Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Bytemite's Avatar


Bytemite
05.23.2013 , 01:54 PM | #1391
It's a good point about whether the romances are separate from the companion class story conversation progressions. I had assumed they weren't, and came up with this replay option as a stepping stone to putting in SGR for players and existing companions.

But if those romance quests can exist after the other quests are completed, that might not be an issue. I suspect that they aren't though, because I suspect all companion quests are considered a quest chain, with some flagged as available or not depending on the gender of your player character, what level you are, where you are in the class story, and what affection you have. Meaning that in order to finish that companion's story, you would have to have skipped over the relevant companion romance quests in the process because they weren't available to you.

It's like a system of checks, have you done this quest yet? Okay, then you can do this one, but oh wait, you're not the right gender for that quest, but the next quest after that is available.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
05.23.2013 , 02:02 PM | #1392
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
But it's typical MMO player behavior. Look at this thread. "I only wish to play SGR content, don't update it and add it or I'm leaving"

It's the same attitude, just a different area of the game.
No, sorry. I don't know a single person who's pro-SGRA who's ever said they ONLY want to play SGR content. Everyone I've spoken to on the matter wants to play SGR romance content (many, like myself, also want to play OGRA content) and also, you know, the rest of the game. It's not the same attitude at all. And in any case that's not even the point I was making. I'll repeat myself.

What I was saying was that it's selfish to threaten to leave the game because someone else is getting content updates in a form of content you don't play. Here, I'll even give you an example.

I don't play PvP at all. I accidentally ran into an enemy territory today and backpedalled well before the game could PvP flag me. I have no interest in it at all. I find no fun in it, I don't bother doing it, I avoid it whenever I can. I absolutely refuse to play games that enforce PvP because I won't be pushed into it; I don't even play competitive RTS games like Starcraft 2, I'll only play cooperative games or the single-player campaign. I truly can't express the depth of my disinterest in PvP. Heck, I don't even like competing for crafting resources and quest mobs.

But I don't go into PvP threads demanding that no time or resources be spent on developing it. I don't call it insignificant; I don't even consider it insignificant because lots of people do indeed enjoy it. I don't insult people who do it. I don't think less of PvPers. I certainly wouldn't block the development of PvP in the game with the single exception that I would indeed leave in a heartbeat if they enforced PvP. But even then I wouldn't try and take anyone with me when I left; I'd do so quietly and without fuss.

Why? Because I'm not so small-minded and petty that I think the whole game needs to be catered to my tastes alone. Do I want SGRAs in the game? Yes I do. Do I think that they should retool the original content? Yes I do. Does that mean I ONLY want to play SGRA content? No, it does not. Honestly I'd be happy if they did more work on PvP because it'd make the PvPers happier (presumably). I have no problem with them getting what they want. That's totally cool with me. It's content I'll never ever see and still I'm in favour of them working on and improving it.

So no, sorry, we'll have to disagree. There's a massive difference between saying 'I want this in because that's where my interests lie' and 'If those people get what they want then I'm leaving.' The latter is tremendously selfish and to boil all MMO players down to the same motivations is a gross oversimplification.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Bytemite's Avatar


Bytemite
05.23.2013 , 02:08 PM | #1393
Quote:
Honestly I'd be happy if they did more work on PvP because it'd make the PvPers happier (presumably).
Heh. I like the "presumably" there. Nice touch.

I also avoid PvP myself, as well as the PvP threads because of the arguments that usually go on in those, but yeah, I understand why it's included and why people like it and why they think it's important.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
05.23.2013 , 02:36 PM | #1394
Quote: Originally Posted by Bytemite View Post
Heh. I like the "presumably" there. Nice touch.

I also avoid PvP myself, as well as the PvP threads because of the arguments that usually go on in those, but yeah, I understand why it's included and why people like it and why they think it's important.
Yeah, the arguments are the reason that 'presumably' is there. Still, there's people who will never be satisfied in every group (including the pro-SGRA crowd). I can't really speak about them because I don't think they're representative of any majority. Most tend to be quite reasonable people.

Or maybe I just meet the few reasonable ones by some freakish cosmic chance.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Seireeni's Avatar


Seireeni
05.23.2013 , 02:37 PM | #1395
I'm pretty sure people who want SGR don't only want that. Actually, if I was asked if I preferred to get a SRG companion or 2 new warzones, I'd have to think about it...and after that, ask what kind of warzones.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
05.23.2013 , 02:39 PM | #1396
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
I'm pretty sure people who want SGR don't only want that. Actually, if I was asked if I preferred to get a SRG companion or 2 new warzones, I'd have to think about it...and after that, ask what kind of warzones.
Yeah, see, I'd go the SGRA companion hands down, but that doesn't mean I don't want to play the rest of the game (PvP excluded). And let's face it, one of the great things about the MMO game model is that there's no real need to choose; we can have PvP, PvE, RP-friendly areas, companions, OGRA/SGRAs, guilds, space combat...
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

zzoorrzz's Avatar


zzoorrzz
05.23.2013 , 02:46 PM | #1397
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
No, sorry. I don't know a single person who's pro-SGRA who's ever said they ONLY want to play SGR content. Everyone I've spoken to on the matter wants to play SGR romance content (many, like myself, also want to play OGRA content) and also, you know, the rest of the game. It's not the same attitude at all. And in any case that's not even the point I was making. I'll repeat myself.

What I was saying was that it's selfish to threaten to leave the game because someone else is getting content updates in a form of content you don't play. Here, I'll even give you an example.

I don't play PvP at all. I accidentally ran into an enemy territory today and backpedalled well before the game could PvP flag me. I have no interest in it at all. I find no fun in it, I don't bother doing it, I avoid it whenever I can. I absolutely refuse to play games that enforce PvP because I won't be pushed into it; I don't even play competitive RTS games like Starcraft 2, I'll only play cooperative games or the single-player campaign. I truly can't express the depth of my disinterest in PvP. Heck, I don't even like competing for crafting resources and quest mobs.

But I don't go into PvP threads demanding that no time or resources be spent on developing it. I don't call it insignificant; I don't even consider it insignificant because lots of people do indeed enjoy it. I don't insult people who do it. I don't think less of PvPers. I certainly wouldn't block the development of PvP in the game with the single exception that I would indeed leave in a heartbeat if they enforced PvP. But even then I wouldn't try and take anyone with me when I left; I'd do so quietly and without fuss.

Why? Because I'm not so small-minded and petty that I think the whole game needs to be catered to my tastes alone. Do I want SGRAs in the game? Yes I do. Do I think that they should retool the original content? Yes I do. Does that mean I ONLY want to play SGRA content? No, it does not. Honestly I'd be happy if they did more work on PvP because it'd make the PvPers happier (presumably). I have no problem with them getting what they want. That's totally cool with me. It's content I'll never ever see and still I'm in favour of them working on and improving it.

So no, sorry, we'll have to disagree. There's a massive difference between saying 'I want this in because that's where my interests lie' and 'If those people get what they want then I'm leaving.' The latter is tremendously selfish and to boil all MMO players down to the same motivations is a gross oversimplification.
The problem I have is not that you want time and resources invested into this same gender romance thing. The problem is that you want to "retool" the old content. That's waste of time. We all know how slow they are with developing new story content. Lets not make it even slower by coming back again and again to change old content.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
05.23.2013 , 03:04 PM | #1398
Quote: Originally Posted by Bytemite View Post
But if those romance quests can exist after the other quests are completed, that might not be an issue. I suspect that they aren't though, because I suspect all companion quests are considered a quest chain, with some flagged as available or not depending on the gender of your player character, what level you are, where you are in the class story, and what affection you have. Meaning that in order to finish that companion's story, you would have to have skipped over the relevant companion romance quests in the process because they weren't available to you.

It's like a system of checks, have you done this quest yet? Okay, then you can do this one, but oh wait, you're not the right gender for that quest, but the next quest after that is available.
That's a good point, I hadn't considered that.

Still, I'd hope that should they bring SGRAs to current companions, they'd implement it such a manner as to be 1-50 content, available to those who have leveled and maxed.

Though, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride I'd have a full stable by now with all things I've wished for over SGR/A's in this game.

Bytemite's Avatar


Bytemite
05.23.2013 , 03:11 PM | #1399
Quote:
The problem I have is not that you want time and resources invested into this same gender romance thing. The problem is that you want to "retool" the old content. That's waste of time. We all know how slow they are with developing new story content. Lets not make it even slower by coming back again and again to change old content.
That's why if they do any retooling, they don't have to do it all at once, they can get it done when they can. They can work on other stuff too. Even the people who want SGR I'm sure also want new story content. Pro-SGR people just also want some sort of indication they haven't been forgotten. I don't blame them for that. Makeb was a start, but there's still a ways to go.

Bytemite's Avatar


Bytemite
05.23.2013 , 03:14 PM | #1400
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
That's a good point, I hadn't considered that.

Still, I'd hope that should they bring SGRAs to current companions, they'd implement it such a manner as to be 1-50 content, available to those who have leveled and maxed.
Agreed. Not really that fair to put people through 1-50 content with them hoping for some outcome, then implement the stuff they want then say lol nope gotta reroll to see it.

The boards would turn into an inferno.