Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kioma
02.28.2013 , 02:12 PM | #231
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I wonder if the writer of Doc didn't see him as annoying and rather saw his flirts as in fact the best ever, and players saw it as more annoying then anything else (and not all players even think it's annoying).

It's happened in fiction plenty of times, writer writes a character as being serious but comes off as a comical joke to most people who read/view the character.

Or has the writer for Doc come out and said the point of the Doc was to be annoying to the broader audience?
That's the thing, I don't think he was ever meant to be annoying or smooth per se, I think he was meant to be the kind of guy who thinks he's all sorts of awesome in a mug but in fact he's just kind of goofy. I don't even get much of a sleaze vibe from him, I mostly get a vibe of a guy who'd really LOVE to be the cool dude but is, in fact, just an extremely skilled doctor with a Bruce Campbell fixation.

I mean we can't know without talking to the writers (unlikely at best, I'd say) but that's the impression I get.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Lent_San
02.28.2013 , 02:25 PM | #232
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I'm actually puzzled as to why that question bothered you so much that you came out of lurking. Or was it just your way of bumping a thread?
No, it was her way of saying you're annoying in your way of twisting words and posts to your liking. No wonder most of the original posters are barely visiting this thread anymore. You're an expert in bumping this thread by the way, as you tend to double-post instead of multi-quote.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
"Sorry, you're not my type" or "I'm not interested in you in that way, sorry. Can we still be friends?" should be options as friendly let downs for companions.
And the chat wheel thing? I'll try to find the post I made about it. Wish me luck, I could blast right through in my explosive archaeology.
Edit: Tis here - Action and Diplomacy Whee. Switch that up for romance conversations with "furthering" and "stopping" sides, giving you about six options on what you want to do (Flirt, Talk, Intimate or Kind Break Up, Mean Break Up, Non-committal Response.)
Probably wouldn't happen though.
I'd like that to happen. It would make chat options much more understandable.

SithKoriandr
02.28.2013 , 03:49 PM | #233
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
No, it was her way of saying you're annoying in your way of twisting words and posts to your liking. No wonder most of the original posters are barely visiting this thread anymore. You're an expert in bumping this thread by the way, as you tend to double-post instead of multi-quote.

I didn't twist any words. I asked a question. And quite frankly the post left me baffled.

The thread is about making things "fair"/"equal" yet the same posters asking for that in SGR seem perfectly fine in the case of SG, with having different options based on genders. Rude to male is okay and wanted, but only have neutral options for females.

Personally, I like the idea of having the gauntlet of options, instead of limiting. At the same time, I don't see them going past 3 chat options, which limits the possible reactions to anything.

Not to mention, when I put in a suggestion for what would be more comical turn down option (which I said could work for any gender/orientation of character) I got a "that hurts the RL cause" reply, when I'm not here for RL causes, I'm here for the game, having fun, and hoping to see at some point more options for making a character how I'd like, while still keeping to the theme/lore of Star Wars.

And yeah, you're right, I've always been bad at using the multi-quote option. At the same time, while I may be bad at using that function, I don't do it to bump threads.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Tatile
02.28.2013 , 03:51 PM | #234
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
At the very least they should stop the bait-and-switch practice of putting a reasonable sounding option that actually makes your character act like an arse when they talk. I had a recent one where "Alert security" because "Quit whining, peasant, I am a JEDI and am beyond such petty concerns /slap"

I mean, really? In context "Alert security" was "let security know there are people with stolen key codes breaking in" not "Shall I show the level of my arse-hattery?"

Could you imagine the [Flirt]s being so weird? Where "I think you look nice" becomes "Come to the bedroom of WONDER"

Yeah... no.

SithKoriandr
02.28.2013 , 03:53 PM | #235
At the very least they should stop the bait-and-switch practice of putting a reasonable sounding option that actually makes your character act like an arse when they talk. I had a recent one where "Alert security" because "Quit whining, peasant, I am a JEDI and am beyond such petty concerns /slap"

I mean, really? In context "Alert security" was "let security know there are people with stolen key codes breaking in" not "Shall I show the level of my arse-hattery?"

Could you imagine the [Flirt]s being so weird? Where "I think you look nice" becomes "Come to the bedroom of WONDER"

Yeah... no.
Oh how that's been a pet peeve of mine and everyone I've played with.

I wonder if they wouldn't have been better if they did something akin to...

Option 1) respond sarcasticly
Option 2) respond positively.
Option 3) respond like a jerk.

"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Lent_San
02.28.2013 , 04:00 PM | #236
Yeah... no.
I had that happen to me too often, so often I prefer the choices that seem 100% clear and there's not really that many of them. You know, it's fun at times when your replies to people come out a teeny, tiny bit differently to what the line in the dialogue wheel suggests. DA and even ME make use of that to some extent.

To make it into a different 'vibe' altogether, that's something I do not enjoy and I don't even think they're doing it on purpose. I guess they're just kind of bad at captioning stuff. And that gives them the benefit of doubt here, I must say.

JediMB
02.28.2013 , 04:33 PM | #237
I've been playing a Trooper recently, and it quickly become clear to me that picking an option from the dialogue wheel that involved the word "sir" would in fact never produce an actual voiced line with that word in it, whereas options without the word would quite often do so.

Really makes you abhor the dialogue wheel, and love the solution inXile are implementing in Wasteland 2. Where your dialogue options are an expandable set of keywords, and hovering the mouse over them actually produces that full line the character will utter.

(Oh, and on another note... Walt Disney's apparently one of many entertainment companies showing support for same-sex marriages right now. Worth knowing, although we should avoid discussing it here on the SWTOR forums.)
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Tatile
02.28.2013 , 05:02 PM | #238
It would be nice if, in a future expansion, they could address the dialogue wheel and all its follies. Introduce it as part of the package upgrade to class stories and companion quests - I'm sure there are few writers who would like having more options to write for, though I imagine it could make working out the trees a bit iffy.

Now, onto "who I would romance with my characters":

If, for some bizarre and unknown reason, I cannot romance the very romantic Vector, Lokin is... eh. He's ok, but he's more like mentor-come-family figure in the absolutely-no-serious-ties-ever life that is being Cipher and that's not... well, maybe Cipher Nine might have a kink that makes him so inclined, I just don't know yet.

My Warrior would definitely jump at the chance to romance Vette, but not Jaesa. As a Dark Side Sith, she finds Jaesa's unbridled evil enthusiasm funny to certain extent, but I could imagine the "kill puppies, knock over ice-cream cones" would become grating after a while.

My Inquisitor only as Ashara as an option and she's just - she comes across as naive and confused sometimes. I think my Light Side Sorcerer would be more inclined to uphold the idea of being her teacher, rather than muddying that with an affair. Also my Sorc married Andronikus because he's a sexy pirate :/ she's probably have Talos as second husband though, if he brought her flowers and they had tea together and talked about Sith history.

valicetra
02.28.2013 , 08:39 PM | #239
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but that's absolutely not the case for me. Male, female or variable, annoying people are annoying. I personally would try to let anyone down gently, annoying or not, but my characters aren't always so empathic. Heck, my SI would let someone down as scathingly as possible just to see their confidence wither. She'd have a great (though not healthy) time with Doc.
I do agree with you. I don't in a grand scheme male or female makes any difference in how annoying they can be, I was only questioning the tone of the post I was replying too.

I personally like the annoying characters, they ad flavor to the game and I'm not forced into romancing them. I haven't had the pleasure of talking to Doc in game, but there's annoying guys in real life too right? Helps with the immersion I'd say. Not everyone's going to be "prince charming", and I'm glad, I think that would get annoying too.

Everyone has different tastes and if we want things to be fare we need the annoying options to because not everyone has the same definition of annoying...
Say is that a tentacle?

SithKoriandr
02.28.2013 , 10:36 PM | #240
Quote: Originally Posted by valicetra View Post
I do agree with you. I don't in a grand scheme male or female makes any difference in how annoying they can be, I was only questioning the tone of the post I was replying too.

I personally like the annoying characters, they ad flavor to the game and I'm not forced into romancing them. I haven't had the pleasure of talking to Doc in game, but there's annoying guys in real life too right? Helps with the immersion I'd say. Not everyone's going to be "prince charming", and I'm glad, I think that would get annoying too.

Everyone has different tastes and if we want things to be fare we need the annoying options to because not everyone has the same definition of annoying...
Which is why some love Ashara and others hate her! ^_^