Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Noblis
05.09.2013 , 03:29 PM | #1301
Quote: Originally Posted by Bytemite View Post
Current studies indicate 60% of MMORPG players are male and 40% are female.

Despite certain attitudes and behaviours that might be encountered in game, one of which I just related, MMORPGs are one of the more women friendly genres out there, in part because demand from males gamers for female avatars also happened to create an inviting first impression for women.

Not arguing one way or another, just putting thst out there.
This sounds very plausible.
My short take : While the guys in an MMO tend to behave as if they are in an "all men's club," they create female
avatars to leer at for hours on end. In doing so, female players feel more comfortable playing the game.
Once the woman is discovered as an authentic female, the men will either hound her until she quits or the
men will help her with every quest and give her free rare loot. A roll of the dice ...
But, alas, no SGR for females before level 50. I guess the males would feel compelled to "go there."
No Lady of Pain for me on Tatooine (if only to weird out Mako.)
Hold up ! If we save Han now, there won't be anything for us to do at the beginning
of ROTJ !

SithKoriandr
05.09.2013 , 06:30 PM | #1302

Despite certain attitudes and behaviours that might be encountered in game, one of which I just related, MMORPGs are one of the more women friendly genres out there, in part because demand from males gamers for female avatars also happened to create an inviting first impression for women.

Not arguing one way or another, just putting that out there.
If I remember correctly, City of Heroes had a more even split among the player base as well, when it came to female/male players.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

MelodyofLegends
05.09.2013 , 08:20 PM | #1303
Quote: Originally Posted by Noblis View Post
This sounds very plausible.
My short take :Once the woman is discovered as an authentic female, the men will either hound her until she quits or the
men will help her with every quest and give her free rare loot. A roll of the dice ...

No Lady of Pain for me on Tatooine (if only to weird out Mako.)
I don't think trashy behavior like that is so common these days.. I mean at least not in my Big sister's experience... from what she has told me, she stated to me that she has had a pretty decent experience in the communities of the mmorpgs she plays.... although she did meet her boyfriend through online gaming.. (lotro to be specific) so that may have given her a rose colored view of the situation...
an absolute love that will bring warmth to a frozen world....

SithKoriandr
05.09.2013 , 09:01 PM | #1304
Quote: Originally Posted by MelodyofLegends View Post
I don't think trashy behavior like that is so common these days.. I mean at least not in my Big sister's experience... from what she has told me, she stated to me that she has had a pretty decent experience in the communities of the mmorpgs she plays.... although she did meet her boyfriend through online gaming.. (lotro to be specific) so that may have given her a rose colored view of the situation...
Free loot, not so much, hound them to the point of putting them on ignore, still happens.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Jennica
05.10.2013 , 03:55 AM | #1305
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
That survey takes into account facebook games and games played on ones phone.
And it somehow proves that overwhelming majority of gamers are males?

Oh, thanks. Glad to hear it.

Kioma
05.10.2013 , 06:21 AM | #1306
Quote: Originally Posted by MelodyofLegends View Post
LotRO is a very friendly MMO environment for the most part - at least, of all the MMOs I've ever played LotRO was always the one with the nicest people (and not by a small amount; it wins hands-down). There's jerks everywhere but there always seems to be fewer of them in LotRO. So it might actually be LotRO giving her a faintly rose-hued tinge to her sight, not the boyfriend thing so much.

Certainly I've witnessed far nastier behaviour on WoW. I haven't on SWTOR but mainly because I shut off General as soon as I make a character (mostly due to experiences on WoW).
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Bytemite
05.10.2013 , 08:54 AM | #1307
Here's an article with the 60:40 number, evaluating EverQuest. Also goes deeper into the why discussion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7796482.stm

Still think the availability of female avatars is a major draw. Can't really imagine too many female players playing a game with only 300-esque oiled down gladiator hulk avatars unless it's for the laughs.

I don't turn off swtor gen chat at all. There is on occasion some seriously messed up garbage about women on there sometimes, but there's also pushback - probably FROM actual female players - and it's pointless to get offended because the guys who think that way about women are mostly speaking from an embittered position. Their opinion doesn't really represent what women are like OR what guys are like.

The one thing I don't like about the swtor gen chat community is how people asking for help get shamed. I solo everything myself, but it seems unnecessary to look down on players who actually want to work together on stuff, and that is really not a way to build a good community. I figure most of the problem comes from bad behaviour on the beginning planets getting amplified up the chain, and that a few nice players camping out there could improve things on all the servers. But that's off topic.

I have been on female characters who get hit on though, and I'm like, really? Do you realize just how bad an idea this is? They haven't been rude, but... It's still kinda mind boggling. And there was one time I was playing my jedi guardian (male character) and teamed up with someone with a girl avatar, who was also kind of obviously a girl in real life. Got accused of white knighting. Awkward.

I've also been on LotrO back in the early days. I agree, good community, good game, good players, but I dunno, for some reason it couldn't hold me. I think maybe I'm so used to gen chat trolls that a game just doesn't feel right if they aren't around.

SithKoriandr
05.10.2013 , 10:48 AM | #1308
Quote: Originally Posted by Jennica View Post
And it somehow proves that overwhelming majority of gamers are males?
The point I was saying, was different kind of games, so you're going to have numbers that may not correlate as well to the game in question (TOR).

Even the article linked by Bytemite called the information questionable (for various reasons).

Then it's brought up, the addition of female avatars. If we go with that idea, then look at 50/50 split on genders in gaming, and then look at the numbers for BW's ME title, where 84% of Sheperds created where male...then either it's not the draw of making female avatars when 50% of gamers may be female, it has to be something else, other than making a female avatar that gives games appeal.

I'm inclined to believe the social aspect. But I base that on my own preferences...I prefer a social community with my MMO. Sadly, I've found TOR's lacking (best to generally solo, unless you have a dedicated leveling partner), general chat to be annoying, and only the stories really keeping me in game.

Bytemite
05.10.2013 , 11:22 AM | #1309
Well, I didn't really say female avatars was the ONLY reason, just that it might've provided female gamers an initial foothold into the genre. And that for obvious reasons something that looks like Duke Nukem is probably not going to draw as many female gamers.

As for Mass Effect, I suspect it's because of traditional gender stereotypes associated with the military as to why most main characters for Mass Effect are created male. Even girl gamers might be creating male avatars there because many of them may feel that it "fits better with the story."

I'd be curious if there's a similar phenomenon happening with troopers in swtor.

SithKoriandr
05.10.2013 , 11:54 AM | #1310
Well, I didn't really say female avatars was the ONLY reason, just that it might've provided female gamers an initial foothold into the genre. And that for obvious reasons something that looks like Duke Nukem is probably not going to draw as many female gamers.

As for Mass Effect, I suspect it's because of traditional gender stereotypes associated with the military as to why most main characters for Mass Effect are created male. Even girl gamers might be creating male avatars there because many of them may feel that it "fits better with the story."

I'd be curious if there's a similar phenomenon happening with troopers in swtor.
Well, I didn't say only reason either. And I mentioned certain games not as likely to draw a female gamer in (like Madden Football). Point being, just because 50% of gamers are female, doesn't mean individual games have a 50% female player base. TOR could very well be 50/50 split, could lean one way or the other.

Truthfully, in game, I really don't care. I have never asked, nor cared to find out a players real gender. I have found out, since it seems plenty of players seem like they have to announce it to everyone, and I have found some lie about it for one reason or another.

But if players feel TOR leans heavily towards straight males, even with close to 50% of gamers being female, maybe BW knows that's a majority of it's playerbase? Or maybe it's just unintentional and just looks that way to those who feel they're not being catered too?