Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zandilar
06.02.2013 , 06:45 AM | #1471
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
That's interesting (and I find it odd) considering that other BW games with SGR content have lots of either m/m or f/f fan fic devoted to various pairings (mainly PC plus romanceable companion).

It's as if the lack of 'in game validation' for a pairing (FemWarrior/Jaesa for example) deters people from writing fan fic for them.

I know I used to look for pretty much any SWTOR fanfic with an f/f pairing (any PC/companion) and didn't really find anything...gave up.
I am currently on holidays from Uni, and I am looking for a writing project to occupy some of my time... LS!SW/LS!Jaesa is tempting. (I mean, when has slash adhered to canon slavishly? Isn't that kind of the whole point of slash? Pretty silly to not write it just because there's no evidence for it in game.)

My SW is a Chiss, and very LS... As LS as she could get. I hope people don't mind that. It might not get posted on these forums, though. (If it gets written, I make no promises by this statement!)

Maybe I'll even be able to eek out some time to actually play and get my Smuggler high enough level to see the mini-romance... But that will depend on how badly Neverwinter has me "addicted", and exactly how annoyed I get with the compulsory transfers us APAC players are about to endure (I really hope they don't make us buy additional slots - I have characters on the Harbinger that I didn't transfer in the first place, and 13 characters in Dalborra).
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Tatile
06.02.2013 , 07:11 AM | #1472
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
My SW is a Chiss, and very LS... As LS as she could get. I hope people don't mind that. It might not get posted on these forums, though. (If it gets written, I make no promises by this statement!)
Alignment has nothing to do with readership, but quality of character does. Besides, Light Side Sith or Sith who are not "all death, all the time" tend to be inherently more complex (particularly when pressed about their continued association with the Empire or the tenets of the Sith Order), which, when done well, makes them more interesting.

Remember the code:
Peaces is a lie,
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength,
Through strength, I gain power
Through power, I gain victory,
In victory, my chains are broken,
The Force shall free me.

And I will always suggest the Short Fiction Weekly Challenge thread if you need help getting started

And to the idea that SGR-fan-fiction isn't on the forums because it's not in-game - I still think that it's more to do with the belief that it wouldn't be allowed on the forum because there's none of it in-game, rather than people not writing it because it's not a canon ship.

Euphrosyne
06.02.2013 , 07:08 PM | #1473
My SW is a Chiss, and very LS... As LS as she could get. I hope people don't mind that.
I certainly wouldn't, but
Spoiler
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"

stuffystuffs
06.02.2013 , 08:51 PM | #1474
My SW is a Chiss, and very LS... As LS as she could get. I hope people don't mind that. It might not get posted on these forums, though. (If it gets written, I make no promises by this statement!).
My fave SW is LS as well so I wouldn't mind XD

Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
Spoiler
I will have to check that out...thanks for posting it.

Zandilar
06.03.2013 , 05:30 PM | #1475
Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
Spoiler
I just finished reading your story, and once I got into the style - it's awesome. I'm looking forward to reading the next chapter!

Now I'm accustomed to it, I do love the intellectual/memoir style narrative we're getting from Jaesa. I'm very much looking forward to the turning point (when she meets the unnamed Sith, and what ultimately happens between the Sith and Noman Karr)!

If I do write mine, it will be very different. I got put off the "writing the novel of the game" idea a long time ago, and I tend to do side adventures/quests and/or character-ishly driven fill-in-the-blanks stories when I write Fanfiction these days. It will most likely be third person limited (or semi-omniscient), as that's my favoured style. But the big thing is the IF for me - one of the other things I learned from "writing the novel of the game" is not to make promises I am unsure I'll be able to keep. (This is mostly due to my current "addiction" to Neverwinter, and that I want to do some of my own original writing over my mid-year break.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

KjellHiep
06.04.2013 , 05:06 AM | #1476
Has nobody ever asked Bioware/EA if they're willing to change all of the companions & encounters for money? As in, buy the change from the cartel market?

Those who have moral or other objections to such encounters/relationships could simply avoid them by not buying the pack & those who do want them can.

The money earned could be spent on the voice actors, in those cases that the text is gender specific & has to be changed.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd be willing to pay for it (if they implement something like this before 1 september) .

SithKoriandr
06.04.2013 , 06:59 AM | #1477
Quote: Originally Posted by KjellHiep View Post
Has nobody ever asked Bioware/EA if they're willing to change all of the companions & encounters for money? As in, buy the change from the cartel market?

Those who have moral or other objections to such encounters/relationships could simply avoid them by not buying the pack & those who do want them can.

The money earned could be spent on the voice actors, in those cases that the text is gender specific & has to be changed.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd be willing to pay for it (if they implement something like this before 1 september) .
The problem with this thought, is you then get the uptight, OMGWTF, "Now I have to Pay2Gay" upset.

When basically any sort of content like this, more stories, seem to be pay2obtain now, whether a sub or not.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Bytemite
06.04.2013 , 07:05 AM | #1478
It's pretty much the only way it could happen - unfortunately there are sociological issues and unfortunate implications raised by the "pay to gay" option.

I suppose it depends on how much the players want that feature and if they are willing to overlook feeling like they are being treated unfairly.

If they could package that feature in another feature offered for free that would appeal to all players and help them retain customers, that might also be viable. But I think this might be unlikely due to the cartel market and recent updates.

KjellHiep
06.04.2013 , 08:20 AM | #1479
Quote: Originally Posted by Bytemite View Post
It's pretty much the only way it could happen - unfortunately there are sociological issues and unfortunate implications raised by the "pay to gay" option.

I suppose it depends on how much the players want that feature and if they are willing to overlook feeling like they are being treated unfairly.

If they could package that feature in another feature offered for free that would appeal to all players and help them retain customers, that might also be viable. But I think this might be unlikely due to the cartel market and recent updates.
Yes, it'd be pay2gay essentially, mostly because I doubt they've added the voices to the original game (I know, it's not bioware's smartest move) & hiring the voice actors again, plus adjusting the game files in such a way that it'd actually be usable in game will probably cost quite a bit of money. So if bioware wants to be paid for it, then I'll relent on that part & pay for it.

Another option would be to add a menu option at the next update where you can choose straight, bisexual or gay/lesbian. Those who are against anything but straight relationships would set the option to straight, those who dislike straight relationships would set it to gay/lesbian & those who like some diversity would set it to bisexual. Bisexual would also cause a roll call (off screen, the player wouldn't notice it & only see the result) whenever an encounter takes place to decide if it'd be a straight or gay/lesbian encounter, assuming that programming something like this wouldn't be too difficult.
Still, since bioware/EA would have to adjust the game & that'd once again cost money, I doubt they'd do it.

Option nr. 3 would be to simply boycott the game. (the following applies to me, but I think they apply to a lot of other players as well) My female characters simply do not have any decent romanceable options available to them (not for me anyway) & my 1 male character does not have the correct personality. Simply put, the entire idea of romancing, even though the concept is good, simply doesn't exist in this game for me. Of course, a boycott would only work if
A. the people who want this are subscribers
B. If they're willing to join

I have to admit, option nr. 3 could be seen as a bit childish, but if one compares it to more mundane matters like having a subscription to a magazine that doesn't feature the articles you want (besides the ones you can find a lot cheaper in other magazines), people would actually tell you you're mad when you stay subscribed to said magazine.

Still, option nr. 3 is the option I myself like the least and I'm actually hoping that bioware will spend some money on the voice actors. Like I already said in my previous post, I'd be willing to pay for it (assuming the price they ask isn't too high).

The sad thing is that this is an online game. Bioware's previous games could be edited to modify it in such a way that the games suited the wants & needs of the players. If I wanted to romance another character in Baldur's gate 2 Shadows of Amn, Dragon Age, KoToR (I & II) or Mass Effect, I'd simply look on the net for an applicable mod & modify my game. This option is not available in an MMO. Bioware & EA SHOULD have given this some thought, but sadly, they didn't. (although as far as EA is concerned, I'm not really surprised. I haven't had much positive to say about them since they took over Origin in the '90s).

SithKoriandr
06.04.2013 , 04:40 PM | #1480
Quote: Originally Posted by KjellHiep View Post
Spoiler
Boycotting a game because it lacks a feature you want, is not childish. It's how you as a customer say "I want this or not at all" and it's then how BW/EA says "Okay here it is!" or "Sorry, tough luck."

The being childish part actually comes from those who think that because what they want isn't in the product, that they're targeted against or left out. No matter what product is put out, it won't target everyone.

For TOR that means they really didn't care to target the LGBT community and they didn't have to. Those who bought the game thinking they did and then post as if BW should or else it's anti LGBT, are the ones being the childish ones.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry