Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jason_ralph
03.11.2013 , 03:27 PM | #341
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I was under the impression that every romance in SWTOR needs the player to initiate it (with the exception of Aric Jorgan and Corso Riggs who trick female characters into romances) - not the companion. If you're afraid of being tricked into the romance, as Aric and Corso can for female characters, then write to Bioware and make them aware of that dirty little part of those characters.

Just because the male companions are a romance option for you to choose if you wish, does not mean they're going to harass you into submission. Unless maybe it's Corso.
Still doesn't change the fact that I don't want to get harassed about it,
(over heard on a bounty hunter's star ship)
"You took down the Mandalorian Killer?".
"Yep. Blasted him and the star ship he flew in on".

jason_ralph
03.11.2013 , 03:38 PM | #342
I was under the impression that every romance in SWTOR needs the player to initiate it (with the exception of Aric Jorgan and Corso Riggs who trick female characters into romances) - not the companion. If you're afraid of being tricked into the romance, as Aric and Corso can for female characters, then write to Bioware and make them aware of that dirty little part of those characters.

Just because the male companions are a romance option for you to choose if you wish, does not mean they're going to harass you into submission. Unless maybe it's Corso.
I understand; however, for Andros & Gault (as an example) to randomly bring it up wouldn't make sense. In another play through (I play two of all classes to see another possible outcome)? Sure, by all means. Current one? No. I appreciate we disagree, however.

Tatile
03.11.2013 , 04:28 PM | #343
Quote: Originally Posted by jason_ralph View Post
Still doesn't change the fact that I don't want to get harassed about it,
Sorry if it feels as if I'm attacking you, but I've seen that rather baseless argument a lot from the anti crowd.

Quote: Originally Posted by jason_ralph View Post
I understand; however, for Andros & Gault (as an example) to randomly bring it up wouldn't make sense. In another play through (I play two of all classes to see another possible outcome)? Sure, by all means. Current one? No. I appreciate we disagree, however.
Who?

jason_ralph
03.11.2013 , 04:53 PM | #344
Sorry if it feels as if I'm attacking you, but I've seen that rather baseless argument a lot from the anti crowd.

Who?

I am for it, and have been. I still feel (rather strongly), if SGR couldn't be in, OGR shouldn't have been. But that's me. I get that is a common "excuse", "justification", "reason", etc. of the anti crowd. For me, I have a(n) attachment to Andros & Gault. The other companions are okay, just those two are my favorite. I also get it puts those who have progressed or completed the class stories in a bad spot (I'm pretty sure others like them, too). And it wouldn't be fair to those to have to replay. Which is why I'm sure someone will feel short changed. Not sure how that will go, just get it doesn't mean I'm against it.

Andros, whose name I shorten from Andronikus Revel is a companion of the Sith Inquisitor. Gault, is a companion of the Bounty Hunter. I am sure romancing them would be fun, for a lot of reasons. However, that's not the relationship they have with the BH & SI am currently playing. I have played two of every class. I'm all down for a romance the second time. This one? It'll ruin it. I'm in the early stages of Act 3 currently. Maybe I'm off, but I'd feel by now they would have made a pass at me (or vice versa). As it stands, it'll feel forced, and I'd rather have it done right. But yeah, that's just my opinion on it.

Tatile
03.11.2013 , 05:07 PM | #345
Oh, right, Andronikus and Gault, I thought you were making some sort of Dragon Effect reference.

I suppose that's a personal thing, though. I don't believe I'd care that much about seeing a [Flirt] option suddenly pop up for Ashara on either my Sorcerer or Assassin, but that's because I know neither of them would be interested in her (Sorc sees her as a pupil and my Sin is a human purist.)

Also, how right or not it feels would, I think, largely depend on how Bioware try to write the romances in (and whether they're applicable retroactively, which they should be, but anyway...) and in keeping they are with what we know about the current companions. If Andronikus becomes a gay romance option, it'd be truly idiotic of them to make him some camp stereotype* in those conversations, because that's not how his personality is - he is, from what I've seen, a rugged romantic: he likes the emotional and intimate moments, but he's not soppy, multi-string pet name, drown-the-Fury-in-rose-petals romantic. Change up a couple of lines and the scenes from the current female-partner romance with him would work just as well with a male partner.

*Although one would hope they stay away from introducing stereotypes as a quick fix solution anyway.

jason_ralph
03.11.2013 , 05:31 PM | #346
I lack subtlety.
If I was to make a reference to Anders (I'm guessing that's who you mean), I'd just go there. I still have no clue how Anders' goes from doing every skirt (female) he could get close to in Awakening, to wanting my skirt (character was a Mage). I still want to know what happened. That how you go from cracking wise *** remarks, to dark & gloomy.
Far as stereotypes... I will say they are either humerus or awful. Look no further than the trooper. The class story & companions, come off as the stereotypical view of the military (by those who don't serve), that (as one who served), it cracks me up at points. But yeah, they shouldn't go there.

MilesTeg_cy
03.12.2013 , 09:17 AM | #347
I support same gender sex. As a male player, I want my female characters do "the thing" with female companions. Watching them will be fun :P

The characters we are playing are not us. Why take a game so serious?
All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. - Frank Herbert

Rabenschwinge
03.12.2013 , 11:27 AM | #348
Quote: Originally Posted by MilesTeg_cy View Post
I support same gender sex. As a male player, I want my female characters do "the thing" with female companions. Watching them will be fun :P

The characters we are playing are not us. Why take a game so serious?
Well a lot of people, escpecially those who are actually gay, take it pretty serious, because they feel that they are cut out and neglected. BioWare games have features same gender romances in the past, but this game does not even though it does feature romances to the degree that there is at least one option in every single class, and lots of minor one-night-stands and hasty kisses along the path, depending on what class you choose. The problem is less the actual absence of same gender romances, but this feeling of being treated unfair for marketing convenience. It may even go as far as to read an implicit statement against homosexuality.

People who are against it usually are because they think they'd be harassed by characters of their own gender, which would fundamentally change the relationship towards them. If you have a good buddy you're going to war with and share your stories, and he suddenly wants into your bed that fundamentally changes the relationship towards that character.

Other people refuse it for cultural and religious reasons, often fielding the argument that their children might be drawn to homosexuality if it is depicted in a positive way.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Slaign
03.12.2013 , 02:48 PM | #349
The developers answered questions about Makeb at South by Southwest (SXSW) and the video is online now. Unfortunately the audience didn't seem very engaged, they had trouble getting questions and none of the questions they got felt very inspired.

Nothing directly relating to SGRAs was discussed, but one person did ask about the level of companion interaction on Makeb. Those of us who love our companions will undoubtedly be disappointed with the answer, which is that companion content will be very light, limited to only quick comments.

Still, in discussing how important companions are to the game and the dev team, Mr. Schubert did let one kernel of enticing information slip. He says:
Quote:
We are not only always looking for ways to make our current interactions with companions better - I actually have two design documents on my desk right now for ideas that have been thrown at me for ways to do that, way in the future, NOT SOON - but we're also looking at ways to expand that cast of characters and bring more interesting characters in for the players to enjoy as well.
So, not promising for anything involving current companions at any near-future date. Still, we can hope that one of those two design documents on his desk pertains to SGRAs. (Or if your an optimist we can hope the not soon refers to the documents on his desk, and SGRAs are already past that point...)

It's so frustrating that the people that attend these things always ask the same stuff. It's discouraging that we never seem to get anyone standing up live and asking a question about SGRAs, where they can't just ignore the question.

They were practically begging for questions in that room. If any of the people that keep on top of this issue had been in that room, it seems like it would be so easy to ask the question. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that there were. I wish all these things weren't so far away from where I live.

EDIT: Oops I forgot to link the video, didn't I? Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOagbv9eAfc

Tatile
03.12.2013 , 02:53 PM | #350
Quote: Originally Posted by Slaign View Post
They were practically begging for questions in that room. If any of the people that keep on top of this issue had been in that room, it seems like it would be so easy to ask the question. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that there were. I wish all these things weren't so far away from where I live.
I'd have bombarded them with question - everything from class balancing (of which I know nothing) to SGRAs and chairs. Of course, I can only go as far as Brighton and apparently they don't "do" questions at their pub crawls.