Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Seireeni
04.26.2013 , 05:49 PM | #1071
Quote: Originally Posted by stormdrakelord View Post
I am not saying there is a link between people wanting to Romance companions like Bowdaar and Khem Val, and the ones that want SGR companions (Adding a gay/lesbian companions could solve that issue). But if you allow someone to have one thing, then they will want more, and be angry when you tell them they had enough of it. Best way to avoid problems is to restrict things to certain areas/stories.
I think it's completely different thing to ask to romance a character that would probably never find a human/near human attractive and to ask that some NPCs, inclueding comps, have some other sexuality than the normal hetero one (and of course, the characters that would have sexuality that would fit with the NPC, should be able to romance them).

EDIT
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
I have not read through this entire thread so if this has been discussed previously my apologies. My male sage just completed the main Makeb story line. During the entire story there was only one person with which I had a flirt dialog option. She was not a male. Did I miss something? I haven't completed the staged weekly so perhaps there is someone there I will have the option to flirt with, but I doubt it. So were was my SGRA option? I only play male characters and I predominately play Republic. Where are my SGRA options?
I'm afraid our male/male-romance option is on imperial side. :( Unfortunately.

Tatile
04.26.2013 , 05:52 PM | #1072
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
I have not read through this entire thread so if this has been discussed previously my apologies. My male sage just completed the main Makeb story line. During the entire story there was only one person with which I had a flirt dialog option. She was not a male. Did I miss something? I haven't completed the staged weekly so perhaps there is someone there I will have the option to flirt with, but I doubt it. So were was my SGRA option? I only play male characters and I predominately play Republic. Where are my SGRA options?
You can only be a gay man if you're in the Empire, sorry. I don't know why Bioware did this.

stuffystuffs
04.26.2013 , 05:53 PM | #1073
But where will it end? Will you all ask for everyone in the galaxy to be romanceable/flirtable with the S/S PC? will you want to romance Chagrin or a boss of your faction (Like Satele for Republic folks and a leader of the Imps)?
Um...no.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Want we want is exactly the same thing that the straight characters already have: companion romances and world NPC [Flirt]s.
Wanting what others have is the definition of wanting "special treatment", doncha know?

stormdrakelord
04.26.2013 , 05:53 PM | #1074
And yet, when they give you what you ask for, you complain that it is not what you want. The way I see it, none of you will be happy until everyone in the galaxy can be romanced by either gender, just so everyone can find someone that "fits" them.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

Tatile
04.26.2013 , 05:56 PM | #1075
And yet, when they give you what you ask for, you complain that it is not what you want. The way I see it, none of you will be happy until everyone in the galaxy can be romanced by either gender, just so everyone can find someone that "fits" them.
They divided sexuality on Faction lines, essentially telling people that the Republic is the "wrong" place for gay men and the lesbians can only get small moments with women in the Empire.

NO ONE ASKED FOR THAT.

If you can't see how that's wrong, then you just... argh.

What if you could only romance women with your straight man if you rolled Empire? You have to be Imperial to be a straight man - every male character on the Republic side would get zero [Flirt] options. It would be like straight men didn't exist in the Republic. Can you understand this, now? Can you even begin to comprehend what we are talking about in this thread, at all?

Seireeni
04.26.2013 , 05:57 PM | #1076
They gave us 1 gay man and bunch of bi females. Sure, it's the same as all the heterosexual companions and 50 levels of heterosexual [flirt]s.
It's a great start, but I will be disappointed if that will be all we are ever getting.

ceryxp
04.26.2013 , 06:01 PM | #1077
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
I'm afraid our male/male-romance option is on imperial side. Unfortunately.
Thank you for the quick reply, Seireeni. To be honest I really did not expect much from BW on this subject. I assumed that any SGRA options would be trivial. I had hoped that, even to the small degree that I expected BW to implement options, that my game character persona could more closely reflect my own persona, that of a gay man. I suppose my low expectations where a good thing. Otherwise I might make the leap of logic that by only having a male/male relationship option available to Imperial characters that BW is implying some relationship between being gay and being evil.

stormdrakelord
04.26.2013 , 06:02 PM | #1078
Let's look at Kaliyo for the agent. Just because she is Bisexual does not mean she HAS to be romance-able by a female agent. Lots of Bi people in the real world do not like people they are closest to.

It should stay that way, some people just do not like your character.

Tatile
04.26.2013 , 06:04 PM | #1079
Let's look at Kaliyo for the agent. Just because she is Bisexual does not mean she HAS to be romance-able by a female agent. Lots of Bi people in the real world do not like people they are closest to.

It should stay that way, some people just do not like your character.
All current companions are hero-sexual and discriminate only based on gender. No companion cares about your character's personality, their actions in the storyline, how they look or what species they are. Your attempt at an argument is rendered invalid by the current game mechanics.

stormdrakelord
04.26.2013 , 06:09 PM | #1080
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
All current companions are hero-sexual and discriminate only based on gender. No companion cares about your character's personality, their actions in the storyline, how they look or what species they are. Your attempt at an argument is rendered invalid by the current game mechanics.
Yet the original game had only hetero flirts and romances. Leave the current companions alone and ask for NEW gay/lesbian companions.

it is as simple as accepting what you are given and not trying to force old content to fit your worldview. I do not like a couple of my Gunslinger's companions, but do I ask for the option to kill them off? no, I accept the fact that I have to have them but I never use them, it is the same with Romances, accept that the current companions just do not want your character, and ask for new companions who will.