Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

nateslice
04.27.2013 , 09:41 PM | #1171
Quote: Originally Posted by WeirdnGilly View Post
kinda like how mass effect and dragon age are "the gay rpgs" that totally flopped, right? oh wait.

or maybe it's like when 'the L word', 'noah's ark', 'queer as folk', and 'will & grace' were on TV and all the straight viewers felt marginalized and didn't watch.... oh wait.

or when brokeback mtn or a single man were "those gay movies" that no one saw...

oh wait.

relax. pretty sure no one cares or even thinks about whether you're gay or not.
So, you're saying the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games have MORE same-sex flirt options than opposite-sex ones? I don't think that's true.

Also, you neglected to mention Six Feet Under. IMO, David was the coolest and most likeable character on that show, so you're doing him a grave injustice (EDIT: no pun intended).

By the way:
Real gay people criticized The L Word for being "too glamorous". It portrayed a Penthouse Forum version of lesbianism.
Noah's Arc flopped.
Queer As Folk flopped.
Will & Grace did well, I have to admit. I like Debra Messing, so this makes me happy.
Brokeback Mountain pulled in $178 million at the box office. Not bad. Not a blockbuster, but better than I'd have expected.
A Single Man pulled in $24 million at the box office. That's a flop.

SithKoriandr
04.27.2013 , 10:50 PM | #1172
Quote: Originally Posted by nateslice View Post
So, you're saying the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games have MORE same-sex flirt options than opposite-sex ones? I don't think that's true.

Also, you neglected to mention Six Feet Under. IMO, David was the coolest and most likeable character on that show, so you're doing him a grave injustice (EDIT: no pun intended).

By the way:
Real gay people criticized The L Word for being "too glamorous". It portrayed a Penthouse Forum version of lesbianism.
Noah's Arc flopped.
Queer As Folk flopped.
Will & Grace did well, I have to admit. I like Debra Messing, so this makes me happy.
Brokeback Mountain pulled in $178 million at the box office. Not bad. Not a blockbuster, but better than I'd have expected.
And Brokeback took in that much because of the hype more than anything. It really wasn't that great of a movie. With a lot of positive reviews being about it's scenery. But it also came out in a different time. But a great movie, it was not.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

WeirdnGilly
04.27.2013 , 10:51 PM | #1173
Quote: Originally Posted by nateslice View Post
So, you're saying the Mass Effect games have MORE same-sex flirt options than opposite-sex ones? I don't think that's true.

By the way:
Noah's Arc flopped.
Queer As Folk flopped.
Don't think straight people the world over were threatened by any of these, don't think they rushed out to make more "straight" flix to compensate. Pretty sure L Word and Queer As Folk went on for many seasons, QAF even going so far as to have 2 (or more?) separate entries from different countries. Wouldn't consider that a flop in my book. BUT... not really my point anyway. That's fine if you chose to miss it, I expected as much.

Gonna step out now. Was almost amused by your post at first... now it just makes me sad. I'll never understand the hysterics people put themselves into over such harmlessness.

Noblis
04.28.2013 , 05:12 AM | #1174
I guess so-called "straight" movies and "straight" TV series NEVER flop...
Seems like a weak argument.
Anyways, it's just a game so I don't think any RATIONAL person needs to worry about being changed
by the buttons the will never click.
Hold up ! If we save Han now, there won't be anything for us to do at the beginning
of ROTJ !

stormdrakelord
04.28.2013 , 05:51 AM | #1175
Quote: Originally Posted by Noblis View Post
I guess so-called "straight" movies and "straight" TV series NEVER flop...
Seems like a weak argument.
Anyways, it's just a game so I don't think any RATIONAL person needs to worry about being changed
by the buttons the will never click.
I personally think that the only TV show that has any sign of lesbianism that did well is Lost Girl (Show about a bisexual Succubus). I have not watched the current Season, but I know that it has the main character and the Doctor chick together.

still does not look good for gays/lesbians in the media.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

Seireeni
04.28.2013 , 06:03 AM | #1176
Quote: Originally Posted by stormdrakelord View Post
I personally think that the only TV show that has any sign of lesbianism that did well is Lost Girl (Show about a bisexual Succubus). I have not watched the current Season, but I know that it has the main character and the Doctor chick together.

still does not look good for gays/lesbians in the media.
In the seasons of 9th and 10th Doctor in Doctor Who, there's a character that shows up here and there. In Doctor Who's spinoff series Torchwood, it is shown clearly that this character is gay. However, if I remember correctly, in the Doctor Who -episodes you can actually get the picture that he's the type of guy who kind of flirts a little to everyone (I think he's doing more of that to women in Doctor Who, actually), so I guess this won't count, since you more or less have to watch Torchwood to find out about this.

Tatile
04.28.2013 , 06:17 AM | #1177
Captain Jack Harkness is actually flamboyantly omnisexual - he comes from the future and doesn't have the same hang ups about sex, gender or species that contemporary Earth-humans do; his actor, John Barrowman, is quite gay.

And, equal SGRA options will make straight people feel uncomfortable? Excuse me while I'll laugh at that absurd notion.

That's like saying a group that is 50% women is dominate by the ladies and makes the little men feel uncomfortable because now they're on equal footing.

Seireeni
04.28.2013 , 06:34 AM | #1178
^ The point still stands, Harkness does seem to act pretty "clean" in Doctor Who, little flirt to left and right to everyone but nothing serious, while in Torchwood, he does seem to prefer males. (And humans, though there are not too many aliens hanging around that would stop messing things up so they can be flirted with). But Doctor Who IS a popular show, and there is a character that does look like a bi/gay for an average viewer.

Tatile
04.28.2013 , 06:40 AM | #1179
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
^ The point still stands, Harkness does seem to act pretty "clean" in Doctor Who, little flirt to left and right to everyone but nothing serious, while in Torchwood, he does seem to prefer males. (And humans, though there are not too many aliens hanging around that would stop messing things up so they can be flirted with). But Doctor Who IS a popular show, and there is a character that does look like a bi/gay for an average viewer.
They're doing more gayness now (although a lot of people accuse Moffat of "queer baiting") with Smith and without dressing it up for laughs, for the most part. Like Dinosaurs in Space and... I am a terrible person I forget her name, the Silurian... VASTRA. Vastra and her wife, Jenny Flint, who (I think, at least) are a fairly good representation of a lesbian couple, in an action packed adventure world. But yes, Doctor Who is a bit watered down because "it's for families", but I think the watering down is more for the pearl-clutching parents, rather than their kids.

Seireeni
04.28.2013 , 06:49 AM | #1180
Well, that's even more proof, then. I personally haven't seen much of Smith yet, since Finland gets their Doctor Who REALLY late (last summer, they showed Eccleston's season and Tennant's 2 seasons and started showing it again last week from Tennant's last season), but Netflix had Tennant's 3rd season and Smith's first one, so I have seen them, too. But it's good to hear they are bringing that side to Doctor Who, too. I actually really liked how people weren't all straight in Torchwood.