Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Maullum
04.12.2014 , 11:25 AM | #3311
The worst part is I actually like Theron, but because of his FPness and book-ness, we probably won't ever will get a FtB with him. (Or get him as a companion, which I admit, is my dream).

Admittedly, once this is all over, even Lana could make a good companion.... hmm...
Both the light and dark are flawed, it is the balance which amazes all.

Tatile
04.12.2014 , 11:48 AM | #3312
Quote: Originally Posted by Maullum View Post
The worst part is I actually like Theron, but because of his FPness and book-ness, we probably won't ever will get a FtB with him. (Or get him as a companion, which I admit, is my dream).

Admittedly, once this is all over, even Lana could make a good companion.... hmm...
Part of me thinks Lana is an ex-Watcher, and not a Sith at all, dunno why.

Also, I'm pretty sure we won't be getting any companions with story/significant story again, nor any updates to existing companions (and not any story content outside of "wee! flashpoints!" - I've not even done the KDY stuff)

DarthAeonis
04.13.2014 , 09:48 PM | #3313
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post

Also, I'm pretty sure we won't be getting any companions with story/significant story again, nor any updates to existing companions (and not any story content outside of "wee! flashpoints!" - I've not even done the KDY stuff)
first of all I think bioware should be commended on trying to bring the sgrs to star wars 1 step at a time. I mean come on now we can actually flirt with a council member. that's pretty awesome. and there are many more sgr characters being introduced. id expect out next companion to be the same way. second in regards to lana I have a strong feeling that due to her dialogue of bein able to sense this new disturbance and her bein possibly connected to it suggest that she as well is......one of the emperors children. the message from the hand suggest possible story lore as well. I think shiz is bout to get real.
"Evil is an illusion, there is only victory."

vadess
04.14.2014 , 09:24 AM | #3314
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post

You don't know that Tatile, None of us do.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthAeonis View Post
first of all I think bioware should be commended on trying to bring the sgrs to star wars 1 step at a time. I mean come on now we can actually flirt with a council member. that's pretty awesome. and there are many more sgr characters being introduced. id expect out next companion to be the same way. second in regards to lana I have a strong feeling that due to her dialogue of bein able to sense this new disturbance and her bein possibly connected to it suggest that she as well is......one of the emperors children. the message from the hand suggest possible story lore as well. I think shiz is bout to get real.
And I agree with you, Darth Aeonis. The fact that with each new added story they've been including SGR in some of the dialogue is a good thing, same goes with revealing the new story arc little by little... Just like TV shows do. And I think since only Juhani and one gay mandalorian couple have been in Star Wars, I think adding it in slowly is perhaps the wisest thing on their part because it is still fairly new. However, I trust Bioware will introduce more of and perhaps the arc will add a new companion.

Personally, I cannot wait to see where things go and who knows? Lanna and perhaps Cytharat will be the new companions? We simply don't know.

*goes back to writing Lord Cytharat x my gay Imperial agent... with a twist!*
Noxturna- DPS Juggernaut, Begeren Colony
Caedusios- Tanking Assassin, Begeren Colony
Crimsèn- Marksman Sniper

ShadessaWayland
04.16.2014 , 02:44 PM | #3315
now i play a female Vanguard
i so wanne romance jaxo it sound funny but i like that girl bummer she cant be your comp

was the mail i get from her

Spoiler

so what do you guys think about Jaxo ??

isaqueMar
04.16.2014 , 06:49 PM | #3316
whatever

DameonGrey
04.26.2014 , 04:34 PM | #3317
This is obviously an old topic, but I wanted to throw in my two cents.

It's obvious that some players get up in arms when homosexuality in games is "forced on them" simply by having it be an option. So how is that any different from players who would normally play gay romances having heterosexuality forced on them? That's what bothers me.

I briefly read some of the other posts early on in this thread, and I entirely support the concept of being able to toggle this option in the preferences panel. That would save a lot of people the trouble of being with or without gay romances.

I would also like to strongly advise Bioware against making "token" gay characters. If he's gay, he must be slightly more effeminate and less aggressive (Which is how I saw Lord Cytharat), or extremely butch lesbian characters. Those are stereotypes and they're irritating. My best example is in ME3, the shuttle pilot, who was our token gay character, was portrayed as an emotion non-combatant for the most part, while Vega was our beefed up, macho hetero (not complaining because he was kind of gorgeous).

Outside of this game, I am an art historian, and there has always been a very deep rooted gender hierarchy in Western tradition. From top to bottom it goes Men>Lesbians>Gay Men> Women. And I promise I'm not one of those angry 70's feminists (in fact I am quite against that attitude). The idea behind that hierarchy is that masculinity is valued over femininity, and lesbians are seen as more masculine than gay men, even though those are both inaccurate stereotypes.

So, I went a little off topic, but I wanted to throw in my vote for more gay romances, while at the same time warning against "token" characters that only fit a set of very narrow minded stereotypes.

Also, if given a man or a woman, with no back story, my male sniper would go after the male, but if given Lord Cytharat and Watcher 2/keeper, he would go after her because their story is more interesting as are their interactions. My point is, having a random gay character here and there that we interact with once or twice is not nearly as appealing as a character that our characters have to interact with throughout the story. I've developed some sort of relationship with my companions that's unique to the fact that I gained them early on and continue to interact with them throughout most of the game. That relationship (whether it's romantic or not) is more important to me than any "Hey look, you can put that here!" character offered once or twice.

vadess
04.26.2014 , 04:53 PM | #3318
Quote: Originally Posted by DameonGrey View Post
I briefly read some of the other posts early on in this thread, and I entirely support the concept of being able to toggle this option in the preferences panel. That would save a lot of people the trouble of being with or without gay romances.
A toggle option is considered discrimination, so they will never implement it.
Noxturna- DPS Juggernaut, Begeren Colony
Caedusios- Tanking Assassin, Begeren Colony
Crimsèn- Marksman Sniper

Shinian
04.26.2014 , 10:21 PM | #3319
I am posting on behalf of FTP players who cannot post on these forums. Many of them support this option as well.

theUndead
04.27.2014 , 04:18 AM | #3320
Quote: Originally Posted by vadess View Post
A toggle option is considered discrimination, so they will never implement it.
This. No toggles of ANY kind will be implemented.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche