Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile
11.05.2013 , 06:41 PM | #2291
Quote: Originally Posted by AelixVII View Post
Then after the years roll by the pestering turns hostile and it suddenly becomes 'selfish not to' and necessary to be a 'biologically fulfilled woman' -_- Ugh. (I hope this doesn't happen to you personally. It shouldn't happen to anyone).

OT: Bioware, your silence feels eerie sometimes, it really does.

P.S. Still mad about Cytharat. S.h.i.t, do you think they even bother to remove swears anymore? Another infraction would be worth it just to see at this point.
We briefly discussed adoption, but mostly for the factor "the care system is utter crap, it's better to just help a kid out, rather than add to the problem" than "we want children and can't afford IVF." What pisses me off royally (I've snapped at the two co-workers (unfortunately, both women, men seemingly have the sense not to ask) who have asked) when people go "but what if you did become pregnant, what would you do?" - as if my personal opinion on abortion is their business. I swear to god.

My mum's awesome though. Not a big fan of snakes, but she's not asking about grandchildren.

To Bioware's silence - they posted only about the maintenance and *whee* introducing in-game CC purchases, not the issues people are having, nor clarifying the necessity for a full-price purchases prior to half-off. And they love their Cartel Market.

I've been pestering them about male slave gear recently, as well, and they've been ignoring me. We get away with a lot in this thread because they don't read it, which is both a blessing and a curse.

Palar
11.05.2013 , 09:10 PM | #2292
I'm pretty sure curses still just get blanked out: ****. Whoops, sorry, I mispelt Sith. And Aelix was using an acronym... "Still hoping it's true". Because it's been 10 months since the 'more details to come!' and you've said S.F.A, Bioware. Hello... is this thing on?

(I think they're too busy ignoring the people asking why they can't use Paypal for their impulse buy in-game Coin thing. I believe that's the technical term.)

Palar
11.05.2013 , 10:33 PM | #2293
Since I'm already cursing, may as well mention it : Tat, you upset the ****wits by not agreeing with their companion idea. Only non-"Princess Snowflakes" are allowed an opinion in that thread?

Tatile
11.06.2013 , 05:56 AM | #2294
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
Since I'm already cursing, may as well mention it : Tat, you upset the ****wits by not agreeing with their companion idea. Only non-"Princess Snowflakes" are allowed an opinion in that thread?
Companion idea? You mean the Zeltrons? I haven't checked yet.

Edit: Haha, player choice is apparently a bad thing. What the hell XD

Tatile
11.06.2013 , 11:44 AM | #2295
In which Tatile post a tatty rant about the Bechdel Test. Couple this with the newly inflated rumours (which I also rant about, I've been busy today) about Star Wars, Episode VII's possible casting, and it's vaguely SWTOR related.

Obviously, with the PC coming and going, this game passes both the Bechdel and Sexy Lamp Tests, but what about NPC only interactions? I'm of the mind it does, but I haven't played through any of the class stories in a while, and most of the conversations we see are with the PC. Would be interesting to see (I'm also of the mind that a lot of the dialogue in places may have been written first, and then later character details finalised, so General Garza may have flipped between being a man and a woman, a human or a zabrak, etc.)

fabiyun
11.06.2013 , 12:00 PM | #2296
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
In which Tatile post a tatty rant about the Bechdel Test. Couple this with the newly inflated rumours (which I also rant about, I've been busy today) about Star Wars, Episode VII's possible casting, and it's vaguely SWTOR related.

Obviously, with the PC coming and going, this game passes both the Bechdel and Sexy Lamp Tests, but what about NPC only interactions? I'm of the mind it does, but I haven't played through any of the class stories in a while, and most of the conversations we see are with the PC. Would be interesting to see (I'm also of the mind that a lot of the dialogue in places may have been written first, and then later character details finalised, so General Garza may have flipped between being a man and a woman, a human or a zabrak, etc.)
Most coversations a Female PC has with companions and NPC does pass the bechdel test, but I think it only passes it because the story has been written for Male PCs. When it comes to romance it is nearly impossible to get around the fact that your Female PC is a walking child factory.
So SWTOR passes the bechdel test, but really only because it's written for males, who don't talk to males or females about other males, because that would be an emasculation problem.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

Tatile
11.06.2013 , 12:22 PM | #2297
Fair point, Fabiyun. If we use Corso as our example, the entire Smuggler storyline would have been written, categorically, for a male Smuggler - the introduction of the idea of a female character came much later, after a lot of the initial dialogue and interactions were fleshed out.

This does explain why, while the majority of companions are male, it is only the female (biological entities, not artificial entities, like SCORPIO) that are 100% romance options.

You can have men talking to other (men) about men, but the context in which the Bechdel Test is usually applied (romance/sexual attraction), yes, SWTOR could not possibly have that. Vague homoerotic references would cause so ever-so fragile masculine straight guy* to fall and crumple into a confused, genderless mess (quick! Hide the bears!)

*and before anyone starts to come in and say they're a hyper-masculine straight guy who doesn't crumple a the sight of another man's gorgeous butt, this is the generalisation that games and other media companies work with when making content and subjects for cishet male audiences. Remember: Hollywood thinks you're racist, sexist and homophobic. Doesn't mean you are, it means they're marketing to a construction of you. Congratulations, you're being objectified by the media that worships you and vice-versa.

fabiyun
11.06.2013 , 12:46 PM | #2298
Fair point, Fabiyun. If we use Corso as our example, the entire Smuggler storyline would have been written, categorically, for a male Smuggler - the introduction of the idea of a female character came much later, after a lot of the initial dialogue and interactions were fleshed out.

This does explain why, while the majority of companions are male, it is only the female (biological entities, not artificial entities, like SCORPIO) that are 100% romance options.

You can have men talking to other (men) about men, but the context in which the Bechdel Test is usually applied (romance/sexual attraction), yes, SWTOR could not possibly have that. Vague homoerotic references would cause so ever-so fragile masculine straight guy* to fall and crumple into a confused, genderless mess (quick! Hide the bears!)

*and before anyone starts to come in and say they're a hyper-masculine straight guy who doesn't crumple a the sight of another man's gorgeous butt, this is the generalisation that games and other media companies work with when making content and subjects for cishet male audiences. Remember: Hollywood thinks you're racist, sexist and homophobic. Doesn't mean you are, it means they're marketing to a construction of you. Congratulations, you're being objectified by the media that worships you and vice-versa.
I wonder if the IA story had been written for a female PC and was then later changed to a male PC sometime during development. The scenes with Hunter and Kaliyo are at times really strange and don't go with my femAgent at all, but I would imagine would please a ManAgent and have thus been altered.

Tatile
11.06.2013 , 12:59 PM | #2299
I haven't played femAgent, but maleAgent seemed to work fairly well, as you noticed.

Of course, Act 3
Spoiler

I have Agent feels, ok?

fabiyun
11.06.2013 , 01:21 PM | #2300
I haven't played femAgent, but maleAgent seemed to work fairly well, as you noticed.

Of course, Act 3
Spoiler

I have Agent feels, ok?
Spoiler

SWTOR is very cinematic in its story telling and falls back on common archetypes. The IA compared to the other classes I've played has the most male NPCs. And they are more of a threat. The one female NPC of notice seems to be a girl's girlfriend and then there is the father figure. The BH has a lot of flirty Female NPC in HIStory. The SI has Female NPCs mostly as mother figures and an effeminate male Nemesis. The Consular has Female NPCs as mother figures. The JK has male mentors that he easily surpasses. The Scoundrel has lots anf lots of flirty NPCs and weak male NPCs. It seems like the stories are written for men, and the IA was changed to cater to men.