Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Seireeni
05.17.2013 , 05:30 AM | #1361
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
It isn't worth the pain and angst. Maybe that's my own experience surfacing, but of all the RP I've done that involves a relationship between my character and another player's character, only one managed to avoid being pain free (and even so, that was only just). People who cling, people who are emotionally abusive, people who love angst, people who do things without telling you (ie: engage in a storyline you don't consent to that involves your character), people who get their RL emotions entangled with their character's, people who stalk you when rejected, people who can't even adhere to the canon of the game. <= All of these things have happened to me. When you're playing with these sorts of emotions, they are bound to spill over into RL. (For full disclosure, I've fallen into the "people who get their RL emotions entangled with her character's" category at least once - sometimes it's very hard to avoid when you're lonely. I know it's irrational, and maybe not emotionally mature (hey, I was almost half the age I am now at the time!), but it hurts nonetheless.)

IMHO, RPing romances (with other player's characters) brings out the worst that RPing has to offer unless you're RPing with someone you know personally and trust (like your real life partner), and who is on the same page as you with regard to what style of role play they enjoy. Otherwise, it's just an emotional minefield.
Feels weird reading this, since I actually have had only good experiences about my RPG characters romancing other people's RPG characters - though, I do my RPG elsewhere, mostly on forums. But it also might have something to do with the fact that I mostly RPG with people I have RPGed with for years, so I kind of am "at the same page" with them. I.e. if something really major is being planned that inclueds my character, the player planning this thing usually first asks if I'm fine with it before actually doing it.

But anyway, sure in RPG server you can RPG your character to marry another character of the same gender, but not everyone plays on a RPG server. *Waves from Red Eclipse the European PVE server*.
Oh, and seriously, someone thinks that people in the age of 16 are not ready to see 2 men/women kissing? Then you should really start campaining against the Sims games, they are mostly 12+ (my The Sims 2 is actually 7+ I think) and you can do a lot more stuff than just nicely kiss people in there...
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - And a few other servers too - The Firslay Legacy

Tatile
05.17.2013 , 05:34 AM | #1362
Not The Sims, man, not The Sims.

You know what else I found out today? I've been posting in the Short Fiction Challenge thread for over a year and have 306 posts in it. This thread has been open a couple of months and I have nearly 220 posts. Oh my god.

Also, people seem to have this weird assumption that anyone interested in the story in this game must automagically be RPers playing only on RP servers doing all the RP all the time.

Seireeni
05.17.2013 , 05:54 AM | #1363
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Wait when your butler steals your baby. Or you try to make friends with a wolf and your lawn suddenly sets on fire a couple of days later, and so do your sims if they are outside. Or when your house starts bugging so that the mailman pretty much dances some robot dance next to your mailbox. That one was pretty annoying, I actually had to delete that house because the pop-up window showing how my sims just got bills couldn't be closed, it just popped up again.

But anyway, the point is, that at least in sims 2 you can do stuff (that imo looks even more...interesting) on the sofa wearing nothing but your underwear (or swimming suits, sometimes those seem to cover even less than underwear). So that's 12+, but 16+ people can't handle 2 characters of same gender kissing each other? Weird.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - And a few other servers too - The Firslay Legacy

Tatile
05.17.2013 , 05:57 AM | #1364
No, the Fade-to-Black blows their minds because they can't see anything and their stunted imaginations can't fill in the blanks

Parents like to ignore game ratings and then blame the developers when their precious little babies get exposed to guns or kissing. Gosh, it's not like the ratings also come with pictograms for the literary challenged.

SithKoriandr
05.17.2013 , 08:33 AM | #1365
Wow. Unless I'm the one who misread it, you all seem to be missing the point of the one post. She wasn't talking about the games RP scenes, she was talking about who you end up RPing with when RPing with another player, not the single player RP with a NPC companion that you all seem to be pointing to.

Basically, you don't want to be the 25 year old ERPing with the 16 (if not younger) player.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

OneBrokenSoul
05.17.2013 , 03:52 PM | #1366
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Wow. Unless I'm the one who misread it, you all seem to be missing the point of the one post. She wasn't talking about the games RP scenes, she was talking about who you end up RPing with when RPing with another player, not the single player RP with a NPC companion that you all seem to be pointing to.

Basically, you don't want to be the 25 year old ERPing with the 16 (if not younger) player.
And this is why I no longer ERP. Too dangerous! If I RP any sort of relationships, I steer away from anything explicit, and keep things "Fade to Black". This also alleviates most of the stalker syndrome... which I HAVE experienced before in NWN, and NWN2. Not fun. Keeping things PG-rated seems to keep away the creeps. But I know where to draw the line in RP'ing relationships, and I strictly maintain those boundaries.

*shrugs* And also, I am not saying that the relationships with the NPC's shouldn't be changed. They should. Hell, most of my Mass Effect Shepards were male because I adored the Tali, and Jack romances, and the Liara one felt just..... off. She was just too naiive, and immature for my tastes. I don't really become as immersed when I play a male character, as I do when I play my own gender.

Mainly, I am merely mentioning that there is an alternative, since Bioware isn't stepping up for us in this category.

Kateho
05.22.2013 , 07:04 AM | #1367
I loved my ingame gay-kiss. Thank you Bioware !
<3

Tatile
05.22.2013 , 11:31 AM | #1368
Quote: Originally Posted by Kateho View Post
I loved my ingame gay-kiss. Thank you Bioware !
<3
The Imperial one was really rather sweet

Need to level my Trooper ._. My Smug is on Makeb, but she's straight, so no Makeb-mini-romance for her.

GarrickBlackSun
05.22.2013 , 01:17 PM | #1369
Aaargh......

If they do Pay2Gay and only for one new companion (unless s/he is REALLY EFFING cool/interesting/relatable etc) I might just unsubscribe then... If they DO do Pay2Gay they should make it for ALL of the CURRENT companions as well, or make a new companion for EVERY class. Not a tacked on one like HK, as nice as he is. As well as actually add more to every class's personal story rather than a giant clusterf*** free for all planet like Makeb. They need to serve to their fanbase and add more to increase the players' IMMERSION. That's what keeps people subbing AND playing, and therefore only serves to increase their potential profits. $.02

Tatile
05.22.2013 , 01:26 PM | #1370
Whilst Pay2Gay would be a bad move in terms of their relationship both with the community and the general LGBT gaming population (its success or failure, after all, could have repercussions elsewhere) and would more likely serve to alienate SGRA hopefuls rather than ingratiate them to the game, Bioware: Austin and their EA managers aren't exactly known for making... informed decisions.

And as much as I'd like to tell them why I think Pay2Gay would be a bad idea, they don't listen to us anymore, which is rather sad.