Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kaenna
06.08.2013 , 04:51 PM | #1511
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
And I don't see why any updates to companions should be expansion based content and not just "oh in patch 2.5 we've added SGR to the classes companions" it's what subs pay for.
Okay, I like your view here much better!
"When you risk pain or death for another, there is no truer test of
your beliefs and strength."
- Brianna

JetAten
06.10.2013 , 09:08 AM | #1512
I really hope this happens soon. Its one of the reasons I got this game. There are so few options out there for gay gamers who like roleplaying games. Its hard when you play games like this and your only option Is to go down a specific path. Think how you'd feel if you were straight and every game forced you to be gay or not experience a lot of content. It gets frustrating after a while.

I have a lot of gripes about EA but one thing I can applaud them on is they have always supported gay players. The Sims was ground-breaking for its time. They allowed fully realized same sex relationship way ahead of anyone else. And they didn't buckle under pressure when all the family rights groups went after them for putting same sex relationships in Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

SithKoriandr
06.10.2013 , 04:31 PM | #1513
Quote: Originally Posted by JetAten View Post
I really hope this happens soon. Its one of the reasons I got this game. There are so few options out there for gay gamers who like roleplaying games. Its hard when you play games like this and your only option Is to go down a specific path. Think how you'd feel if you were straight and every game forced you to be gay or not experience a lot of content. It gets frustrating after a while.

I have a lot of gripes about EA but one thing I can applaud them on is they have always supported gay players. The Sims was ground-breaking for its time. They allowed fully realized same sex relationship way ahead of anyone else. And they didn't buckle under pressure when all the family rights groups went after them for putting same sex relationships in Mass Effect and Dragon Age.
I can think of one other MMO that has relationships in it, and it's not even with NPCs, but other players, so I have to ask, when it comes to MMOs, it's not like there's options in the first place for relationships with NPCs.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

JetAten
06.11.2013 , 06:27 AM | #1514
I can think of one other MMO that has relationships in it, and it's not even with NPCs, but other players, so I have to ask, when it comes to MMOs, it's not like there's options in the first place for relationships with NPCs.
This is the only MMO that combines a traditional roleplaying game. So I compare it to those.

SithKoriandr
06.11.2013 , 07:11 AM | #1515
Quote: Originally Posted by JetAten View Post
This is the only MMO that combines a traditional roleplaying game. So I compare it to those.
Then that's the second mistake. The first was still picking up TOR and thinking it would be DA or TOR. And a single path...all the classes end up at the same spot as every other matching class, with very little if any variance.

I got more different endings from Tactics Ogre than I get in TOR :/
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Kioma
06.11.2013 , 08:12 AM | #1516
I don't think JetAten has made any 'mistakes', either in picking up the game with expectations or comparing it to other, non-MMO games. Bioware: Austin isn't the same company that made the games being compared to TOR but they have very much capitalised on the good standing of the Bioware name; all of the advertising carries the Bioware label and the EA label (at the bottom of this very page, for example) with no differentiation made between the Austin and Edmonton branches. I think that picking up TOR and expecting it to have the same rough level of quality in certain areas as previous titles is entirely reasonable. If nothing else the quality assurance people at EA should have made certain it was the same quality before allowing it to be launched, instead of both BW:A and EA rushing it through to release so obviously.

It's not the same quality. It is a good game but it's left a lot of long-standing Bioware (and even EA) fans cold. And unfortunately we've been saying that we hope it gets implemented 'soon' since launch. A year and a half later not even 'writer soon' covers it.

This whole matter has been poorly managed; they still won't confirm what's going on with it. One 50+ NPC flirt opportunity per faction (female for Republic, male for Empire) doesn't make up for over a year of almost total silence. Tell us it's coming or tell us it's not, that's what I say. I'd rather know than not.

No, they don't have any requirement to put it in. No, they don't have any requirement to tell us anything. But it's still darn shoddy customer service.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

SithKoriandr
06.11.2013 , 04:33 PM | #1517
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I don't think JetAten has made any 'mistakes', either in picking up the game with expectations or comparing it to other, non-MMO games. Bioware: Austin isn't the same company that made the games being compared to TOR but they have very much capitalised on the good standing of the Bioware name; all of the advertising carries the Bioware label and the EA label (at the bottom of this very page, for example) with no differentiation made between the Austin and Edmonton branches. I think that picking up TOR and expecting it to have the same rough level of quality in certain areas as previous titles is entirely reasonable. If nothing else the quality assurance people at EA should have made certain it was the same quality before allowing it to be launched, instead of both BW:A and EA rushing it through to release so obviously.

It's not the same quality. It is a good game but it's left a lot of long-standing Bioware (and even EA) fans cold. And unfortunately we've been saying that we hope it gets implemented 'soon' since launch. A year and a half later not even 'writer soon' covers it.

This whole matter has been poorly managed; they still won't confirm what's going on with it. One 50+ NPC flirt opportunity per faction (female for Republic, male for Empire) doesn't make up for over a year of almost total silence. Tell us it's coming or tell us it's not, that's what I say. I'd rather know than not.

No, they don't have any requirement to put it in. No, they don't have any requirement to tell us anything. But it's still darn shoddy customer service.
So, if Blue Hole Studios made a new MMO that used tab targeting, instead of the dynamic targeting TERA uses, and one buys the new game because of TERA, one should point to TERA and tell Blue Hole Studios, "You made this, this way, so all your games should be this way"?

That just doesn't make sense to me.

Final Fantasy the MMO feels nothing like Final Fantasy the console game. Should one really be expecting the MMO to be just like the console games? I wouldn't think so.

That's why I think it was a mistake to think TOR would be anything like a single player RPG game. Wasn't trying to be mean. I don't pick up TOR then go and pick up Star Wars: The Dance Game, and think because they're both Star Wars they're the same.

But yes, things like that would be nice to know, though the answer is very likely "On back burner" IE: We want and/or are considering doing it, but it'll be slow as all get out, because it won't be worth the time and investment to hurry it out, because it won't have a real factor on our player base.

theStirge
06.12.2013 , 12:56 AM | #1518
So, if Blue Hole Studios made a new MMO that used tab targeting, instead of the dynamic targeting TERA uses, and one buys the new game because of TERA, one should point to TERA and tell Blue Hole Studios, "You made this, this way, so all your games should be this way"?
If Blue Hole Studios had made several games that had the dynamic targeting that TERA uses, and that was their big schtick that they were famous for, and then they made a new game that banked on being the same kind of experience you've come to expect from Blue Hole Studios, and then it was not that experience, then yes, you'd have the right to feel a bit let down.

Final Fantasy the MMO feels nothing like Final Fantasy the console game. Should one really be expecting the MMO to be just like the console games? I wouldn't think so.
Not really the best example to use, since every Final Fantasy game(especially since the jump from 6 to 7) has had fundamental gameplay changes, with pretty much just the major thematic elements to tie them together as Final Fantasy. Anyone who expects any Final Fantasy game to be just like any other Final Fantasy game has probably only ever played one Final Fantasy game, but if they expect any given FF to have chocobos, Cure spells, Fire spells, and Cid(just as examples), they're probably not going to be disappointed.

That's why I think it was a mistake to think TOR would be anything like a single player RPG game. Wasn't trying to be mean. I don't pick up TOR then go and pick up Star Wars: The Dance Game, and think because they're both Star Wars they're the same.
Except of course that TOR was pretty much advertised as KOTOR but an MMO. And really, it basically is KOTOR, but an MMO. If you came for a KOTOR-style game, you can absolutely play it as a single-player KOTOR-style game. There'll be a few missions you'll have to skip until you over-level them sufficiently, and the later flashpoints and all the operations are beyond reach, but they're mostly fairly light on story anyway.

If they told me that Star Wars: The Dance Game was the full Bioware story experience, expressed through a dancing game, then yeah, I'm going to go pick up SWTDG because a) that would be awesome and b) what I want from a Bioware game is the full story experience, and honestly as far as gameplay goes you can just call me Honey Badger.

(As a side note, you know the "Action" option in Mass Effect 3 where you don't get to pick your dialogue and just play through all the shooty bits? I would pay good money to have the opposite, where I'm in control of all the exploration and dialogue, and then when it's time for combat the game just takes over and shows me an action movie. That would be the best game ever.)
The n'Sappho Legacy, The Harbinger
Zel'eena, 55 Combat Sentinel
Eleeta, 55 Medic Operative; Fer'eerra, 55 Lightning Sorcerer
All Chiss, all the time, all day, forever.

SithKoriandr
06.12.2013 , 02:45 PM | #1519
Quote: Originally Posted by theStirge View Post
If Blue Hole Studios had made several games that had the dynamic targeting that TERA uses, and that was their big schtick that they were famous for, and then they made a new game that banked on being the same kind of experience you've come to expect from Blue Hole Studios, and then it was not that experience, then yes, you'd have the right to feel a bit let down.
So, the only thing people banked on with BW games before, was SGR content? o.O Seriously, doubt that's what people banked on (as a majority case, I'm sure there's people in this thread who totally banked on that, and quite possibly the only reason they played the game).

Quote:
Not really the best example to use, since every Final Fantasy game(especially since the jump from 6 to 7) has had fundamental gameplay changes, with pretty much just the major thematic elements to tie them together as Final Fantasy. Anyone who expects any Final Fantasy game to be just like any other Final Fantasy game has probably only ever played one Final Fantasy game, but if they expect any given FF to have chocobos, Cure spells, Fire spells, and Cid(just as examples), they're probably not going to be disappointed.
So, TOR was their jump. And look, want chat options, you still have them in TOR just like in all the other BW games, and just like the other games, it's not infinite amount of possibilities, and not always a list of choices with a choice you want to take.

Quote:
Except of course that TOR was pretty much advertised as KOTOR but an MMO. And really, it basically is KOTOR, but an MMO. If you came for a KOTOR-style game, you can absolutely play it as a single-player KOTOR-style game. There'll be a few missions you'll have to skip until you over-level them sufficiently, and the later flashpoints and all the operations are beyond reach, but they're mostly fairly light on story anyway.

If they told me that Star Wars: The Dance Game was the full Bioware story experience, expressed through a dancing game, then yeah, I'm going to go pick up SWTDG because a) that would be awesome and b) what I want from a Bioware game is the full story experience, and honestly as far as gameplay goes you can just call me Honey Badger.

(As a side note, you know the "Action" option in Mass Effect 3 where you don't get to pick your dialogue and just play through all the shooty bits? I would pay good money to have the opposite, where I'm in control of all the exploration and dialogue, and then when it's time for combat the game just takes over and shows me an action movie. That would be the best game ever.)
I never felt TOR was advertised as KOTOR the MMO! And I was there in the beginning. But much like KOTOR, you have a character (your class) who is limited in what they do with given choices decided upon by the developers. They just didn't give us the choice we may want.

AquaticAncestral
06.12.2013 , 05:00 PM | #1520
It is my belief that same gender romance should be allowed; and we should even look into gender-non conforming toons where we can't really tell if it's male/female.