Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Pietrastor
04.18.2013 , 09:03 PM | #1011
Are there any male-male flirts on Rep side in ROTHC? Finished the story on my Trooper and currently going through dailies and Staged Weekly and haven't spotted even a single one-liner

Kioma
04.18.2013 , 09:07 PM | #1012
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Well, we do know the overal lead writing direction from the beginning through Makeb was with Daniel Erickson, and he is gone. Alex Freed, whom I was quoting, is also gone (sadly, I love his writing). I think we've seen the last of the writing direction from the old team. What we get in the future is largely unknown territory.
I don't have a problem with unknown territory, really. And while I do think this spells the death knell for herosexuality (which some people will be overjoyed by) I'm entirely happy to be wrong.

Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
PS - sorry for assuming you misunderstood the quote, I understand what you're saying and it even initially put me off a tiny bit, but I think Twitter just doesn't allow for much elegance.
No, that's cool. My short response certainly looked like I was misunderstanding, I realise that now. My bad.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

stuffystuffs
04.18.2013 , 09:25 PM | #1013
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Because if they're making characters that are exclusive to specific genders then they're not using the herosexual model. They're mutually exclusive for the most part, which is why herosexuality isn't the same as bisexuality.
Now, I wonder if they would ever make a lesbian exclusive romance option.

For some reason, don't think they will.
Node guarder

SithKoriandr
04.18.2013 , 09:47 PM | #1014
It does. A definitive end.
Which I'm actually suprised about. I would have bet that's how they would have gone about it.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Kioma
04.18.2013 , 10:43 PM | #1015
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Now, I wonder if they would ever make a lesbian exclusive romance option.

For some reason, don't think they will.
I couldn't say whether they will or not but if they're going to make M/M exclusive romances they definitely should make F/F exclusive romances. I'll be incredibly disappointed if they do one and not the other.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tatile
04.19.2013 , 02:54 AM | #1016
I couldn't say whether they will or not but if they're going to make M/M exclusive romances they definitely should make F/F exclusive romances. I'll be incredibly disappointed if they do one and not the other.
It's why I was not surprised to find out the Lady of Makeb was bi, not gay. Yes, there's biphobia and bi erasure, but bisexual women seem to outnumber bisexual men in media (from what I understand) and there appears to be only one reason for that. It's the same reason all the (non-droid) female companions are fully scripted romance options. In this game, at least, there appears to be the message that the women are here for the men, not on their own virtue.

And that makes me wonder, a little, if the Lady of Makeb is bi because she is bi or if she's bi because otherwise the straight male character players would whine they couldn't romance her?

Aryh
04.19.2013 , 03:04 AM | #1017
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
It's why I was not surprised to find out the Lady of Makeb was bi, not gay. Yes, there's biphobia and bi erasure, but bisexual women seem to outnumber bisexual men in media (from what I understand) and there appears to be only one reason for that. It's the same reason all the (non-droid) female companions are fully scripted romance options. In this game, at least, there appears to be the message that the women are here for the men, not on their own virtue.

And that makes me wonder, a little, if the Lady of Makeb is bi because she is bi or if she's bi because otherwise the straight male character players would whine they couldn't romance her?
As a female player I can say that I don't mind not being able to romance Cytharat on my female toons. I quite like it this way, he's exclusively for my male toons.
I can't comment on your final question because I'm not male and not interested in a f/f flirt for my female toons (though I'll definitely watch the scenes on YouTube).
I don't mind, in general, what romance options are available for both genders and which aren't as long as they give me some options that are worthwhile (if they made Cytharat a companion I wouldn't ever need any other flirt option for my males but that's just me)

I found you on twitter as well as the messages you'd spoken of. There's been no answer from the current writers yet, has there? I don't know whether this is a good or a bad sign... Or did I overlook something? I'm not too familiar with Twitter.

Tatile
04.19.2013 , 03:11 AM | #1018
Nah, hardly anyone answers me. I'm know

but they likely also aren't allowed to answer any question that isn't "Yay you have SGR in SWTOR!" and though I'd love to know the reasoning behind the faction-romance split and why all female companions are romance options and why so far the only SGR female companion is bi (reinforcing the idea that the women in this game are here for men), I know it's never going to happen, because it's a "hard" question.

There's no point in saying "Eric Musco" in front of the mirror three times at midnight, either, he'd just pop and go "Yes! We do have SGR in SWTOR. Yay!" and disappear again, all the while followed by a gang of angry and hyperbolic PvP'ers.

Zandilar
04.19.2013 , 07:28 AM | #1019
Firstly, I don't understand this reasoning: "Because X character is exclusively gay, they won't do herosexual characters any more."

1) Any bisexual character will almost always be perceived to be herosexual regardless.
2) Being herosexual is more than just being lesbian, gay, or straight in reflection of the PC's gender. Species, alignment, and looks are all factors also. Every romancable companion is available to every PC of compatible gender regardless of species, alignment, or looks. If we need to distinguish on sexuality, we need to distinguish on the basis of those other factors too. So no matter if the companion is gay, lesbian, bisexual, or straight, if they ignore all other physical traits they're still herosexual. (I am not saying this is a good or a bad thing, I am not complaining about anything thing here. I am simply presenting my point of view, and why I think that there is a hole in the logic as presented above. Also note the other problem - in order to cater to everyone, the number of romancable characters would need to explode exponentially, and no company on Earth has the resources to make that happen in any length of time short of infinity, let alone the computing power it would require. )

Secondly, to address your quote. I hate to say this, but we've seen it already. We have a gay short-romance on Imperial side, and a bisexual female short-romance on Republic. I don't know about the non-Makeb flirts, but that's strike one. I am not expecting to see a romanceable lesbian character in SWTOR any time soon, if ever.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

stuffystuffs
04.19.2013 , 07:57 AM | #1020
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing.

You definitely get my concern as my post was geared less towards "lesbian representation" (though that's important) and more towards the issue of "herosexuality" vs. "gender exclusive romances". Now, it just seems like, "Yeah, gender exclusive romances are great and all...totally the way to go over "herosexuality"...unless straight male PCs are excluded from romancing females...that's bad and stuff. Can't have that."
Node guarder