Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stormdrakelord
04.27.2013 , 10:35 AM | #1131
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
This is true. But this being a RPG, sounds like someone needs to learn to use their imagination a bit more.
Honestly? The "romance" is a joke, which is the reason I do not care for it, or see it as more than what they are.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

nateslice
04.27.2013 , 11:00 AM | #1132
I don't think the low number of same-sex romance options is a problem, nor is the unequal distribution faction-wise. Here's why...

Going from 1-50, some player characters only get one romance option with a companion, and one with someone outside the team. The male Trooper comes to mind.

The fact is, an overwhelming majority of people are heterosexual. I really don't think my male Trooper should have more same-sex opportunities than opposite-sex ones. It'd really stretch the credibility of the story. There should be more women than men interested in dating him.

The same goes for pretty much any female player character who's not a Smuggler or Agent. Why, in the grand scheme of things, would more women than men be attracted to her? It just wouldn't make sense.
Star Wars goodness from Richard Cheese:
Star Wars Cantina
The Imperial March

stormdrakelord
04.27.2013 , 11:07 AM | #1133
Quote: Originally Posted by nateslice View Post
I don't think the low number of same-sex romance options is a problem, nor is the unequal distribution faction-wise. Here's why...

Going from 1-50, some player characters only get one romance option with a companion, and one with someone outside the team. The male Trooper comes to mind.

The fact is, an overwhelming majority of people are heterosexual. I really don't think my male Trooper should have more same-sex opportunities than opposite-sex ones. It'd really stretch the credibility of the story. There should be more women than men interested in dating him.

The same goes for pretty much any female player character who's not a Smuggler or Agent. Why, in the grand scheme of things, would more women than men be attracted to her? It just wouldn't make sense.
+1, this is a good point.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

Tatile
04.27.2013 , 11:26 AM | #1134
Equal means equal.

You get Sergeant Jaxo in 1-50? 55+ you can... I dunno Major Barry. That's equal on "options for male characters".

It works out like this: five options for straight men, five options for gay men, five options for straight women, five options for lesbians.

QwibQwib
04.27.2013 , 11:30 AM | #1135
Quote: Originally Posted by stormdrakelord View Post
Honestly? The "romance" is a joke, which is the reason I do not care for it, or see it as more than what they are.
You think the romances are a joke? That's fine. I can understand that. Not everyone cares for the same things.

As for myself, I'm a sucker for characterization, so I enjoyed the Cytharat side-story. I thought it was well done. I don't care that it was mostly just a few subtle [Flirt]s. To me, it added another level of emotional investment in the game. It made me feel like the characters are a little more alive. The romances aren't a major part of the story, but they can certainly give it a bit more flavor (and spice).

If you don't like the romances, you don't have to choose [Flirt]s. I don't see why it's a big deal.

I don't like PvP or Ops that much, but I don't go around arguing against their inclusion.
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

nateslice
04.27.2013 , 11:41 AM | #1136
I don't object to the inclusion of same-sex material; it doesn't interest me, but I know it makes other people happy, and that's fine. But it does need to be kept within the bounds of realism. And far more people are straight than gay in real life.

And then there's the matter of success rate. My Trooper hit on at least a couple of women before meeting Jaxo. I remember one who shot him down cold, and another who played him for a chump. That's not unrealistic; not every woman should be interested in dating him. So, maybe if a couple of same-sex flirt options were added that similarly resulted in, "What? Ewww, no!", that would be cool.
Star Wars Cantina
The Imperial March

SithKoriandr
04.27.2013 , 11:45 AM | #1137
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Equal means equal.

You get Sergeant Jaxo in 1-50? 55+ you can... I dunno Major Barry. That's equal on "options for male characters".

It works out like this: five options for straight men, five options for gay men, five options for straight women, five options for lesbians.
Equal in MMOs is never going to happen. Or else some of characters are going to need buffed and/or nerfed, and I'm willing to to put in some leeway/margin of error.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Tatile
04.27.2013 , 11:49 AM | #1138
I don't object to the inclusion of same-sex material; it doesn't interest me, but I know it makes other people happy, and that's fine. But it does need to be kept within the bounds of realism. And far more people are straight than gay in real life.

And then there's the matter of success rate. My Trooper hit on at least a couple of women before meeting Jaxo. I remember one who shot him down cold, and another who played him for a chump. That's not unrealistic; not every woman should be interested in dating him. So, maybe if a couple of same-sex flirt options were added that similarly resulted in, "What? Ewww, no!", that would be cool.
(emphasis mine)

We will disagree on this point, but only because I believe that, as a game and a fictional universe, Bioware can get away with making the distribution and representation equal for all three sexualities in question (in NPC options, allowing your character to be straight, gay or bi.) You think it should limited by whatever recent data has been produced.

Also, yes the "success rate" should be reasonable, but I would also argue that Bioware only approach that idea when they actively start to make the availability equal. It shouldn't be that you get three SGR [Flirt]s across twenty levels and two of them are when you're out-and-out rejected, where OGR [Flirt]s number closer ten and have only one rejection.

nateslice
04.27.2013 , 11:56 AM | #1139
Keep in mind, too, that some classes just get more action than others. And if you use the ones who get more action as the baseline for equality, you're going to have some classes that get far more same-sex options than opposite-sex ones. And I'm sorry, but that would be dumb.

If equality is really what you're after, you need to use the classes who get the least opposite-sex action as the baseline.
Star Wars Cantina
The Imperial March

Tatile
04.27.2013 , 11:59 AM | #1140
If equality is really what you're after, you need to use the classes who get the least opposite-sex action as the baseline.
I'm referring to, by and large, world-NPC [Flirt]s/romances and companion romances. In class stories, it should be based by class - Sith Inquisitor doesn't get as many [Flirt]s as Agent, but the options in storylines should be equal within them. Make sense?