Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile
02.15.2013 , 04:46 AM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I won't comment on the whole conversational gist because I just got up but I believe the two answers to this are "Yes," and "Mostly for simplicity's sake."

*lengthy snip*

That's not to say I wouldn't love to see that kind of content. Heck to the yeah, I would. I'd LOVE it. But a lot just doesn't go into games that would otherwise be great additions because people can't agree in time, or because time really DOES run out, or because there's no way to attain a particular look or physics functionality.
Thank you for the input, Kioma I was approaching the subject largely hypothetically, so I did completely forget the impracticalities of it all.

And yes, gender identity is terribly nuanced and very confusing for everyone involved (and not involved), especially when you think of gender presentation being different from the individual's identity and then physical sex. It is a bit of a far fetched idea to have in games and though I was using Star Wars examples, I'm under no illusions as to us seeing trans* companions or continued-NPCs in this game.

Still, you'd think at least AI would be a future possibility in SWTOR Even if their gender has to be defined as definitely man or woman.

Of course if you want to think that Bioware's mods know the difference between sex and gender, the title of this thread means that trans* individuals could be a hypothetical possibility in this game...

Kioma
02.15.2013 , 05:06 AM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
... and though I was using Star Wars examples, I'm under no illusions as to us seeing trans* companions or continued-NPCs in this game.
Which is a little sad, really. Oh well.

Still, you'd think at least AI would be a future possibility in SWTOR Even if their gender has to be defined as definitely man or woman.
Well, given that both EDI (in Mass Effect) and Holiday (in SWTOR) are self-aware AIs with emotive capacity I can't really see why they wouldn't, at some point, present a romanceable AI companion. Or at least a flirtable AI NPC.

Of course if you want to think that Bioware's mods know the difference between sex and gender, the title of this thread means that trans* individuals could be a hypothetical possibility in this game...
See, I don't see a problem with this. Remove male/female flags for clothing, perhaps add in a pitch shifter to adjust the pitch of the existing voices up or down, maybe (if you REALLY want to cover all bases) change from four body types to a height-weight-muscle slider system and you've got a HECK of a lot more flexibility in character creation. It certainly isn't the same as a character selection system in which you can choose your gender identity from a huge list but it'd give people more flexibility than the binary options.

Having said that I play an intersex Sith Inquisitor and I just selected Female for her because that's what she looks the most like.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tatile
02.15.2013 , 05:15 AM | #173
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
See, I don't see a problem with this. Remove male/female flags for clothing, perhaps add in a pitch shifter to adjust the pitch of the existing voices up or down, maybe (if you REALLY want to cover all bases) change from four body types to a height-weight-muscle slider system and you've got a HECK of a lot more flexibility in character creation. It certainly isn't the same as a character selection system in which you can choose your gender identity from a huge list but it'd give people more flexibility than the binary options.
Choosing your gender identity from a huge list sounds very daunting - the idea of having pitch sliders and body sliders for this actually sounds like the more welcoming of the two options: start with bio-male or bio-female frames and work from there. But this is getting wildly off-topic.

I think my Agent would probably form a close platonic, if not romantic, relationship with a (male-identified) AI. I'd imagine the two could have quite a few things in common, given what happened in the Agent storyline.

markcymru
02.15.2013 , 08:34 PM | #174
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
I just love your obsession with the ship cat. I wish we'd get some.
This tendency towards exaggeration is very unbecoming, Lent ! ! !

Just because someone is a little persistent !
“Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.” — Margaret Atwood

JediMB
02.15.2013 , 09:29 PM | #175
My ship cat would go by the name Jones.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Zandilar
02.15.2013 , 10:54 PM | #176
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
My ship cat would go by the name Jones.
Bustopher Jones is not skin and bones--
In fact, he's remarkably fat.
He doesn't haunt pubs—he has eight or nine clubs,
For he's the St. James's Street Cat!
He's the Cat we all greet as he walks down the street
In his coat of fastidious black:
No commonplace mousers have such well-cut trousers
Or such an impeccable back.
In the whole of St. James's the smartest of names is
The name of this Brummell of Cats;
And we're all of us proud to be nodded or bowed to
By Bustopher Jones in white spats!

(Sorry, I just had to... and I'm not that great at filking things up, so you'll have to put up with the original lyrics.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Kioma
02.15.2013 , 11:52 PM | #177
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Bustopher Jones is not skin and bones--
In fact, he's remarkably fat.
He doesn't haunt pubs—he has eight or nine clubs,
For he's the St. James's Street Cat!
He's the Cat we all greet as he walks down the street
In his coat of fastidious black:
No commonplace mousers have such well-cut trousers
Or such an impeccable back.
In the whole of St. James's the smartest of names is
The name of this Brummell of Cats;
And we're all of us proud to be nodded or bowed to
By Bustopher Jones in white spats!

(Sorry, I just had to... and I'm not that great at filking things up, so you'll have to put up with the original lyrics.)
Ah, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. I miss that book. Never saw Cats, unfortunately.

Tatile
02.17.2013 , 09:25 AM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
As for those who are repulsed by this option you could just make an option in setting to ignore same sex flirt options.
Just noticed this. There is already an option to ignore [Flirt] options - putting in a specific method to remove same-gender [Flirt]s from the game is considered discrimination and Bioware will not tolerate such suggestions on their boards and will not entertain putting such a thing in their game.

If you don't want to kiss a someone, it's pretty simple: don't.

Raynezazki
02.17.2013 , 10:09 AM | #179
I would like those flirt, flirt or insult conversations to **** though. Just had a convo with Mako where my easy goiing BH could either flirt, flirt or insult her. (He chose to insult because Mako's on his nope nope nope list but letting her down easily would've been far more in character) Those conversations need to go. A neutral rejection is all that's needed not the complete elimination of flirts.

Kioma
02.17.2013 , 10:55 AM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by Raynezazki View Post
I would like those flirt, flirt or insult conversations to **** though. Just had a convo with Mako where my easy goiing BH could either flirt, flirt or insult her. (He chose to insult because Mako's on his nope nope nope list but letting her down easily would've been far more in character) Those conversations need to go. A neutral rejection is all that's needed not the complete elimination of flirts.
There absolutely does need to be some kind of balancing of the dialogue options. There are way too many in which you can only be flirty or mean. Some neutral, charmingly clueless or even downright emotionless responses would be good.