Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthAeonis
06.13.2013 , 02:42 PM | #1521
I had been away from here for awhile due to some of the extremes in opinions regarding this topic. seems they still persist. its my belief that the reason sgrs will be expansion based (or massive update based) is because they wont be included into current companions. its just not gonna happen imo. the only way to do that would be turn off the gender flag but I don't think bioware would do something that half-a**ed. when they implement it it would be with new companions when they bring em in. aside from more npcs. true they kinda pulled back with makeb but with all the backlash they were takin they had to take it easy. may not be wat u wanna hear but it had to be done. its their fault for not implementing it at launch (even tho atleast every class has a sgr possible candidate i.e mako, jaesa, kaliyo, andronikus etc). by next year im sure we'll have the full sgrs we all want.
"Evil is an illusion, there is only victory."

chuixupu
06.20.2013 , 02:16 AM | #1522
Gamasutra posted a video of David Gaider's talk on sex and sexuality in video games http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...y_in_games.php
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Tatile
06.20.2013 , 04:30 AM | #1523
http://racebending.tumblr.com/post/5...ng-never-to-be

Yes, this is about racial representation in games and no, it doesn't mention SWTOR, but it does mention two Bioware games (Mass Effect and Dragon Age) and, even though representations of PoC, LGBT+ peoples and women each have their own problems to overcome and cannot be adequately compared to each other, the principle is that representation is an important factor to people and it should be regarded as important by games developers.

It would be interesting to see the racial diversity (within humans) that this game has, but calculating the numbers is an undertaking currently beyond me.

DarkTrooperV
06.20.2013 , 10:10 AM | #1524
Hey all.
Been lurking waiting to see what else EAWare has in store for us. But it seems that things are really starting to quiet down even in this thread. Do you think that the hope of getting true SGRA's is finally becoming less and less of a possibility? Was Makeb our one shot wonder and that will be it? Thoughts?
The Joker: They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve.

stuffystuffs
06.20.2013 , 10:15 AM | #1525
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTrooperV View Post
Hey all.
Been lurking waiting to see what else EAWare has in store for us. But it seems that things are really starting to quiet down even in this thread. Do you think that the hope of getting true SGRA's is finally becoming less and less of a possibility? Was Makeb our one shot wonder and that will be it? Thoughts?
I lost hope of ever seeing companion SGRAs (it seems clear to me that won't be happening).

But I'm sure we'll see something similar to the "SGRs" in Makeb in the next mini-expansion to be released next year....yippee.
Node guarder

SithKoriandr
06.20.2013 , 03:02 PM | #1526
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Gamasutra posted a video of David Gaider's talk on sex and sexuality in video games http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...y_in_games.php
Interesting watch. Like how he quoted some of the same numbers I've said and gotten bashed for, and said some of the same things I've said.

Varied responses? Check! We see it all the time on the forums, "I'm this and I hate seeing this." "Well, I'm that too and love seeing it!" That is always going to be a no win situation. TOR forums show it even more. No high heels in combat? Check! WAY more fully covered armors versus scantily clad armor choices? CHECK! Yet you'll still see posts focused on the 6 revealing outfits (10-12 if you count color/slight change variations).

No form of entertainment before video games was the 'be all that' to every social group. Video games aren't going to be any different.

Though watching the video it made me realize how sad it is to see artist take Samus' armor from, hides her gender, to hugs every curve of her body, and it's not just male artists doing it. But not surprised as it happens to every character (regardless of gender) by someone at some point.

And of the list of games of positive females (they showed 6) only one seemed to be truly a hit, even when they were generally critically acclaimed titles (at least at start). Can't speak for their hype though, as I only recall two of the titles they mentioned and neither of their playstyles appealed to me.

Maybe in the end, the market is just to fickle?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Zandilar
06.21.2013 , 06:14 PM | #1527
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
And of the list of games of positive females (they showed 6) only one seemed to be truly a hit, even when they were generally critically acclaimed titles (at least at start). Can't speak for their hype though, as I only recall two of the titles they mentioned and neither of their playstyles appealed to me.

Maybe in the end, the market is just to fickle?
I actually think the problem is that publishers are risk averse, developers are timid, and the existing market is too inured in (and in some cases feels too entitled to) the status quo. (By market, I'm referring to the 20-30 something straight white male which is usually the demographic.)

But none of that means that brave developers and publishers shouldn't keep trying to be more inviting/inclusive to people who are outside that narrow demographic.

As for the female protagonists in games - I'm cynical that that will change any time soon. Just look at Hollywood, they've got the same problem with (a lack of) female protagonists.

(Lara Croft has her own cult following, and they really didn't have to do too much in the way of promoting the game because the title Tomb Raider, and its storied history, did it all for them - it had an established audience that was always going to buy it. The other games, I know next to nothing about. See, to promote a game you actually have to you know... promote it.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

SithKoriandr
06.22.2013 , 07:03 AM | #1528
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
I actually think the problem is that publishers are risk averse, developers are timid, and the existing market is too inured in (and in some cases feels too entitled to) the status quo. (By market, I'm referring to the 20-30 something straight white male which is usually the demographic.)

But none of that means that brave developers and publishers shouldn't keep trying to be more inviting/inclusive to people who are outside that narrow demographic.

As for the female protagonists in games - I'm cynical that that will change any time soon. Just look at Hollywood, they've got the same problem with (a lack of) female protagonists.

(Lara Croft has her own cult following, and they really didn't have to do too much in the way of promoting the game because the title Tomb Raider, and its storied history, did it all for them - it had an established audience that was always going to buy it. The other games, I know next to nothing about. See, to promote a game you actually have to you know... promote it.)
I should correct myself a bit, on their list of positive females, it was really a list of "look cover art that doesn't show off any or not really much skin"

As for the Hollywood comment, I'm curious, as I don't really watch anything made outside of Hollywood, is it a Hollywood thing? How do other countries fair in this area in their film making?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

wainot-keel
06.23.2013 , 11:13 AM | #1529
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTrooperV View Post
Hey all.
Like stuffy, I don't have hopes anymore for SGRs with our current companions. Not only that, I think anything companion related it's been scrapped (if there was anything planned that is). At most, we may get a cool awesome new companion through the cartel market. Hell, seeing that Makeb's story (according the loading screen) was Chapter 4 I kinda feel naive hoping for a true class story expansion in the future

thegrognard
06.24.2013 , 07:34 AM | #1530
Hi all, I've been lurking whilst unsubbed and found I could only post whilst subing and tried out the F2P features, but it just teased too much.

Anyway, back on the topic I believe they will do it as this is stuff that was meant to be done pre-release however it seems as they don't want a mere copy of the same wording, but available to the other gender but a bit more substance to it, though I can't say for certain. I am glad that they have admitted that they're working on it and everything, however it is disheartening when you see posts where they stated somewhat "this year" and find it was dated back in september

Looks like we'll have to remain and be patient. Who knows, it might be snuck in under a update or something.