Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GTM Biased against little guys???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular > Sage
GTM Biased against little guys???

Gumbeau
01.25.2013 , 11:03 AM | #1
I find it odd that my high level characters (50's) have no problem buying items on the GTM, even items for lower characters. But my lower level characters (25 to 30) can't find anything. When I search for any item, I get a blank. Is this the way it should be? Or am I doing something wrong?

Whitering
01.25.2013 , 12:51 PM | #2
You are doing something wrong. I moved almost all my money to my little guys after my trooper hit 50.

I think maybe you are not selecting a quality level, and you have to or you can't even search I think, at least I can't.

My 26-32 levels characters all buy stuff on there all the time. That's on Harbinger though, maybe your server just doesn't cater to the mid level crowd.

Gumbeau
01.25.2013 , 01:13 PM | #3
Interesting, as I am on Harbinger as well. Just a minute ago I tried to find "item modification, type armoring, level any, used by me, stat willpower level 29, with my level 29 Jedi Consular sage. Nothing after 1 minute wait. I logged on with my level 50 Jedi Knight and bingo I found 5 pages of items. I am confused. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Whitering
01.25.2013 , 05:27 PM | #4
Oh don't pick useable by me, it's a bugged feature. Pick willpower though and you should get what you want, you can also pick a level range, but that useable by me thing does not work.

edit, also pick a level range. I think there is probably a level 27 armor mod, but it might be 26 and 28. It's best to put in a level range.

SoonerJBD
01.25.2013 , 07:55 PM | #5
You can't limit your choice to one specific level because with most items and mods, there are only new ones every few levels.

On implants, for example, there are level 29, level 33 and level 37 implants. If you search for level 35 implants, you won't find any because they don't exist.

I am also on Harbinger, and I will say, the prices on the mid-level stuff have gone way up. Even buying blue items at a reasonable price for companions has become cost prohibitive unless you are making a lot of money on a level 50 and passing it down. My main is a Sage and supports all my alts by selling crafted implants. I easily make 500k a day, and I can blow nearly all of that gearing up alts and their companions if I wanted to.

Gumbeau
01.30.2013 , 09:29 AM | #6
I will try the suguestions given. I went to the GTN last night with my level 33 Sage, loking for mods for him and his companion, Qyzen. Nothing. I logged off and logged on with my level 50 Sentinel and guess what? A wealth of mods that could be used by the Sage. I have taken to shopping in this off base way, because I would play than complain. Thanks for the advice.

-Sirus-
01.30.2013 , 09:45 AM | #7
I've never had the type of problems you describe. So, I can't really say whats wrong. The GTN interface does seem to require certain sub-filters to be applied and its not obvious. For item modifications, for example, you need to select a subtype to be able to search.

If you took a screenshot, uploaded it somewhere, and posted a link to it that showed your sage doing a search then did the same with your level 50 character, might be able to find something different. Feel free to blur out your character name or any other info you wouldn't want to share.

Gumbeau
01.30.2013 , 11:32 AM | #8
I just tried the advice given. I entered item modification, armoring, any, Tharan Cedrax, cunning, 1 thru 35. I got NOTHING. My Smuggler, level 50, found 4 pages of stuff. What gives?

Ridickilis
01.30.2013 , 11:54 AM | #9
I have run into these problems you describe but I don't think it's a flawed or bias system. I think what's happening is the lower level stuff is more popular on the gtn than the 50 stuff. Level 50's generally aren't buying gear through the gtn, they're using pvp/pve comms for gear. The low level stuff, everyone wants. There are some days where there is just no resolve mods/armorings at all and other days where that's all that's available. Sometimes it changes within the hour depending on who's online and crafting/listing their items. Sometimes all it takes is going into a 15 minute wz and by the time I'm done there are 5 resolve (or whatever) armorings listed where there was none 15 minutes prior.

I think it just boils down to luck of the draw, time of day and who's listing/looking at that time.

Hehe a few times I've been ninja'ed as well. You know, when you purchase an item and a new mail pops up. Then when you go to retrieve it, the mail has a refund of your money with some dear john letter that states "the item was already sold". Someone else way buying it at the same time (or seconds before you).

EDIT:
Quote: Originally Posted by Gumbeau View Post
I just tried the advice given. I entered item modification, armoring, any, Tharan Cedrax, cunning, 1 thru 35. I got NOTHING. My Smuggler, level 50, found 4 pages of stuff. What gives?
Actually I have found the 'search items for (companion name)' to not work properly. Or I should say I have never figured out how to do this correctly. I always get blanks as well. What you should do is search armorings within a level range, something like 29-33 blue and better. You can do the same with all items listed. No need to see stuff way under or over your level. But yes, I found searching gear that usable for X companion flawed.

-Sirus-
01.30.2013 , 12:08 PM | #10
Strange.

I never use the wearable controls. Maybe they're broken? Try the same search without entering anything in that field.