If you want to raise 200k to give to EA, be my guest. I can't give any money for it because I need to pay my sub fees. If you can produce results, you'll have done far more than even Bioware has done. I am sceptical about this because it's been so gosh darn long of no information and no interaction.

Tatile
05.09.2014 , 06:08 AM | #3514
Actually, thinking about it, Bruce Maclean's email address might be brucem@bioware.com

Sidenti
05.09.2014 , 07:45 AM | #3515
Your answers are in orange. I like this approach better.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
What legwork, exactly? Getting Maclean's email address? Writing a proposal? Getting Bioware/EA's permission to start a Kickstarter? Finding out how much money you'll need to raise? It's probably in the region of 200k, and you'd be attempting to raise that without any reach goals, no physical product toys, and no definite promise of content at the end - if you get Bioware on side, why couldn't they just do it themselves? Are you kidding me? It's probably gonna take over a mil USD. That's about 500k in your money. This is a major project. Think bigger.

Basically you'd have to ask Kickstarter if you (a private independent person) can raise money on behalf of a company (a large international corporation), presumably without the company's permission, and that the thing you are trying to raise money for falls within the limits of the guideline, in particular the two above. I could email them myself, but I'm fairly sure the answer would be "no". Never, ever seek to raise money on behalf of a company without their permission. That will torpedo a cause before it even gets a head of steam going. You're putting the cart well in front of the horse here. First things first: Establish contact with the decision-makers and find out what the landscape is. If you don't know all the facts before raising that first dime, you are SCREWED. Be patient, be intelligent, and be thorough. Three things all organizers must be.

In fact, I will email them myself:

That's using the on-site ticket system, and the reply will be sent to my private email (should I receive a reply.) Should I receive a reply, I will post a screenshot and the text of the email in this thread, so as to show that I have:
a) received a reply
b) not tampered with the reply
c) am making the reply public

...ah, the impetuousness of youth. You emailed them independently. I didn't tell you to do that. You and I are not going to work very well together at all if you intend to be such a maverick. I mean, you don't even have a counter-response if they DO email you back. Do you?

As for writing a proposal, all I can do is write flowing prose of the aforementioned list that you so helpfully lambasted. I say this because I believe that the backwards compatibility of SGRA content with existing companions into the 1-50 content is important, and while I realise that it might not be programmable because of the game itself is written, I would still like to have the idea itself addressed. From your response to the list, it appears that even requesting thought on the idea is itself ludicrous to you. That would not prevent me from asking the question of Bioware. You're on your own then. You clearly have no desire of being part of a team and you're far too stubborn to realize you don't have the expertise or even the patience to pull off something like this. Being personally invested to the point that you are is also a red flag. I can't work with that, so I won't.

Edit: That said, I am in no way preventing you from going about this your own way. If you want to raise 200k to give to EA, be my guest. I can't give any money for it because I need to pay my sub fees. If you can produce results, you'll have done far more than even Bioware has done. I am sceptical about this because it's been so gosh darn long of no information and no interaction. So, in other words, you want to see it done but you're not interested in contributing, want to do this your way (even though you don't seem to have much of an idea of what that idea will be beyond "rabble rabble rabble" - which has not accomplished your stated goal to date, might I highlight) and your view of the issue can be quite arguably termed "slanted". Yeah, I can't work with that. You wanna help? Step aside, wait two years, and enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor.

TaboriHK
05.09.2014 , 08:51 AM | #3516
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
No need to throw a hissyfit. I'm just saying that this discussion is irrelevant when it comes to whether or not we'll ever see more than a shoehorned [flirt], That doesn't mean you shouldn't discuss it to your hearts content.
There's also no need to be a smarmy jerk.

TaboriHK
05.09.2014 , 08:52 AM | #3517
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
That's just your upper lip, I imagine.

We betting or not? If we're not, I fail to see what you even bring to the conversation besides that Debbie Downer attitude of yours. Momma must be PROUD. -bp
What the hell are you talking about? God, some of the people in this thread.

EDIT: don't bother responding, I just read the magnum opus of nonsense that is your last post.

copperjack
05.09.2014 , 09:04 AM | #3518
Honestly I'm not willing to go through a ton of extra effort for content that was supposed to already be in the game. If there was a miscommunication at some point and the devs believe that putting in a few flirts instead of companion romances fulfills their obligations so that's all we're going to get, then so be it. Even if it turned out to be possible I don't like the idea of basically doing their work for them, and I don't like the precedent it sets. It's one thing to show companies that players are interested and willing to play games with gay and bi characters, but it's something completely different to show them that they can get away with not including them and then have money thrown at them on top of the base price of the game in order to get those characters.

Tatile
05.09.2014 , 11:36 AM | #3519
You know what? Nevermind.

I never asked to work with you, I never expected to work with you, your rhetoric has been one of implying self and sole action. You want to do that, that's fine. I'm not going to in any way hinder you, but I will no longer entertain you, either.

Edit: Damn it I made a grammar error. *rages*

TaboriHK
05.09.2014 , 01:41 PM | #3520
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
You know what? Nevermind.

I never asked to work with you, I never expected to work with you, you're rhetoric has been one of implying self and sole action. You want to do that, that's fine. I'm not going to in any way hinder you, but I will no longer entertain you, either.
Apparently, the internet makes some people imagine and project that they're the modern day version of Daniel Plainview.