Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

vadess
01.24.2014 , 04:14 PM | #3151
Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru View Post
Our internationally (in)famous mayor recently introduced the wider population to a new one: bumbaclot.

Let's see how that one fares.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I have no idea what that's even supposed to mean but it sounds hilarious.

Plus if it's not censored in the Us it might as well not exist as a word :P
It means you're talking to a Torontonian referring to the latest Mayor Rob Ford video that Rob Ford wishes someone would light on fire for him lol. And the word "bumbaclot" is a Jamaican Patois swear word.

The US won't censor Rob Ford as I think the US finds Rob Ford hilarious.
To Cipher the SIS
Have 7 days subscription, and a free character transfer on me: http://www.swtor.com/r/yM6Njk

drakensang
01.24.2014 , 04:20 PM | #3152
Quote: Originally Posted by vadess View Post
My understanding of ancient Greek and Roman culture, as well as the ANE, is that it really depended on who was in charge as well as who the deities of the time were. For example, in Canaanite culture worship of the gods Baal and Ashera involved both ritual ****- and heterosexual sex because they were both fertility gods. I believe one of the Roman Emperors was homosexual, unfortunately he was also a pedophile, so he'd be a poor example.
To modern understanding a lot of accepted Homosexuality in ancient Rome would likely border on pedophilia, due to the fact that if you liked bottoming as an adult - and adulthood came earlier those days - you were what people nowadays call a sissy -aka no real man.

And given that calling your political opponent effeminate and meaning weak-willed and not trustworthy with it, was a quite popular insult then (and is still today, if you are the governator in opposition to the girly men), having an adult male same sex lover without being obviously and exclusively the pitcher, could dent your social standing somewhat.

eartharioch
01.24.2014 , 04:24 PM | #3153
I have no idea what that's even supposed to mean but it sounds hilarious.

Plus if it's not censored in the Us it might as well not exist as a word :P
I'm not sure what *that* is supposed to mean....

Are you saying that [Americans believe that] only things that offend Americans are offensive (and thus should be censored), or that Americans are so prudish that they censor everything, ergo, if it is isn't censored in America, it isn't anything?

:P
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!
This is not my referral link

Tatile
01.24.2014 , 04:50 PM | #3154
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
I'm not sure what *that* is supposed to mean....

Are you saying that [Americans believe that] only things that offend Americans are offensive (and thus should be censored), or that Americans are so prudish that they censor everything, ergo, if it is isn't censored in America, it isn't anything?

:P
First one, ish. Only things Americans (USians) know in their day-to-day are censored. It's why you can use a British racial epithet (starts with n, rhymes with eggnog) on these forums with impunity. The word doesn't exist in the US, even if over here it's pretty much the same as the ubiquitous 'n'word. (Generally used by older generations.)

You yell 'minge' or 'bollocks' in a professional environment, you're going to suffer consequences. On these forums, the US moderators go "aww, cute, Britishisms!"

I mean, *** is censored but arse isn't. Come on.

eartharioch
01.24.2014 , 05:15 PM | #3155
You yell 'minge' or 'bollocks' in a professional environment, you're going to suffer consequences. On these forums, the US moderators go "aww, cute, Britishisms!"

I mean, *** is censored but arse isn't. Come on.
TBH, I don't know that I'd call software that replaces certain character strings with asterisks as a Moderator. I would guess that which terms gets asterisked and which don't are determined before the post gets displayed to any viewer, and thus (if reported) to an actual human moderator (U.S. or otherwise).

Also, I prefer a liberal moderation policy -- I like it when people describe as colorfully as possible exactly who they are.

(FYI, I frequently use asterisks when I'm typing to indicate where I'd like to use a 'questionable' word, but choose not to do so, and it annoys me that it gets presented to viewers the same as if I actually used the word. Also, software not very good at distinguishing use v. mention.)

Tatile
01.24.2014 , 05:21 PM | #3156
TBH, I don't know that I'd call software that replaces certain character strings with asterisks as a Moderator. I would guess that which terms gets asterisked and which don't are determined before the post gets displayed to any viewer, and thus (if reported) to an actual human moderator (U.S. or otherwise).

Also, I prefer a liberal moderation policy -- I like it when people describe as colorfully as possible exactly who they are.

(FYI, I frequently use asterisks when I'm typing to indicate where I'd like to use a 'questionable' word, but choose not to do so, and it annoys me that it gets presented to viewers the same as if I actually used the word. Also, software not very good at distinguishing use v. mention.)
I'm sure they can add new words to the filter.

Also, per the asterisks, the GW2 official forums had a word replace: kittens.

eartharioch
01.24.2014 , 05:23 PM | #3157
Americans (USians) .
Lol, how do you pronounce USians? us-ee-enz? yew-ess-ee-enz? yewj-enz? ush-enz? And the country is the U.S.A., so USAsians would seem to be a better fit, and flow better (yew-ess-ajh-enz), but I'll leave the problems with that term as an exercise for the reader

eartharioch
01.24.2014 , 05:33 PM | #3158
I'm sure they can add new words to the filter.

Also, per the asterisks, the GW2 official forums had a word replace: kittens.
1) Adding new words to the delete filter is --good (or is that ++bad, lol)

2) I like the word-replace, but I think a solid block (that can be revealed by highlighting if you are <age of majority>+) would be better. Or something like REDACTED.

3) 'kitten' is a bad choice because one of its synonyms is a word that would get replaced by 'kitten'.

Optionally, people could just check out what the level of access (13+, 18+, whatever) and purpose of a forum is and just, stop being sacks of Germans. (sorry, been holding that one in for a while)

Tatile
01.24.2014 , 05:34 PM | #3159
Lol, how do you pronounce USians? us-ee-enz? yew-ess-ee-enz? yewj-enz? ush-enz? And the country is the U.S.A., so USAsians would seem to be a better fit, and flow better (yew-ess-ajh-enz), but I'll leave the problems with that term as an exercise for the reader
U-s-e-en. Obviously.

USAsians just looks like, well, US Asians. It's weird that North America is a continent, but then US citizens are Americans... and then you've got Central and South America, and they're Central and South Americans, but only if you don't refer to their country of origin. But Canadians aren't American. Or North American. They're Canadian.

I m starting to hit incoherent-tired. Or maybe that's dehydration.

Tatile
01.24.2014 , 05:37 PM | #3160
1) Adding new words to the delete filter is --good (or is that ++bad, lol)

2) I like the word-replace, but I think a solid block (that can be revealed by highlighting if you are <age of majority>+) would be better. Or something like REDACTED.

3) 'kitten' is a bad choice because one of its synonyms is a word that would get replaced by 'kitten'.

Optionally, people could just check out what the level of access (13+, 18+, whatever) and purpose of a forum is and just, stop being sacks of Germans. (sorry, been holding that one in for a while)
Yeah but, what's the likelihood that people will abuse the ability to swear? Or do something moronic, like let their six year old into the 18+ board and then cry at Bioware? Probably one of the many reasons why there's a filter for the forums.