Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jbeans
03.05.2013 , 12:43 AM | #271
I am all for same sex romance story lines. I love the cut scenes and stories in this game and that would just open up more options as well as making a lot of players happy (both gay and straight). As with any story options, you can choose to do it or not to do it. It wouldn't upset anyone that didn't want it!

JediMB
03.05.2013 , 04:41 AM | #272
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Oh, I get that the equipment needs a redesign. I can appreciate that a species which isn't essentially a human with a reskin is a pain in the butt for them to implement, I meant more the matter of things such as cutscenes and whatnot. I can appreciate that adding species isn't cheap, quick or easy but my concern is that if they've modelled the game on a core programming suite that will realistically only allow them to offer playable species that are pretty much human from the neck down then it's a tad... short-sighted of them.
Very much agreed.

I was near-ecstatic when I recently read a Project Eternity update that detailed how the tools and systems Obsidian are working on will let them quickly refit any armor they create to go with a variety of body types. That's the sort of forward thinking BioWare would have needed during preproduction of SWTOR.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
When all you have to do is a DNA test to determine gender, it's pretty binary. What one identifies with mentally, doesn't make that change.
Sex, or physical gender, is actually not determined by DNA (specifically the XX and XY chromosome pairs) as it was previously believed. That became a pretty big deal when women, who had been girls/women their whole lives, were disqualified from the olympics for having XY chromosomes.

Sex is actually determined by hormones, and the development of one's sex is a gradual process that goes on from the womb until the end of puberty. The hormone production is generally controlled by the previously mentioned chromosomes, but exceptions are common enough that we can't hold it as a rule. And that's not even going into mental gender.

But we'll probably have to wait for an ambitious singleplayer game for developers to even try to take non-binary sex or separate gender into account. Or Skyrim mods. It won't happen in a nearly failed MMO where they're barely able to produce any new content that isn't locked behind real money pay walls, though.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Kioma
03.05.2013 , 05:48 AM | #273
1) It's rare enough that you're likely to never meet one, it's so rare it's they can't even say 1% of the population. It's that rare.
Absolutely not the point. Gender is not binary; sex is not binary. That's the fact of the matter.

Quote:
2) Kiome...I dont think this is the thread to really continue this discussion Which, I thought my last post made clear in saying "Yeah! Lets add this!"

I say androgonous, because I'd like a body type that gave off a more feminine figure while still having people go "Male or female?"
I'm not entirely clear on what you're objecting about with this point as I agree with you on the matter of androgynous body shapes, I just don't think we need to wait for another species to implement it. But you seem entirely determined to disagree so I suppose you're welcome to.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

SithKoriandr
03.05.2013 , 07:58 AM | #274
Absolutely not the point. Gender is not binary; sex is not binary. That's the fact of the matter.

I'm not entirely clear on what you're objecting about with this point as I agree with you on the matter of androgynous body shapes, I just don't think we need to wait for another species to implement it. But you seem entirely determined to disagree so I suppose you're welcome to.
I didn't disagree. I was trying to change/drop the off subject topic we started to go in, only to have you and another keep it going.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Kioma
03.05.2013 , 06:44 PM | #275
I didn't disagree. I was trying to change/drop the off subject topic we started to go in, only to have you and another keep it going.
If you say so.

SithKoriandr
03.06.2013 , 08:13 AM | #276
If you say so.
I sense snark But I keep getting posts deleted everytime I try to prove a point. And that one was a very simple one to point out that it was quite binary and not worth the infractures.

Kioma
03.06.2013 , 06:24 PM | #277
I sense snark But I keep getting posts deleted everytime I try to prove a point. And that one was a very simple one to point out that it was quite binary and not worth the infractures.
I realise what your point was, I was simply refuting it because it's ideologically and biologically incorrect (as more people than I have pointed out). Though I agree we'll end up getting infractions if we continue.

Having said that I never said (or even implied) that I thought the total scale of sex and gender should be represented in character generation. That would be too complex for a game to take into account. Everything in the game is simplified for ease of play and understanding. The player doesn't need to train in astrophysics to have their character astrogate correctly from one point to another. In fact I said a few posts ago to Infir that I don't expect a separation between gender and model (the easiest and quickest way to represent the sex/gender scale) to ever be available in-game (and there's lots of reasons I think that, most of which I can't safely state here).

What I want to see from the game is actually very simple:
  • Same Gender Relationship Arcs - equitably done, meaning the same number of love interests for both male and female PCs, attained at similar levels and with the same quality of writing (or better) as OGRAs
  • Gay, Straight, Lesbian and Bisexual love interests, both companion and non-companion
  • Transgendered NPCs (I have, it should be noted, zero problem with transgendered companions so take 'NPCs' to mean 'companion or non-companion NPCs')
  • Equal NPC flirt/'encounter' opportunities, CLEARLY MARKED.

Secondarily, I'd like to see implemented:
  • A way of redoing the romances for existing characters in case the change to include SGRAs means current players 'miss out' due to going past a romance point
  • At least some of the existing characters being made bisexual
  • A higher writing quality to the romances overall (I actually don't mind the ones I've seen but I know a lot of people object to them)
  • Walk-Up Conversation - the ability to walk up to a companion on your ship and open a DAO-style conversation with them (perhaps this only unlocks once the player has reached a certain level of friendship with the companion, or has performed a certain quest for the companion)
  • Pitch controls to alter the voices of the PCs (to make them deeper or higher as appropriate)
  • Body sliders to expand the range of shapes available (though as discussed this may not be possible)
  • Removal of the gender flag on clothing (yes, my huge broad-shouldered black-and-red Zabrak Light Side male Sith Warrior should be able to dress in a slave bikini if it pleases him - who's going to tell him no?)

There's a lot more stuff but most of it isn't related to SGRAs.

Lent_San
03.08.2013 , 02:47 AM | #278
EA promoting inclusion and equality in newly released video

www.youtube.com/embed/_RgEA07lAZI

Opinions?

Tatile
03.08.2013 , 04:13 AM | #279
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post

Opinions?
The lack of clips from SWTOR is telling in many ways. Doesn't look like we'll have any note-worthy interactions on Makeb, then :/

It was sweet to see the couples in their old age, though.

Too bad this won't change the opinion of many gamers. (Though, I have seen a lot less hate on the forums directed towards us now - the "who would you romance" thread is doing well with only one or two people being idiots in it. Must've been the Makeb announcement that made the "waahh, gays! I'll quit!" people put their subscription where their bigotry was.)

Rabenschwinge
03.08.2013 , 04:18 AM | #280
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post

Opinions?
"The full spectrum" is not entirely accurate when it comes to what is shown in this video... something is amiss.
At first I thought this was a video cut together by fans, not an official EA release. Oh, and Traynor doesn't count ...
Ah, yes. "Reapers."