Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stuffystuffs
02.05.2013 , 02:08 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I'm rather stupidly hoping this can be done "fairly", even though it's pretty clear that isn't an option.
Yeah, I can't see how they can.

I know that some people posting in this thread stated that they held off leveling characters in anticipation of SGRAs, but I'm assuming that a lot of people who would be interested in this content just went ahead and leveled their characters, believing that they'd be able to access the new romance content when added in (it is kind of a silly idea to add in new content that those who've already leveled can't access).

Assuming SGRAs will be with current companions, I just think it best if it would be added on in future companion story content that would be accessible only after completing the current companion storylines. Using Vette as an example, a female SW would then need to complete her existing companion dialog arc before accessing the new content (and the SGRA) though you wouldn't necessarily have to be 50 to do this on a new toon. Sure, it's unfair in the sense that the male SW can start a romance story-line earlier in the relationship but this wouldn't punish people who have leveled and done the companions quests and make the content completely unavailable (unless they re-roll...which not everyone has time to do). This would also make the Vette female romance arc different from the male version, which was a goal of theirs (similar to the Kaidan romance arc for male vs. females in the Mass Effect series).
Node guarder

Tatile
02.05.2013 , 02:13 PM | #102
Yeah, I can see how them doing that, if it's not possible to separate the romance conversations from the non-romantic (and having the romance trigger separately from different conversation queues... I could probably explains this better with more caffeine). Of course we won't know for sure until Bioware drops the specific patch on us, which won't be for a (very long) while yet.

Lent_San
02.05.2013 , 02:18 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Yeah, I can't see how they can.
I know that some people posting in this thread stated that they held off leveling characters in anticipation of SGRAs, but I'm assuming that a lot of people who would be interested in this content just went ahead and leveled their characters, believing that they'd be able to access the new romance content when added in (it is kind of a silly idea to add in new content that those who've already leveled can't access).
Assuming SGRAs will be with current companions, I just think it best if it would be added on in future companion story content that would be accessible only after completing the current companion storylines. Using Vette as an example, a female SW would then need to complete her existing companion dialog arc before accessing the new content (and the SGRA) though you wouldn't necessarily have to be 50 to do this on a new toon. Sure, it's unfair in the sense that the male SW can start a romance story-line earlier in the relationship but this wouldn't punish people who have leveled and done the companions quests and make the content completely unavailable (unless they re-roll...which not everyone has time to do). This would also make the Vette female romance arc different from the male version, which was a goal of theirs (similar to the Kaidan romance arc for male vs. females in the Mass Effect series).
If they're not working on overhauling old companion content all together, this would be the best solution. Not preferred, I should state, and leveling my Scoundrel to 50 with OGR flirts being thrown at him left and right (he turns them down, mind you...) is a little tedious, but rather than having no romance with existing comps at all, I'd take this. With cream on top. And maybe a cherry.

SelinaK
02.05.2013 , 02:42 PM | #104
The best way would just to give every player a token to reset their companion stories if they wish, kind of like a player character respec but for story

So they can then play through them again per conversation in their own time, so basically after each convo the companion character then immediately gets the mission/talk icon above their head again after the convo ends

It would be pretty horrible to have to replay the hours of time to spent to play the whole game again when you know all the story already for the spread-out companion conversations, so I think that would be the best way
[My posts] SGR factsss
Type /cjoin OOC ingame for organising RP (globalchans between servers plees? )
Official RP forum + Events! IC news/gossip Character listing Fiction Art Story/Universe

Tatile
02.05.2013 , 02:45 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by SelinaK View Post
The best way would just to give every player a token to reset their companion stories if they wish, kind of like a player character respec but for story
I like that idea. Give everyone enough for each romance option free the first time round, then make them available on the Cartel Market.

Palar
02.05.2013 , 02:48 PM | #106
3 years? Between this apparently being the big thing they've been working on since before launch, Joveth deciding that clarity questions were off-topic in the Clarification thread, and then the subtle thread name-change to show that's all the answers we're getting... I think you're optimistic.

"(We) do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future." More of the same, or something actually resembling Companion arcs? Wait, stupid question.

... looks like the comments I could make about it have been done already, so I'll just let it go. Old news now, after all.

Lent_San
02.05.2013 , 02:50 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by SelinaK View Post
The best way would just to give every player a token to reset their companion stories if they wish, kind of like a player character respec
So they can then play through them again per conversation in their own time, so basically after each convo the companion character then immediately gets the mission/talk icon above their head again after the convo ends
That would actually be quite cool. I'd like to avoid having to level my preferred class again, now new and improved with SGR options (if that ever happens). Then again, having one convo after another would rush a possible romance, if you've reached end of chap 3 already and have the affection maxed out. That one, imo, would need some working on.

Lent_San
02.05.2013 , 02:51 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I like that idea. Give everyone enough for each romance option free the first time round, then make them available on the Cartel Market.
BTW, didn't they add a Cartel Market suggestion thread? I read something like that. Maybe you should drop it there.

Edit: Whoops, could have edited former post.

Tatile
02.05.2013 , 02:52 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
BTW, didn't they add a Cartel Market suggestion thread? I read something like that. Maybe you should drop it there.
It's a forum and, ehhh, anything remotely SGRA in the General Discussion is just a flame magnet. Rather not.

SelinaK
02.05.2013 , 02:52 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
3 years? Between this apparently being the big thing they've been working on since before launch, Joveth deciding that clarity questions were off-topic in the Clarification thread, and then the subtle thread name-change to show that's all the answers we're getting... I think you're optimistic.

"(We) do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future." More of the same, or something actually resembling Companion arcs? Wait, stupid question
They have promised the companion characters' stories would be fully available to LGBT players several times, in 2011:

"Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature." (Senior Online Community Manager Stephen Reid, 2011-09-13)

and very recently last month after the announcement of Makeb and the disappointment surrounding that:

"I realize that we promised [same-gender relationships] to you guys and that many of you believed that this with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed" (executive producer Jeff Hickman, 2013-01-02)

Source links on this post: www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5811705#post5811705
[My posts] SGR factsss
Type /cjoin OOC ingame for organising RP (globalchans between servers plees? )
Official RP forum + Events! IC news/gossip Character listing Fiction Art Story/Universe